iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--Trail of the Pink Panther

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Trail of the Pink Panther
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is a very pieced together film. It was made with bits and pieces of never before seen footage from other Pink Panther films. It was made 2 years after Peter Sellars death. David Niven was even ill during the filming of this and his voice was dubbed by Rich Little. This was Blake Edwards attempt to revive the Panther series. In my opinion it was a poor attempt. It played to me like a TV movie and just really didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Does anyone remember this film?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this film, but I agree with you.

When I first heard about that a new "Pink Panther" was about to made (during the early 80's) after Peter Sellers' death, I knew that it would be bad, because nobody could do the Inspector Clouseau character quite like Sellers did. [Frown]

Now, I hear there's a new "Pink Panther" remake coming out, with Steve Martin in the Clouseau character. I like Steve Martin, but I think I'll pass up on this one. [Frown]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I would be interested in seeing the new one because I love Steve Martin. Maybe it should be something else though, I hope he doesn't try to have the accent thing going on. I also think that Beyonce is starring in this also. Well you never know how that will turn out I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Peter Sellars died so did the franchise,if Blake Edwards makes another that is just pathetic.He has tried and failed everytime

1.Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)

2.Son of the Pink Panther (1993)

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Blake Edwards won't be directing this next one. I don't remember who, though.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey JLP...Steve Martin does try the accent thing!

My wife just bought me the Pink Panther box set for Christmas because she knows how much I love these films.
You're right about Trail Of... it was pretty much a dud.
Do you know they even attempted a tv series once and thank God it was scrubbed before it got off the ground!
I loved Herbert Lom in these movies. As the films progressed he added that classic eye twitch whenever Sellars was around. I loved the one when he shot his nose off with what he thought was a pistol cigarette lighter.

Some of my favorite Pink Panther moments...
When he was dressed like the old sea captain and had that peg leg and an inflatable parrot on his shoulder that kept deflating and he would pump his arm to air it back up!
When he was riding his bike to the enemy's castle and his nose was melting.
All the fights with Kato!!!!
"Does your Dewg bite?"
"I am teh Lew!"
And I loved all the cartoon intros.

I'll go see the new movie, but I'm not expecting much from it.

Good topic JLP! Keep 'em coming.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame they've written Cato out of this one. I can see the politically incorrect angle, but he always added great flavor to the films. But life goes on...
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home