iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Say Anything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Say Anything
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried watching it last night,a nd fell asleep at the end. It was OK, but it was kind of boring. One thing though, I knew I recognized the one girl in the movie, and it was her voice-I recognized, and I wanted to see who she was, I was shocked when it turned out to be Pam Segall, because Cindymancini told me she was in the Milly/Willy movie, and that I should recognize her, but her name did not "click" with me. So as soon as I saw her name, I realized I had seen her in something else too, and that was Bed of Roses. That was pretty cool. I liked Ione Skye in Say Anything, I liked her relationship with her Dad. I have never seen her before in anything else, but I knew who she was, cause I have seen the clip from Say Anything, where they ask him what he wants to do with his life, and he goes on and on about how he doesn't want to Buy anything Sold or Processed or Process anything Sold or Bought...and that he wants to spend as much time possible with his daughter..

Don't you guys think Ione Skye and Heather Langenkamp look alike??

-

-

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez Isis, I'm sure Ione Skye appreciates the picture of Heather Langenkamp you chose to say hey don't you think she looks like her? [Razz]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the other picture I found of Heather, she had short hair, and the other one her hair was a mess, from having been chased by Freddy all night, so this is the best I could do.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well, I guess from what Valley tells me that I need to finish the movie to see what happens with her and her Dad.

But, I thought geez...how many girls ever came home from making out in the back seat of a car with their boyfriend, and told their Dad about it in great detail??

Not me.

McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's mildly overrated, but a decent flick. Crowe was great writing the stuff we dread---calling a girl, figuring out our future, meeting dad---but I just felt the character was too old to be going through that. It seemed more like a 15, 16 year olds problem, not a guy just out of high school. Plus the dad in jail in the end, maybe it involved the dad too much in the storyline.

But the boombox is classic.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I am a little shocked that I am hearing words like decent and "I fell asleep" The only thing that I can say is that maybe it's a bit more of a guy movie. I might call it the happier version of The Last American Virgin. It is far from overrated. Is there some cheese? Yes, but the "Joe Lies" song is worth it's weight in gold.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I fell asleep, because it was rather boring, but I didn't hate it, and will probably watch the end later, that's what I mean. If I had hated it completely then I would have just shut it off, but I was trying to hold out, but the boredom got the best of me.

Devo- just "Say Anything"

deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, you found it boring?

Wow, I was totally surprised to hear that you guys did not like this movie so much. [Confused]

I thought it was such a great low key, emotional and funny movie with really good portraits of the main characters.
I really love this movie! Personally, I thought that it was even better than Better off Dead.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] Better Than "Better Off Dead" [Eek!]

I'm Shocked & Appalled [Big Grin]

I'm a fan of John Cusack and His Sister Joan,but Say Anything is kind of over-rated and certainly not one of Cusack best. But Grosse Pointe Blank is [Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhhhh people! I sorta expected Miss Isis to say that........although i'm major dissapointed in her.

I'm gonna shock and appall you all and say I didn't like John in High Fidelity! I'll probaly get some [Eek!] for that!

I wouldn't say Say Anything is better then Better Off Dead....no way. But how could you guys say that it's boring and overrated???? Slow.....?????? NOooooooo Wayyyyy! Man it's a drama not a comedy. Although I beileve it has some great comedic pieces in there....love Lili Taylor in it! Can I say again it's a romantic DRAMA! Also Cameron Crowe........sorry I just hold it so close to my heart....ahhhhhh.I love the movie and the soundtrack so much.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] Oh! I did'nt realize that it was'nt a comedy [Confused]

And I did'nt know it was a Drama....Well that changes things for me [Wink]

the next time i watch this movie i will look at in a different light [Smile] I mean Cameron Crowe was cool and all. But i never knew it was an Romantic Comedy [Confused]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there was another thread about this movie and i wrote that i may have been the only one to say that this movie is at the bottom of my cusack list. i completely agree that it was a bit boring in some areas, and a bit overrated. and truthfully, the movie did put me to sleep.

and as far as high fidelity goes, thank you muffy...i thought that movie could have been way better. the idea of the movie was great, but they really went nowhere with that one.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Me either CT, I thought it was suppose to be a comedy too, and maybe that's what was wrong, is I kept waiting for something funny to happen, and I waited, and waited.

I know this may not go over well, but I don't think John Cusak is even good looking, maybe that's my other problem. He is ok as an actor, I like him in Sixteen Candles, but he never did much for me as the "leading man" part.

I didn't like Lili Taylor (sorry Muffy), all she did was bawl about "Joe", and that part about her making up song after song about "Joe", that was more annoying than any other part of the movie.

Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
john cusack is not a handsome guy to me, but has a certain charm about him that i just enjoy seeing him in a movie. i will see anything he is in, whether or not i like the movie, i am always happy to see his face.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
In real life, I have heard by people who have meet him that he is very rude, and he seems really depressing.

In almost every movie I have seen him in, some of that seems to come out.

In Say Anything, he didn't seem to be completely happy. I thought like McFly did, about that he seemed too old to be dealing with things the way he did, he was 19 in the movie.

I never thought he was struggling too much to call her up, I mean when he called her up, he didn't seem too tongue tied, and asked her out point blank. I didn't like the party scene, because he just dumped her there, and wandered around and did the whole "Keymaster" thing, but I thought he could have hung out with her, and did that, but at least all the kids were polite to her. The part I liked at the party was when Jeremy Pivens -(I think that's his name) would fly out of no where and tackle LLoyd and knock him on the ground.

That reminded me of high school so bad, and walking around the football game for the first time with my boyfriend, and every lap we made, his friends would tackle him, and knock him on the ground, and I would just be standing there, until they were done rolling around, and then we walked around again, and they'd do it again. The thing was to sneek up and get each other from behind. I know that is such a "guy" thing...cause I never tackled any of my girlfriends.

In the movie ...the way they did it, was so classic.

Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isis9968:
 -

-

She looks like Robbie Lee from The Switchblade Sisters, teeth grinding included. [Big Grin]

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 -

"In Your Eyes" [Big Grin]

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"High Fidelity" had so much promise but failed to deliver on so many levels. Jack Black made that movie as he does every movie he's in, he has a certain charm and charisma about him that makes him very likable.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 666:
"High Fidelity" had so much promise but failed to deliver on so many levels. Jack Black made that movie as he does every movie he's in, he has a certain charm and charisma about him that makes him very likable.

i agree, sam.
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting into this discussion rather late -- I think Valley, Muffy & Devo summed up the charm of "Say Anything" quite well -- I think this is a very honest and uplifting movie. Line-for-line, this movie redeemed some of the stupid teen comedies that unfortunately defined the '80s. Sure some of them made me laugh a few times, but I wouldn't trade any of those for seeing Cusack lift that boom box again and again...moving beyond words and the perfect song for that moment.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
In Your Eyes was playing in the scene when they were in the back seat...that's why I thought he played that song for her, to remind her of that night...but if they put that song in later, what were they listening to in the back seat-was that put in later too?
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man Isis, you're really bringing me over [Frown] . I thought you'd enjoy Say Anything. John and Ione were perfect. Their onscreen chemistry was great. Ione is gorgeous. I always thought that. John is cute. I liked him in The Sure Thing. Did you see that movie Isis? As for Lili Taylor I love her. I think she rules.

"That'll never be me, that'll never be me, no, no, don't you ever think it!"

LOL!! Classic [Smile] !
 -
 -

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Cindy yes!!!!! you and I are so alike! Love those pictures by the way. They did have such a chemistry. I will always relate "In Your Eyes" to Say Anything!
It was so beautiful.....an attempt very similar to Randys in Valley Girl don't ya think? The whole Romeo and Juliet, something keeping them apart story??? Girl wants guy.. but friends or family are making her think otherwise??? Say Anything was almost more adult then Randy and Julie though in my opinion. The scene in the back seat.....so sweet Lloyd was. Sorry but I think i've always had a crush on Lloyd so maybe i'm partial... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Sorry you guys...I did not hate this movie, I just found it kinda of boring. I still have to watch the end yet too, maybe later tonight I will, I do have The Sure Thing- I bought it on our "trip"...I wanna watch it too, maybe I'll like it better. The part I had the hardest time with is when she said about the broken glass on the road, and that was what kind of clinched it for her in to liking Lloyd, I wondered what kind of guys she was use to going out with, if they would have just left her walk through broken glass? If so, then I can understand why she liked him so much. If they were like Joe...where he goes up to Lili Taylor and says he was thinking of dumping his new girlfriend, but it was really mean the way he said it, and then he asked her to have sex with him...that is always a classy move, no wonder she got over him after that. What kind of guy does that....wait I am sure he'll be coming around to let me know....
ziolappi
Rewind Curious
Member # 3839

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ziolappi   Email ziolappi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ciao,

I've got a question, someone can tell me the name of the song (or the performer!) you can listen when Lloyd drives the car just after Diane broke up with him? just music, electric guitar, also when Lloyd phones her sister under the rain.
Everytime I see this movie I ask myself this!

Simone

Posts: 2 | From: Rome - Italy | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home