iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I hate new movies (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I hate new movies
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ideal job is to be a film critic, but I don't think I'd be very good because I like almost everything I see!
Few films offer the complete package, but there is usually something to appreciate, be it some great acting (I especially love great eye acting), beautiful cinematography, interesting direction, symbolism etc...

For example, I watched "Crossroads" with Britney Spears. I didn't mind it actually, and I thought Britney's acting wasn't too bad at all. Sure it was cliche ridden and was probably directed by a chimp, but I still found something to enjoy.

The only films I can say I absolutely dislike are "The English Patient" and "Random Hearts". My freaking God, they are so boring that they sapped me of the will to live.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GraboidGirl
Rewinder
Member # 2368

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for GraboidGirl   Email GraboidGirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are loads of films i loved from every decade but you`re right about dvd`s not playing they just stop and that`s it end of film HATE THAT cd`s too argh it`s annoying with old tapes you could just fast forward abit and it would play again. i still have a tape player in my car and i`ve been through my boxes of tapes and listening to them again at the moment i`ve got new kids on the block and billy joel on. Funny thing is it that i`m still enjoying them. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 45 | From: Kent, England | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did watch a movie last night on regular TV that was new and I liked. It was Unfaithful with Richard Gere and Diane Lane. I thought it was done really well, I thought their acting was really good, I thought for a family in today's world they were really showing a pretty good view of today's family. The whole wind storm thing that got her to meet the guy she had the affair with , that was a bit over the top, but I thought it was very sad, I loved Richard Gere's character in it. I didn't expect to really like it at all, and I am sure they edited it out alot, cause it seemed pretty bad in some places.

I don't start threads to cause "heated" debates. You should be able to say you don't like something, and not make people go off the deep end. There's tons of stuff people talk about on here and lots of movies from the 80's too-that alot of people love that I wouldn't watch again, but so what. I think discussing today's movies should be allowed, because we all love movies, that is really the only part of the 80's we all keep alive, and music, because other things I have talked about are just memories of things that will never be the same for me ever. So, I think when so many of us come here every day, and we all sort of know the main people on here, and we are living in 2005, it is kind of hard to not discuss the fact that we are bombarded with 2005's movies, and to say what you think of that ,I don't think is such a big deal.

[ 30. January 2005, 09:45: Message edited by: isis9968 ]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good that you saw a new movie and liked it. [Smile]

Another good one from the last five years I just remembered was 50 First Dates (I know, Sandler again, but it's not like he's speaking gibberish and getting drunk in it. [Razz] ).

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis / Noms, good posts....

Rule of thumb is, you can say you do/don't like something, and you can disagree all you like. As soon as you say that the other person "is a ****** because you disagree with me, and your opinion isn't worth ****!" (sorry for the ****'s!) then that's when it all gets heated and out of control, and where Devo, Nick or I step in.

If everyone remembers this, then there should be very few topics, and opinions, that need avoiding.

To be fair to Noms, the title of the thread is one that will court a reaction, but also to be fair to Isis, as the thread progresses, you've actually admitted not hating ALL new movies......

Check-mate!

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jabeen- I'm 15 now. [Smile] Boo-yah! But yeah, good movie.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Paul...I don't actually mean Hate, like it is being taken as, I mean it as in....new movies irritate the heck out of me, and McFly said it perfectly several times too, how let down you feel, and like you wasted your time and money, and nobody likes that feeling. I just have not felt like I am getting my Movies worth, ya know what I mean. I mean, you all know whatever your favorite movie is, that you can watch it a million times, and it always puts you in a better mood, and you really get your "movie's" worth out of it. I just have not found a movie worth buying that I feel like it would be one that I'd watch over and over and get the feeling I do when I watch one I love. They just make me mad, because there are so many un answered questions, the plot is terrible, the characters don't connect with each other,or the plot is a downer, it is over done with CGI effects, or it is a cruddy remake of a movie that the first one wasn't ever any good.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my picks for "new" movies that I liked were:

Closer
Mona Lisa Smile
Along Came Polly
Secretary
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
Saved

[ 30. January 2005, 21:44: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, your 'disappointment' or 'dislike' for modern movies...among other things in life, is nothing new to me or most of the posters on this board. but it was nice of everyone to give you some suggestions, at least.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread has "controversey"? Seems pretty level-headed to me.

Compared to some of the other stuff I've seen around here.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i saw cellular last night. not great, but had funny moments. kim bassinger was yuk though. her part annoyed me. i couldn't tell if i was watching a suspensful movie, or a comedy.
1 1/2 stars out of 3.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to join the discussion so late, especially since my name was so fondly mentioned early on in this thread. It's nice to be so warmly remembered, even though I was far away in a warm place as the northeastern US battled a nasty cold spell.

Thanks to Hainster, Steven, Mammamia, Stitch, Noms, et al, for keeping it real on my behalf.

I will be thinking of all of you this coming weekend while viewing "Hotel Rwanda" at my favorite alternative cinema house...such 'crap' they keep putting out these days, but who wants to stay in now that the weather is nearly at freezing.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralph Goodsen
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ralph Goodsen   Email Ralph Goodsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are a couple of good movies that were made in the 90s. Weekend at Bernies 2, Mystery Date, Goodfellas...
Posts: 67 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were actually more than a couple of good '90s movies [as well as other decades] if you choose to keep an open mind. For someone who's been watching movies longer than many people here have been alive, my 'favorites' list goes back to the '30s because I'm a cineaste at heart. [snaps to my late Dad, my inspiration]

Some people here spend time looking for the perfect icon to complete their '80s collection...I spend that same amount of time reading about cinema of all eras and anticipating the new stuff. Sundance live on!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is alotta people just don't give modern movies a chance. Sure there are some rotten tomatoes. As much as I love 80's movies, I can think of several rotten tomatoes from the 80s as well. Some people have to realize that Daniel won't be on screen to deliver that crane kick anymore, Marty won't be plowing through a farmhouse in a DeLorean, etc...Those were truly great moments in 80s movie history. But its bull when u say all current movies are crap. I love the 80s just like everyone else on here. But at the same time, you are limiting yourself when you contend that only 80s movies are worth watching. Million Dollar Baby and Napoleon Dynamite are two of the best modern movies I have saw lately. Maybe you could try giving those a chance even though neither one of them bear 80s nostalgia...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truth be told, I'm open-minded about movies not made in the 80s. "Casablanca" is one of my all-time favorites, for example. I love the classic MGM musicals, and I'm a fan of Disney animated classics like "Snow White And The Seven Dwarves", "Pinocchio" and "Cinderella". The 60s had some great movies...The 70s were great for films with a rough edge and a cynical outlook (Anybody here like the beauty pageant spoof "Smile"?). I'll refer you to the 90s board for a list of faves from that decade. As for movies of this decade, I liked "Moulin Rouge", "Monsters Inc.", "Chicago", "Monster" and "Team America: World Police".

Is that proof that I have an open mind when it comes to movies?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
This past weekend, I expanded my movie-watching in several directions.

"Napoleon Dynamite" is sweet...it reminded me of "Lucas" and "My Bodyguard"...teens coming of age with some problems, the whole underdog thing. "You've got a sweet bike."

"Hotel Rwanda" is damn near harrowing and equally provocative...I remember feeling this way during and after "The Killing Fields." There is very little bloodshed in this movie, despite the ever-present anticipation...you will see the impact of violence, the destruction of homes & people...it will make you think & reflect. I feel very strongly about learning from movies, so I always go on-line for some back story.

I also watched a movie from about 1940 that I had never seen, but I miss not having my dad around anymore to talk about those old flicks.

And "The Goonies" was on HBO!

Denise Jenner
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3152

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Denise Jenner   Email Denise Jenner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um i would like to point out that there have been alot of great movies in the 90's and beyond like lord of the rings and titanic and such.Those were great films and i might add that the movies these days are way better than in the 80's like better special effects and such.Don't dog on something you know nothing about.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just a movie FREAK!!! There are movies I love from every decade. I love modern movies too. Some of the stories they can tell today thanks to computers and modern special F/X are amazing and could have never been done in past decades....like The Matrix (I loved the 1st one.) and the Lord Of The Rings movies. What great film making! Those are all among my favorites! Most of my favorites are from the '70s & '80s, but new movies are being added to my personal favorites every year. I loved the Spider-man movies (especially the second one) and The X-Men franchise and The Punisher and independent jewels like Napoleon Dynamite and Whale Rider. I'm open for movies from all decades! I just love movies period.
I'm the same about tv. I loved shows from the '70s & '80s live Miami Vice, The A-Team, The Dukes Of Hazzard and Knight Rider....They are among my favorites of all times, but I have also enjoyed many, many tv shows since then. Right now I am a huge Alias and Lost freak! I also watch Smallville, the new Battlestar Galactica and sometimes Enterprise and The Dead Zone.
I think each and every generation and decade contributes awesome movies/tv shows & pop culture to the world. I can't wait to see what comes out next!
This summer looks awesome as far as movies go. I am greatly anticipating seeing Batman Begins, The Fantastic 4 and King Kong!

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HipsterMom27 wrote, in part:
quote:
...I also watched a movie from about 1940 that I had never seen, but I miss not having my dad around anymore to talk about those old flicks.
I am not like dear ol' Dad, but you can always talk to ME about old classic Hollywood flicks from the 30's and 40's! [Smile]

I myself am trying to catch up on them. For instance, I rented a couple of 40's classics: Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth in "Gilda" (1946), and Bogie and Bergman in "Casablanca" (1942), which I never saw all the way through before...until last week! [Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lele
Rewind Curious
Member # 3827

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lele   Email Lele   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
90's movie I liked was Interview with a Vampire. There were lots of great moments in that movie.

A more recent movie I loved was Spirited Away. This movie started my new found love of Japanese Anima. [Smile]

Everybody should also see the Notebook. I am not a big fan usually of sappy dramas but this movie was great.

Personally I love Horror movies.

W

Posts: 5 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigworld
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3107

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bigworld   Email bigworld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]

On the horror movie side - mammamia, have you seen The Ring? A Hollywood remake of an (even scarier) movie from Japan. I'm not big on horror movies, and went to watch this without really knowing that it was horror, and deeply regrettet having watched it (during the sleepless night I had afterwards [Roll Eyes] ).

Have you seen The Eye its a horror film from Japan and its superb.
Its a bit like the Sixth Sence in it's subject (not story) this is one seriously creepy movie.
I got it on Play.com quite cheap it worth having a look!

Posts: 58 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

the notebook was a pretty decent movie. i thought a walk to remember based on another novel by nicolas sparks, was better.
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw Million Dollar Baby. Man, what an impact! That movie caught me completely off guard. I went in expecting to see a female version of Rocky and came out seeing a powerful character driven drama that took a direction that wasn't about boxing, but about choices and struggles and misfortune.
I think it is very deserving of an Oscar. More than one even.
Go see it.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home