iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--Dirty Dancing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Dirty Dancing
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In honor of the passing of Jerry Orbach I have decided to make this masterpiece the movie of the day today.

A young girl and her family visit a resort in the Catskills for a summer vacation in 1963. There she is introduced to love, abortion, hate, and Dirty Dancing. She meets young dance instructor Johnny Castle and tries to help him and his friends keep their jobs for the following summer. Along the way she teaches Johnny a few things about himself and learns a few things about herself as well. This is when Baby really grows up and starts to understand what it is like to be an adult. An awesome supporting cast with Cynthia Rhodes and Jerry Orbach--RIP.

The soundtrack is a classic in its own right. Two different soundtracks were released both extremely successful.

This ultimate DVD collection of this is awesome. The writer commentary is amamzing to listen to. They had such a low budget that they talked about all of the obstacles that they had during the filming. They said that while they were making the film they knew how special it would be, boy were they right.

What are some of your fondest memories of this film? Mine would have to be when Baby walks into the workers cabin when they are dirty dancing. The look on her face is priceless. Also I loved all of the scenes where Johnny is teaching her to dance!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie sucks big hairy monkey balls.
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Canyoudigit, thank you for that vivid description of how you felt about this movie.

Yes, it was fluff, but very commercially successful. Back when this movie came out, I was in the ballroom dance business and we got lots of new customers because of "Dirty Dancing." People got discouraged really quickly, though when they discovered it would take hundreds of hours before they would look anything like Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey did in the movie. Or (in the case of men who came in) that it did lot lead immediately directly to a sexual tryst.

But the movie has its moments. Netscape lists "Nobody ever puts baby in the corner" as one of the cheesiest movie lines of all time.

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only cause Canudigit's a boy......and he didn't rent Dirty Dancing many times like I did as a little girl.....wanting to dance like Baby.

I still love the Soundtrack to this one. Two Otis songs......Love Man and These Arms of Mine. What girl doesn't want to recreate the whole Cry To Me scene...haha!

DDancing is the story I tell of every Bday slumber party we ever had....back when we rented the VCR too. DD was always rented and watched and danced too......so it's just one of those that will stay close to my heart I guess.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

While I will not be as crude as Canyoudigit, I can agree that this probably was THE movie of the 80's that all girls dreamed about. The dancing, the rebellious nature, and the romance. I couldn't stand any of it. Girls nationwide falling in love with Patrick Swayze. Maybe it would have been better if Jennifer Grey was better looking. Or if the script didn't have so much cheese.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canyoudigit's incisive commentary:
quote:
This movie sucks big hairy monkey balls.
So, what do you REALLY think about this movie?
[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was brought up with 'Dirty Dancing,' as my mum and aunt would re-watch it almost every afternoon. It wasn't the movie as such that caught my attention though, it was the excellent soundtrack that I unashamedly still listen to today; with 'Cry To Me' and 'Do You Love Me?' being my favourite tracks!

Upon hearing the songs after 17 years or so, I still envisage the scenes from the movie in which they appear. I guess this plays a huge part in why the movie has been so successful (at least, on my part!)

I can honestly say though, that the soundtrack is why I love 'Dirty Dancing' and not its story. The same goes for 'Footloose' too! Without the excellent choice of songs, I don't think I would have liked both movies as much as I do.

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dirty dancing is a classic in its own right it still is the best slumber party movie of all time I m 22 and sometimes me and my girlfriend get together we still watcht we dont gave to rent it b/c i now own it lol [Wink]
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 most overrated movies of the 80's

Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Flashdance

See a common theme here?

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Sam.
Correct, Correct, Correct.
You could add Breakin in there also.
Just to make Isis mad.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam Hain 666's post:
quote:
3 most overrated movies of the 80's:

Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Flashdance

See a common theme here?

Let's see... You don't like dancing movies?
[Confused]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked Dirty Dancing when it came out. I remember a friend of mine asked me to go see it at the Drive-In with him, and I didn't go-I was such a loser-I should have gone, and regret it to this day. I didn't see it until it came out on HBO, but I watched it non stop back then, and I bought the soundtrack. But the song, "I Had the Time of my Life"-is so over played, I even heard it on the radio yesterday, and I can't make it through the whole song without changing the station, even though I did like it when it came out. I never really thought Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze had very good chemistry in the movie, infact I read someplace where I don't think they even got along at all during filming. And you can tell even when he'd kiss her, he had a look on his face, like yuck. I didn't care for the "dirty dancing", but I liked the end dance sequence.

I don't think Breakin falls in to any of the other dance movie categories, because the dancing was so completely different and so was the music.

Breakin to me is the best dance movie ever, and when something ever tops it, let me know.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen, Sam Hain!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say that after seeing DIRTY DANCING, FOOTLOOSE and FLASHDANCE , which I hated all three, that it must be hard to make a good "dance movie" because it's hard to "marry" the dancing with a good plot...but then I had to stop myself because I've seen a lot of good plays and musicals where they pull it off.
Why ARE dance movies so bad?????

(I'll give DURTY DANCING a little credit for having some kind of plot whereas FOOTLOOSE and FLASHDANCE's plots were ridiculous.)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the crude comment, but i thought it was apt.

Sorry peeps. [Frown]

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Byank
Rewind Curious
Member # 3628

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Byank   Email Byank   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was born in the year Dirty Dancing was released, so I couldn't properly see it until a few weeks ago. I fell in love with Patrick Swayze but got over it when I realized he's 52 now...anyway, my favourite scene is the 'Cry to me' scene, and yes, I'd love to do that with my boyfriend. I'm a bit "too" romantic, but I don't really care. All my friends liked the soundtrack, and a few even enjoyed the movie (girls, of course). I've learned to dance when i was about 9 and I still love it, though I don't have any partner. But because of this movie, I promissed myself I'll restart my dance lessons in summer.

Question: Does anyone know where the cut-because-of-the-rating dance scenes went? [Confused]

Posts: 4 | From: Bucharest | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the video of Patrick Swayze's "She's like the wind" today. Who is the female singer who sings with him?
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HanoiRox
Rewind Curious
Member # 3654

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HanoiRox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The female singer is never mentioned, she has had no credit for the song (probably a blessing). Or perhaps she just chose not to have her name connected with such a cheesy song.
Posts: 5 | From: Lanky | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I just love Dirty Dancing because it brings back all these memories from when I was watching it at the age of 13. I used to love it back then, and now the movie is like comfort food to me.

If it came out today, I wouldn't even care to watch it at all.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Byank
Rewind Curious
Member # 3628

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Byank   Email Byank   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The girl singing with Patrick Swayze is Wendy Fraser. That's what I found written on my cd cover. Hope it helps.

So...does anyone know where those scenes went?

Posts: 4 | From: Bucharest | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home