iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » sixteen candles song

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sixteen candles song
livinglnoblivion
Rewind Curious
Member # 3740

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for livinglnoblivion   Email livinglnoblivion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone happen to know the song or artist who does the song as sam and randy first enter the dance? it's right at the beginning of one of the first few chapters on the dvd. i've been trying to find this out for about 2 years. thanks.

-april

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MinnieMay
Rewind Curious
Member # 9442

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for MinnieMay   Email MinnieMay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song is called "Filene" and was written and composed by Ira Newborn. I read somewhere that Filene was the name of his girlfriend at the time he composed this piece. I've searched high and low for this song and can't find it !!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinnieMay.. so you're thinking the 'Our House/Filene' dance mix might actually be a real tune? I like the Ira Newborn trivia!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go.. I just found what might possibly be the answer from Ira Newborn!

From 80's Whore:

OKAY. Get this. I found the guy who's credited as doing some of the music on the film, I e-mailed him, and he responded. Here's what Ira Newborn said:

I do remember having to "knock off" Our House by Madness for some reason and it's possible it found it's way into "Sixteen Candles" because when a studio commissions a composer to write music, they actually own it. It's called music-for-hire.'

I'm pretty sure I knocked off Our House because the studio didn't want to pay for the licensing fee...I don't really have any favorite projects. Maybe "The Blues Brothers" or "Weird Science." Talking to Kelly LeBrock in her underwear is something I will take to the grave with me. More impressive than the Grand Canyon.'

Another posting from 80's Whore:

I forgot to ask Ira Newborn the most important question of all, and have since remembered. Here is the answer:
----------------------------
"Filene" is exactly what it is. I had a girlfriend at the time who was African American and I always used to kid her about black people making up funny names for their kids so I started calling her Filene and then used it in the song. I later called her "Lobelia" and used that in some other movie.

Is that awesome to finally know or what?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do remember having to "knock off" Our House by Madness for some reason and it's possible it found it's way into "Sixteen Candles" because when a studio commissions a composer to write music, they actually own it. It's called music-for-hire.'

I'm pretty sure I knocked off Our House because the studio didn't want to pay for the licensing fee...

Pretty much *exactly* what I said on the matter many moons ago on this very site. Why am I always right? Nobody say anything! Just let me wallow in the moment... aah!

Thanks Valley! That was a real find! It's nice to have it officially solved.

Now if I could just find the name of the song they replaced Tim Schmidts 'So Much in Love' with on the UK VHS of 'Fast Times' my life would be complete. Or maybe not.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home