iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » How Do They Determine What Movies Will Come Out on DVD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do They Determine What Movies Will Come Out on DVD?
Happy_Hawaiian
Rewind Curious
Member # 3826

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Happy_Hawaiian   Email Happy_Hawaiian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been looking around for three movies but they have not come out on DVD yet. Who decides what becomes a DVD or not? I know there have been some pretty bad movies that ended up on DVD and since these three movies are good, I wonder why they haven't been released as a DVD. The movies are Teachers with Nick Nolte, TAP with Gregory Hines and then a 70s film One on One with Robby Benson.
Posts: 2 | From: New jersey | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. I do know that DVD distributors need to purchase the rights to movies in order to release them. Perhaps in the case of the three films you mentioned, the film studios haven't yet given permission. I don't know why, maybe they think the cost of printing and distributing the DVd's would be more than what they would make from the sale of the DVDs.
I'd be interested to find out for sure.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The studio executives probably sit around playing "Rock-Paper-Scisors." The winner gets his pick released on DVD.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They consult with Cindy Mancini before making any movie decisions. Wait a minute if they did that, we would have "Private School" and "License To Drive" on DVD like 5 years ago. [Razz] [Big Grin]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They probably would have to get Cindy Mancini to do the feature-length audio commentary! [Smile]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, I would like to have someone that really knows 80's movies making those decisions for a change. They will release a special edition of a movie that tanked at the box office in no time, but a classic like "Night Of The Comet" is caught up in red tape or something. Is it really that difficult to figure out which older movies have a market out there?

I Think Not! [Razz]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally forgot that movie.. One on One with Robbie Benson, I know I have seen it and liked it alot, thanks for reminding me of it again. It might be one I have to look for on vhs.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
One On One is a classic, though Robbie Benson is no basketball player.

The premise of the story is intriguing enough. Small town and small of stature basketball player Henry Steele (Robby Benson) has spent most of his life doing nothing but practicing and playing basketball. He is recruited by Coach Moreland Smith (G.D. Spradlin) to play basketball for Western University (think UCLA) and Henry accepts. Since Henry is from a small rural school he is totally unprepared for what awaits him in college. The players are much bigger of course, the practices are ten times tougher and he has no clue even as to what his classes will be. Some of the best scenes in One on One are watching Henry overcoming his naiveness as he learns what being a college student is about. In order to make sure that he keeps his grades up he is also sent to be tutored by Janet Hays (Annette O'Toole). Unfortunately for Henry, Janet also hates jocks, a fact that Henry quickly finds out on his first day of tutoring. Henry may be a naive jock, but he is not dumb and uses Janet's degrading put downs to learn as incentive to prove her wrong. However, the more he studies, the more Henry has trouble coping with playing college basketball and it isn't long before Coach Smith asks him to renounce his scholarship.

What will Henry do? Hmm...I love the ending where ...watch it and find out.

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They decide what will NOT be made on DVD by researching what they can do to **** me off the most. Come on, put Howard the stinkin' Duck on DVD. It's infamous, you've got to make it for that. Think of it as a cautionary tale. Come on, Criterion? Anybody?
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JimBrayFan   Author's Homepage   Email JimBrayFan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news ValleyCat, "License to Drive" is set for a 2005 release by Anchor Bay in the summer.

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/index.asp?p=IntheFuture

Posts: 90 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks JimBrayFan, I will definitely pick it up the day it comes out. However after what happened to "Private School" a few months ago, I won't get too excited until it is actually released.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home