iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Some Kind Of Wonderful Fansite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Kind Of Wonderful Fansite
skowmovie
Rewind Curious
Member # 3406

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for skowmovie   Author's Homepage   Email skowmovie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys just wanted to let you know that the Some Kind Of Wonderful Fansite will soon have a new look..and tons more content :-)
Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
skowmovie you keep improving that website everytime I look at it. Nice job. [Cool]

Has SKOW Lover Paul "Big Audio Dynamite Chick Magnet" Shrimpton linked it on this site yet? [Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skowmovie
Rewind Curious
Member # 3406

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for skowmovie   Author's Homepage   Email skowmovie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think so, :-) thank you very much for the compliment!
Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ValleyCat:
skowmovie you keep improving that website everytime I look at it. Nice job. [Cool]

Has SKOW Lover Paul "Big Audio Dynamite Chick Magnet" Shrimpton linked it on this site yet? [Wink]

[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I GO CRAZY, WHEN I'M WITHOUT YOUUUUU.....

love that song, sorry.

haha, i love the scene where watts sees amanda applying her listick in the backseat and so she stomps on the gas peddle...watts is the coolest chick.

it would definitely be nice to have a SKOW special edition dvd! please keep us informed!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to strangle Watts after she did that, but that's because I only watched the movie because Lea Thompson was in it.

But seriously, how could Keith like a chick who was so crazy and jealous to try to screw up his big date?

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ValleyCat:
linked it on this site yet? [Wink]

...It's been linked ages -- since we first knew about it [Smile]
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brode:
I wanted to strangle Watts after she did that, but that's because I only watched the movie because Lea Thompson was in it.

But seriously, how could Keith like a chick who was so crazy and jealous to try to screw up his big date?

Easily. She's more reliable than Amanda, better looking (when she bothers) than Amanda, their relationships based on more than 'ooh, what lovely earrings',...... lert's just say that I'd have made the same choice. If there's one movie role I wish I could say was the story of my life, it's Keith.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't think that Watts is better looking than Amanda (I do wonder how good looking people like Keith and Watts aren't popular, though, Keith especially ... he looks like a movie star). But if you are Keith, you can't just dump Amanda like that. He's an artist, and she is his muse, she is what inspires him ... I'm an artist myself, so I understand how this works. I dunno, I just find it wrong to have Amanda have 20 minutes of character development, and make the audience sympathize with her, and then dump her in the last 2.

I might be biased as a Lea Thompson fan though. Puahaha.

edit: I'd agree about wanting to be Keith though. Nothing's better than standing up to the a-hole, having a gang of toughs on your side, and having two beautiful girls madly in love with you.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

I can see where you're comng from, although I'd debate the theory that Amanda was dumped - after all, she handed back the ear-rings, she gave that big speech about "being right", and I have never actually felt pity for her at the end of the movie - nowhere near as much pity as I felt for her earlier in the movie when she was still 'owned' by the slimeball Hardy.

And BTW - I think it's really funny that you make the comment about someone in a movie looking like a movie star... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
I just don't like when they cast extremely attractive people as unpopular characters in movies. The most guilty thing I've seen of this was Hillary Duff in A Cinderella Story... as if I'm supposed to believe one of the hottest girls in America is a geek and gets picked on in school. If there was a guy in school who looked like Stoltzy, there'd be 60 chicks trying to score with him no matter how quiet he was.

In other news, I was watching Pulp Fiction the other day, and all the scenes with Lance (Stoltz) and his poly-pierced wife, I just pictured it as what happens to Keith and Watts in 10 years.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Some people are stunningly attractive and get little or no attention..... but enough about me [Wink]

For me this is not about what they look like, and all about how they behave - Amanda is stunning, knows it, and as a result uses it to get into a crowd that she'd never really belong to. Watts is for me equally beautiful, but because she has talents and personality beyond just looks, she's never had to rely on her face alone. Keith is just poor, shy, and a loner - and I guess girls found him too much of a challenge - especially when there were so many rich kids around that looked as good.

In the end they all manage to deal with these things in a good way. And the 'hidden beauty' thing is a common thing in John Hughes' movies, as with Allison in Breakfast Club for example. Real pretty, but somehow you're the only one that actually notices.

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Brode. That is the most Paul has said in 2 years, wait except when a fight breaks out on The Rewind. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Brode has touched on Paul's favorite movie and he "Loves" Watts as you can read above. Paul, it is a special thing for movie to mean that much to you. I really think it's way cool because "Valley Girl" is that movie for me.

Amanda Jones or Watts that is a tough one to answer. Either one turned out to be a good choice in my opinion. [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
I would've liked them to extend the ending of SKOW by a minute and a half at least ... to show what happens to Amanda, Watts and Keith, at least. Amanda's turned her back on all her friends, so where does she go? Does she become friends with Keith and Watts? Does Keith go anywhere with his art, does Watts go anywhere with her drums, does Amanda go anywhere with ... well ... looking good? Does Keith start drawing Watts obsessively? I dunno, my problem is that if you actually get a stopwatch, from the climax to the credits is about 160 seconds, tops. That's just not enough falling action for a guy like me. Half the nice thing about a typical Happy Hughes Ending is the feeling of relief and euphoria after, and there's just not alot to be had in SKOW (I seem to think this about movies I like though).

And I'm glad I got to incite someone to come out of his long conversational hibernation. This is fun, actually, I don't get to talk about movies with my friends.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

I'd better carry it on then.....

In truth, I don't really see Amanda turning her back on her friends, because firstly some of the girls at the party are immediately eyeing up the 'rough' that have appeared. And secondly, although she's declaring herself 'alone for the right reasons', I doubt she'd stay alone for long when you associate her looks with a more honest and open character we see developing.

I think that Keith and Watts will be a little busy to think about drums or art for a while [Razz] but their relationship's probably deep enough to begin with that they can work it through.

Big question is (very much like The Breakfasdt Club) - what's school like on Monday morning?

skowmovie
Rewind Curious
Member # 3406

Rate Member
Hey everyone, I wanted to let you know that I am now hosting my skow site on one of my domain names...I will put the link up as soon as I get it transfered. I am also expanding the site and putting more about each of the actors and the best part no more ads lol! [Smile]
maniac
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3858

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maniac   Author's Homepage   Email maniac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice website there skowmovie.

My site's a few months away, so I thought I'd post something that may be of interest to SKOW fans.

It is often interesting to find out how a movie was originally envisaged. So I was keen to get an early script for this movie. After many months of searching, I did manage to find a copy of an early draft. It's dated July 1, 1986, with some revisions in August.

As this script was rather difficult to track down, and also very interesting to read, I have converted it to a full text PDF file.

I think it's well documented that the party scene at Hardy's house was changed, but there are some other interesting scene changes and/or omissions, that even the novel doesn't reveal. Some scenes of interest are:

An alternative version of the first garage scene.
Two omitted scenes with Duncan.
The Friday night scene with Watts' proposal of sex (the novel doesn't do this one justice).
An omitted scene with Watts and Keith at the gym.
An omitted scene with Watts at the Mall tailing Amanda and Shayne.
An alternative version of the Restaurant scene.
The original version of the party scene.

Also of note is the extended dialogue during some of the scenes.

I should point out that three pages are missing from my copy (these are the pages with red text), which is not uncommon for older/rare scripts. I have recreated the pages from text in the novel, so these will be close, but not 100% accurate. Page 79C will be the most inaccurate, as the novel doesn't follow the script exactly in the section.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has a full copy of this script, or even an alternative version.

Anyway, enjoy.
SKOW Script (PDF, 237KB)

Rob

[ 25. February 2005, 07:19: Message edited by: maniac ]

Posts: 17 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home