iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the day--Baby Boom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the day--Baby Boom
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of Diane Keaton's funniest performances in my opinion. She stars as a woman caught up in the coporate world who ends up "inheriting" her cousins child. She becomes so overwelmed that she leaves her New York lifestyle for a country one that will allow her to explore her take on motherhood. It is kind of a woman's "Three Men and a Baby". Funny supporting performances by Harold Ramis and Sam Shepherd. One of those films that make a woman believe that she can have it all.

Do you all have any fond memories of this comedy from 1987.

Posts: 5315 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I remember it, even though I haven't seen it in about 10 years. A good movie. It was always on HBO at about 7:30 every Saturday morning. It was good, but not brilliant.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4226 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Baby Boom.
It was a nice sunday afternoon movie.
This was my second out of NY and into the country movie this weekend
(watched The Stepford Wives too)

I have to admit that i bought the dvd only because
i needed it in my James Spader collection.
He had a quite small role in this flick.

-

Posts: 7265 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could throw on Funny Farm, Crocodile Dundee and My Cousin Vinny next and really ride that theme into the ground, aTomiK. [Big Grin]
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoy this movie as well. I remember watching this movie growing up. I think it has the feel of Funny Farm meets Three Men and a Baby. This is a great lazy day movie that always makes you feel good.
Posts: 663 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw "Baby Boom" for the first time. Great film! Both funny & also sad/poignant at times, I really enjoyed this. I've always been a big Diane Keaton fan, so it was nice to see her back in her heyday (1970's - 1980's).

The storyline was interesting, because it portrayed a corporate woman whose entire life was her job - yet, who still put it all aside to raise a baby that wasn't even hers, but was unexpectedly thrust on her. The scene when she was about to give the baby up for adoption - but ended up keeping her (due to becoming attached, obviously) was very poignant, and definitely the turning point of the film.

Very funny scenes when Keaton tried to feed the baby an elaborate spaghetti meal (not realizing the baby was too young to eat anything other than Baby food), which resulted in the baby throwing the spaghetti on the floor, on Keaton, and on herself - ha ha.

This film was the completely opposite many '80's "me" generation films, i.e. the ones that espoused the "Greed is Good" attitude that Gordan Gecko (Michael Douglas) popularized in "Wall Street" (another 1987 film).

Great supporting cast, including the late Harold Ramis as Keaton's live-in boyfriend when the film begun, and the late Sam Shepherd as the veterinarian she met when she moved to the small town in Vermont.

Also very impressed by the Fall scenes in small-town New England, first seen when Keaton drove into the town from NYC. I've always liked that time of year, especially in areas with a lot of Fall foliage.

I was slightly surprised that the Keaton character didn't sell her Baby Food company to that huge corporate company at the end of the film; she could have just sold them the company straight out, and not been involved in the day-to-day activities anymore. However, an ending like that would have gone against the "turning away from materialism" theme that was ultimate message of the film.

To those who are interested: The baby in the film was portrayed by two twin sisters. Here they are, all grown up (this article is from 2014):

https://www.today.com/popculture/where-did-adorable-baby-boom-tot-go-after-1987-movie-1D79814596

Posts: 456 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for gordongecko   Email gordongecko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nostalgic - Thank you for that great post and for sharing that article. I can totally see Keaton freaking out over that reunion. I really like your takes on the movie. Good observations.

I totally agree on the fall scene vibes in this movie. I usually try to watch it around that time of year. This movie has really gown on my wife and I over the years. We usually watch it a few times a year. It's a good cozy, fun movie. You can be sure I'll be watching it in a few months!

Posts: 663 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Peterson
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37560

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ray Peterson   Email Ray Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchased this several months ago, having not seen it in a very long time (early 90's)
I finally popped it on and my daughters (8 & 6) joined me. I liked it a lot, so wonderfully innocent and 80's! Funny, warm, romantic and a very good cast. My girls loved it so much they took it to their room that night and watched it, 3 nights in a row!
I love passing on the 80's magic [Smile]

Posts: 23 | From: The Burbs | Registered: Jul 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordongecko
Rewind Guru
Member # 4685

Member Rated:
Ray - That's really cool! So great they liked it so much. Maybe they will be Tiger Ladies some day. [Wink]
Ray Peterson
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37560

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ray Peterson   Email Ray Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordongecko:
Ray - That's really cool! So great they liked it so much. Maybe they will be Tiger Ladies some day. [Wink]

Yes indeed! [Smile]
Posts: 23 | From: The Burbs | Registered: Jul 2018 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home