iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Good but "unknown" movies... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Good but "unknown" movies...
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a big ‘Brat Pack’ fan when I was younger I’d go with

Wisdom
The Boys Next Door - Charlie Sheen and Maxwell Caulfield
Disciples of Justice - cant find it on IMDB but rememebr that it wasnt great but had loads of people we know in.
The Promised Land - Jason Gedrick, Kiefer and Meg Ryan
Mazes and Monsters - Tom Hanks

If you like a bit of Kung Fu.

The Last Dragon ( although I always remember it as being called the Golden Dragon)? This is a great film.

I still don’t think you can beat the Drunken Master with Chackie Chan. It was made in 78 but we used to watch it on Video in the 80s. don’t think I knew anyone who had a video in 78?

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all time favorite film is quite obscure. It's from the 90's, and it's called "Noises Off".
Has anyone here seen it?

I have seen that, and it was excellent! I loved Michael Caine, and the ridiculous amount of choreography and timing really paid off. I've been looking for a copy of this movie myself but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love 'Noises Off' too Stitch/Brode! It never fails to make me laugh, especially with the pacing of the movie (Cleveland, haha!) and its brilliant cast!

The DVD is a bargain over here in the UK Brode! I think Play.com has it for around £5.99, so I'd purchase it if you have a multiregion player! [Smile]

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stitch groover:
Toy Soldiers - Sean Astin and Wesley Crusher save their school from terrorists.

Hahahaha...Wesley Crusher! I laughed out loud on that one. I love Wil Wheaton and met him once at a Star Trek Convention (yes, that's right, I went to one [Eek!] ). He was the coolest dude. Totally chilled out. Me and my girlfriend hung out with him for over an hour. Talked about music and what not. He schooled us on Pink Floyd. It was a neat day. I just had to post this. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah back to the topic...some movies:

A Night In Heaven
My Tutor
Malibu Bikini Shop
Happy Together
Some Girls

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just picked up Puberty Blues(1981) an Australian surfer movie. Also picked up The Invisible Kid(1988)

Both Kinda obscure?

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralph Goodsen
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ralph Goodsen   Email Ralph Goodsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey canyoudigit....they sound like way cool movies. When uve seen em, let me know if they were any good.
Posts: 67 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's some more:

D.C. Cab

Just One Of The Guys

One More Saturday Night

Reform School Girls

Funhouse

How I Got Into College

One Crazy Summer

Revenge Of The Ninja

King Of New York

COLORS

ZAPPED Again

Flowers In The Attic

The Beast Within

Chained Heat

The Man With Two Brains

She's Out Of Control

Popcorn

That's about all i can think of right now.....

[ 31. January 2005, 10:18: Message edited by: CT ]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Wow, CT, I forgot about D.C. Cab. Great movie!! Gary Busey was insane! And one of Isis's favorites, Jill Schoelen was in it too. I wish this was on DVD. There was also a really good Irene Cara song at the end when they are in the parade!
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Goodsen:
Hey canyoudigit....they sound like way cool movies. When uve seen em, let me know if they were any good.

No problem Ralph. [Big Grin]
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canyoudigit.:
I have just picked up Puberty Blues(1981) an Australian surfer movie. Also picked up The Invisible Kid(1988)

Both Kinda obscure?

Got em already [Wink]

I have The Invisible Kid on laserdisc and VHS, but the laserdisc is rotted [Frown] multicoloured snow on the screen when it plays back

Here's another Jay Underwood film for you to track down: The Detective Kid aka The Gumshoe Kid

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by The Wizard:
quote:
Originally posted by Canyoudigit.:

Both Kinda obscure?

Got em already [Wink]

I have The Invisible Kid on laserdisc and VHS, but the laserdisc is rotted [Frown] multicoloured snow on the screen when it plays back

Here's another Jay Underwood film for you to track down: The Detective Kid aka The Gumshoe Kid

I remember your story about The Invisible Kid and put it on my to watch list, it's not a bad little movie full of classic 80's set pieces, the guy on the TV show is the dude from The Burbs(the leader of the freaky family)

I will keep 'em peeled for The Detective Kid,gonna watch Puberty Blues tommorow and report back my findings.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Disciples of Justice - cant find it on IMDB but rememebr that it wasnt great but had loads of people we know in.
Maybe you're thinking of 'The Brotherhood Of Justice'?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my take on what makes a movie obscure:

Just about everyone loves "The Breakfast Club" on many levels -- casting, dialogue, soundtrack, etc. It makes "the best of the '80s" lists time and again.

Conversely another '80s teen angst movie --"Baby, It's You" with Rosanna Arquette [1983] -- isn't even listed on this site's movie synopses to the left of our screens. It's the same tried-and-true formula of teens coming of age...yet virtually unknown here.

To me that makes a movie 'obscure' but all the more reason to give it a watch, especially we Rosanna fans. She still makes movies, has always taken chances with her career...big snaps to her for representin the 'seasoned hot chick' crowd!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great topic!

Hmmm what makes a film unknown to me can be explained in this little scenerio.....

UNKNOWN
your hanging out with your "non" 80's lovin freinds....and you mention you watched Just One Of the Guys...or even Look Who's Talking....and they go "how can you watch that crap....I haven't even heard of the first one"

NOT UNKNOWN
"so you wanna watch Goonies"......"I love that movie!"

I love many of the movies above and would so consider them unknown or more obscure.
Where the Boys Are 84
The Heavenly Kid
She's Out of Control
The Boy Who Could Fly
The Invisiable Kid
Fraternity Vacation
Zapped Again.......good on CT! [Big Grin] "she's got just what I want......zapped again"

Many of them movies you can't even buy anymore!

I've bought Willy/Milly and The Gate from people talking on here and liked both lots!

OOOOOOO and Cindy i'm very jealous.....lets talk about the crush I had on Will Wheaton growing up......oh Gordie!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys i have a few to add to the list
she s out of control
for keeps
and i guess thats all:) for now

Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralph Goodsen
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ralph Goodsen   Email Ralph Goodsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i almost forgot...Screwball Motel...
Posts: 67 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffster, that happens to me all the time and it's not just with '80s movies...I couldn't belive it when my fiance told me he'd never watched "It's a Wonderful Life"...hello??
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'The Brotherhood Of Justice'?
Yes, this is the film i was thinking of. Was good to read the true story behind the film - which i had no idea of

Cheers!

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked The Munchies.

I think I have the munchies, too.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...yeah.

I got the munchies, all right.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always think the Fortress a made for TV movie by HBO pictures from 1986 is a must see. It is hard to come by, every once in awhile it pops up on TV. Very good flick set in the outback of Austrailia that centers around a group of school kids that get kidnapped by four men who wear masks of popular Austrailian characters such as Father Christmas, Mack the Mouse, Dabby Duck, and some Cat face. They take then off into the outback and put them in a cave where they end up escaping only to run into them again. Very good film.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other ones that also deserve attention at Lady Beware, He's My Girl, and Lovelines---from my rare video collection. Oh also the television movie The Midnight Hour.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love all of the movies mentioned, but I have never heard anyone on here mention the 80's movie "Recruits." I don't even remember whether or not is was on at the movies. I just remember renting it on VHS. I still wonder if it will be released on DVD someday...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few more:

Local Hero (1983) - an excellent slow paced film with some great subtle humour in it, an American comes to a Scottish village to negotiate the sale of the whole village and some of the coast for a large oil company he works for, but when his time is up he doesn't want to leave

The Coca-Cola Kid (1985) - a quirky but great movie, an American Coca-Cola representative called The Kid is sent to Australia to try and sell Coke in a part of the country that doesn't have any sales, contrary to what the title may allude, it's not an hour and a half Coke advert, the drink was merely used to tell the story

Chungking Express (1994) - two stories of love-struck cops in Hong Kong, you have to like that old classic California Dreaming song because the 2nd story uses it a lot

Autumn Moon (1992) - a twentysomething guy comes to Hong Kong looking for good food, traditional stuff, and while fishing meets this girl who he becomes friends with, he speaks Japanese, she speaks Cantonese and the only way they can communicate is through broken English (I really wish this was released on DVD, I had to import an NTSC VHS of it)

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home