iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 21)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

arrow certainly go to town on there packaging,they've got videodrome coming up soon in a swanky looking collectors edition.

eaten alive and madman are probably the next arrow releases i'll try to pick up when there released,going to rent videodrome just to see what it is like as it's has been years since i've watched it also society which i've not watched since it's original release.

need to check out mona lisa as well as i've never actually watched it and yet heard so many good things about it.

good to have you back johnny and hope you get well soon!

-

ordered this over the weekend - the last horror film starring joe spinell and caroline munro for £7.99 with free postage which i thought was a good deal,have it on dvd under the title of the fanatic and the picture quality is atrocious so looking forward to picking this up.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, thank you guys.. you all make me feel welcome again ! [Smile]

Yeah, i have that Videodrome limited edition pre-ordered as well. It's probably my favorite Cronenberg movie.
I already have the Criterion dvd edtion, not the blu-ray.. so this will be the ideal opportunity to upgrade.

One thing that's pretty annoying though is the devaluation of the euro, which causes prices to rise sky-high.
Import dvd's and blu-rays from the US and the UK were never before so expensive. [Mad]

Posts: 2178 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also got some very cool German imports recently, like these :

-  -

Season For Assassins (1975) and Night Ripper (1986), both on blu-ray / dvd combopacks ! [Cool]

Posts: 2178 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

cool looking flicks johnny,i'm positive i've not seen either of them.

i've also got scream factory's from a whisper to a scream blu ray headed my way.

johnny have you had anymore scream factory discs since we last spoke,i want to upgrade to the class of 1984 blu ray they've released,also still haven't picked up deadly eyes yet.

johnny do you happen to have the bronson/lee marvin movie death hunt on blu ray from shout factory,if so i was just wondering what the release is like?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Oh yeah, i've got a whole bunch of new Shout / Scream Factory releases from the last three months or so,
including From A Whisper To A Scream.

That probably didn't come as a surprise, now did it ? [Big Grin]

From A Whisper To A Scream is loaded, and i mean seriously LOADED, with extra goodies, including two feature-length
documentaries. Basically, it's worth (re-)purchasing this blu-ray for the extra's alone !
Director Jeff Burr seems very comfortable doing commentaries and interviews. He's a likable guy with lots of stories to tell.

There's a couple of Scream Factory releases i didn't buy (yet), which include the Ghoulies 1 + 2 double-feature
and Tobe Hooper's Invaders From Mars. That last one was also released in the UK last week, probably with
the same transfer, but with completely different extra's, so i need to do a little homework on that one i guess.

I also have a whole bunch of new stuff pre-ordered, including Scream Factory's upcoming Shocker, Nomads,
Metamorphosis / Beyond Darkness (double-feature), and a new movie called The Editor which will be released
on a combopack in september.
I'm also still waiting for I Madman and The Howling 2 (say what you want, but i love it).

Shout / Scream Factory discs hardly ever disappoint, and it's safe to re-purchase, even if you already have
a particular movie on dvd.

And yes, i also have Death Hunt laying around somewhere. It's one of Bronson's better, more adventurous movies,
in my opinion. I already had it on dvd from Anchor Bay Entertainment, but that disc was devoid of any
substantial extra's (besides a trailer). The blu-ray version has two commentary tracks, which i have yet to listen to..
but hey, that's beside the point. [Big Grin]

As far as the more recent releases go, they're still all factory-sealed here. I didn't really watch any movies lately,
so i've got a lot of catching up to do.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
What with scream factory,kino and olive releasing some pretty cool stuff plus uk labels arrow and 88 films it's hard to keep up,plus you need some really deep pockets as well!

I reckon there is at least 25 + blu rays that I would seriously like to grab at the moment but what I'm doing is looking at which 2 maybe 3 titles are going the cheapest that month and gradually trying to chip away at them.

From kino I wouldn't mind picking up - the first power starring Lou diamond Philips,also avenging force,running scared and the package.

Not purchased any of there releases yet but have heard that they are pretty good transfer wise.

Quite a few of my scream factory releases I have managed to pick up for under 10 UK pounds so far- terror train was pretty cheap as was - I come in peace with Dolph lundgren and also - the nest was under 10 pounds .

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Those Olive releases are seriously over-priced, in my opinion. I did get the recently released Thrashin' on blu-ray.
I would have been interested in Baby It's You and Street Smart as well, but they're just too expensive.
If they were fully loaded special editions, then maybe.. But for a bare-bones release it's a no go for me.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
i've got ticks,witchboard 2,night of the scarecrow and night of the demons 2 from olive films so far on blu,witchboard 2 has a few extras and i think night of the scarecrow has something or other but i have noticed the last couple of batches they've released are completely free of any extras.

i did fancy picking up ski school as i've never had the chance to watch it but no way am i paying 15 uk pounds for it,i agree there releases are way overpriced!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I actually do own that same batch of horror titles from Olive Films, but they were released before
the massive devaluation of the euro. Prices were completely different when those titles just came out.
The current price for an Olive blu-ray here is around 30 euro's (approx. 21 UK pounds), while an Arrow disc
from the UK costs around 25 euro's (somewhere between 17 and 18 UK pounds) when they have just been released.
Prices for UK import discs drop about 4 months after release date, while US imports always stay the same.

A couple of months ago i had a discussion about this with the guy who owns the shop where i buy most of my stuff,
and he told me prices for US imports went up about 20% within less than a year because of the euro's downfall.

Long live Europe ! ..sigh.. [Roll Eyes]

Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Killing Edge from 1986

I bought this VHS tape from Salvation Army.

It has to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Apparently it's set in the not too distant future and it really gives you no indication of any significant background of why the guy is in this situation or why the world is like it is. Straight from the get go you can tell that the movie probably cost 10 bucks to make. The filming, the acting, the story and anything else you can think of is terrible.

Has anyone seen this?

If anyone wants the tape I will post for free anywhere in the world. I need to get the tape out of my house it's that bad. I thought the movie might be about a one out of ten but quickly realised that the movie was 100 times worse.

Any takers?

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Sounds like my kind of movie, Bernie ! [Big Grin]

In my search for cheaper ways to obtain my beloved import dvd's and blu-ray, i happened to come across
a Dutch online store specialized in alternative music. Apparently they also carry UK dvd's and blu-rays..
and for far less money than where i usually buy my movies ! (sadly no US imports though)
So i decided to give this a try, and whadda ya know.. It worked !

The awesome Milano Calibro 9 on Arrow blu-ray + dvd combopack, Biggles on blu-ray, Trancers 2 on blu-ray,
the Australian Wyrmwood ; Road Of The Dead on blu-ray, and Lars Von Trier's 'art-house'/trash-fest Nymphomaniac
in its +5 hrs. long director's cut on a 2 disc blu-ray set.

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scored Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Throw Momma from the Train on vhs.
Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 -

This actually turned out to be a pretty good buy, and may very well be one of Second Sight's best blu-ray releases !
Superb video quality and loaded with extra's.. and the movie itself was a hell of a lot more fun than i remembered.

Check out this clip to get an overall impression : www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLa3G2bULwo

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really lucked out of late:

Scored Hot Pursuit for a cool 2 bucks!

Got flash dance DVD for fifty cents at a library sale!

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of 70s stuff lately:

Bone (1972) & Shamus (1973)

-  -

Scarecrow (1973) & The Longest Yard (1974)

-  -

True Confessions (1981)

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Funny you mentioned those Burt Reynolds movies.. Among the stuff i bought in the last two or three months were these :

-  -

I used to have Hooper on VHS back in the 80's. I watched the climax over and over again. Couldn't get enough of it.

Pure childhood nostalgia ! [Smile]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Burt Reynolds marathon coming soon [Wink] Still haven´t got Hooper though.
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
And there's even more Burt Reynolds coming soon :

-

Kino Lorber's september / october line-up is pretty strong : Vigilante Force, Defiance,
Savage Weekend, Burnt Offerings, Slam Dance, Modern Girls, and Heart Of Midnight.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Malone is awesome I have the mod (made on demand) disc they released of it sometime back,I know it's had a blu Ray release I believe in Germany but I'll definitely upgrade to the new kino blu when it arrives.

Vigilante force is fun as well,also like Hooper a lot and sharky's machine,what's the transfer like on both Johnny and are warner's still distributing there discs in those eco cases I so despise?

Never seen Shamus,that's one Burt movie I need to check out and the scarecrow with Hackman and Pacino sounds ace,seen true confessions though and did not dislike that and the longest yard is a 70s classic!

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got the BURBS.
Who names their dog Vince

[ 11. August 2015, 19:13: Message edited by: TerdNthePoolGGB ]

Posts: 1995 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
Just got the BURBS.
Who names their dog Vince

"is a thermostat on a home furnace supposed to go to 5000 degrees"
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Vigilante force is fun as well,also like Hooper a lot and sharky's machine,what's the transfer like on both Johnny and are warner's still distributing there discs in those eco cases I so despise?

Oh yes, the folks at Warner's are still trying to save the environment and make this world a better place.
I was fortunate enough to get two perfect copies without cracked cases or punctured / ripped sleeves, thank god !

By the way, the Wolfen blu-ray (from the Warner Archives Collection) is packaged in a regular case.

Both Hooper as well as Sharky's Machine got a 4 star rating for video-quality on Blu-ray.com.
They're indeed both good transfers, but to emphasize the difference between the two, i'd rate
Hooper slightly higher. Sharky's Machine looks extremely grainy in certain scenes. Maybe it's because
Sharky's Machine is fairly dark, while Hooper plays out mostly in broad daylight, i'm not really sure.

[ 13. August 2015, 03:31: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I have Vigilante Force and Malone mod´s.
Vigilante Force is pretty good MEN´s film. Kristofferson is one mean dude and there´s just no place for women in that small California town [Smile]

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

vigilante force director george armitage hasn't made many movies but the one's he has a few of them have been absolute crackers - grosse point blank,miami blues and to a lesser extent but still very entertaining - vigilante force.

but his last outing - the big bounce from 2004
seemed to recieve some pretty mixed reviews,based on an elmore leonard novel and starring morgan freeman,owen wilson,charlie sheen ,gary sinise amongst others it seems to have a pretty cool cast.

i've never seen it myself but do have it added to my rental list.

anyone out there ever checked this one out?

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
hooper is such a fun reynolds flick and i think burt definitely looks like he's having a lot more fun in this sort of role than in his later outings such as - rent a cop and heat.
 -

sharky's machine is pretty great also!

i've always liked the 1986 burt reynolds action thriller heat a lot and think it to be one of burts more underatted movies of the 1980s and is certainly one that i wouldn't mind seeing hitting blu ray at some point.

i know heat comes with two completely different endings,in the european version which i have on vhs tape Peter McNicol's character dies at the end where as in the us version he survives.

-

anyone seen jason statham's 2015 action drama - wild card which is based on the same william goldman story?

looking on imdb from burt 80s stuff there's a few i've still yet to see,i've never seen - paternity,best friends with goldie hawn,blake edwards - the man who loved women,stroker ace.

from the late 70s - semi tough and starting over are 2 i've still yet to see

i thought burt was really superb in bill forsyth's comedy breaking in and i think it's a really great little movie that deserves a lot more credit than what it gets!

-

[ 13. August 2015, 14:32: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home