iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Adventures In Babysitting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adventures In Babysitting
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I'm a fan of this flick. I love the beginning when Elisabeth Shue is dancing to the song "Then He Kissed Me".

The cast was excellent and who would have thought Thor would have such a promising career. Keith Coogan was awesome as Brad and Anthony Rapp played the annoying Daryl Coopersmith to the max.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the Blues.

[ 27. December 2004, 11:26: Message edited by: ValleyCat ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love everything about this one too! I loved the entire cast and Mike Toddwell was a real jerk--the guy that plays on the west wing now--Bradley Whitford?? I think that is correct.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct JLP. Bradley Whitford was outstanding as Mr. "So Cool" himself Mike Todwell.

A little trivia: He is married to Jane Kaczmarek who was in another favorite 80's movie of mine "The Heavenly Kid" (1985). She currently plays the mom on "Malcolm in the Middle" which I never watch.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great movie, hands down. the best character was daryl "sorry, can't talk, gotta run" coopersmith. i crack up everytime when i see the scene with him in the back seat making faces while chris is telling the spooky hook story to sara.

every character was great in this movie, especially THOR and the guy with the killer eyes, played by the gorgeous george newbern.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've loved this film for years, but I've only ever known it as "A night on the town".
My favourite part is with the story of the truck driver who scrapes kids faces off with his hookhand, and then they are almost immediately rescued from the freeway by a big truck driver with a hook for a hand. He is actually quite friendly, until he finds out his wife is cheating on him, and he goes on a rampage.

It is one film that I can't see too many times.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must agree with everyone on this movie... "Adventures In Babysitting" is one of those that I love as much today as when I first saw it.

The cast and soundtrack are terrific, the story is undoubtedly fun, and it has a number of great moments - particularly the opening dance number, the singing the blues, and to quote my favourite line from the train gang sequence! "don't **** with the babysitter!"

It gave me my first major crush too... with the amazing "17 year old" that was Elisabeth Shue! I must have been 7 years of age or so, and I totally knew how Brad (Keith Coogan) was feeling.

Even though a tad unbelievable, I always wanted to have a night just like this. Obviously I'd be George Newbern's character though, so I get the girl! [Smile]

Oh stitch; the movie was titled "A Night On The Town" over here in the UK too, only it was just the TV title, I think.

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always lose it when they got to the hospital to inquire Keith Coogan's condition and the doctor misinterprets and tells them he's dead. The look on Shue's face as she faints is one that can truly be called a Kodak moment. Chris Columbus has always been one of my favorite directors, and he delivers here too.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Hey Chris,

I love the part where Shue wakes up at the hospital and starts talking about the "terrible dream" she just had and as she gets up she realizes it's really happening...funny stuff. [Big Grin]

Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elisabeth Shue i still love you, please call me.
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who doesn't love this movie?

Did any of you have book fairs at school? I remember buying the book of this movie and feeling so cool to read the story.

I'm flashing back the begining scene of Brad spilling the macaroni....and how it was described in great detail his crush for Chris. Also Sarah's obsession with Thore. [Smile]

They used to make those little paperbacks for movies back in the 80's. You could also buy lots more children books it seemed of every big movie that was out. I have one for ET now...and how about the book/45's combo's??? Does anyone remember them? The record fit in the sleeve in the back????

I still have my complete set of them for Gremlins. I don't even own a record player anymore...."turn the page when your hear the chime........."chime"

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember them Muffy! I loved Book Fairs!!

I like Adventures in Babysitting too..my old roommate looked alot like Elizabeth Shue, and she even wore the same tan coat like she did in the movie.

I love the beginning too, when she is dancing around the bedroom, like who hasn't been there and done that...I know I did.

I love when Penelope Ann Miller is calling on the phone, cause she had ran away..only to make it to the bus station/train station...wherever...and then freaks out and wants to go home..and she sees that guy with the gun, and starts freaking. I love the homeless guy yelling "get outta my house!", and she throws his stuff out and says "you just moved".

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is so much fun. I had a theme night once, I played Adventures, Liscence to Drive and The Night Before. They all sort of go well together. Just wish the Adventures DVD had extra features or some commetary.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:

Did any of you have book fairs at school? I remember buying the book of this movie and feeling so cool to read the story.

how scary. i went to my book fair and bought adventures in babysitting too muffy...weird.
i remember that when i would watch the movie, i always thought that brad said (just before spilling the macaroni), "i don't care weenie head", when actually (after reading the book) i found he said "i don't care wing head", making fun of sara's thore helmet.

weren't they called the 'RIF' book fairs...Reading Is Fundamental (sp)??

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home