iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

And these 2 Gary the tennis coach starring seann William Scott on DVD for really cheap and dangerously close on blu ray (us import).

[ 22. March 2015, 16:10: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Few dvd´s i just bought:

The Believers (1987)

-

Rich & Famous (1981)

-

Punchline (1988)

-

Only You (1994)

-

American Yakuza (1993)

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen punchline,rich and famous or american yakuza.

Been wanting to watch punchline for some time now,rich and famous is one that's completely passed under my radar,not sure whether I've actually ever come across that one before and american yakuza is one I've heard off but never seen.

I just looked up American yakuza and it has got a really good cast viggo mortensen,Michael nouri and one of my favorites Robert forster,it sounds good.

I have seen - The Believers and that is really great as is only you with Downey and tomeI.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Warrior, did your Dangerously Close blu-ray come in that transparant case ?

My own copy had a traditional blue one. [Confused]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven´t seen Punchline, Rich and Famous or American Yakuza either.
I remember loving The Believers when i saw it in the late 80s and i remember watching Only You when it was released here on vhs in the mid 90s.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
No your not going crazy johnny, it did come in the traditional blue case but it had a nasty crack on the edge of the case so I replaced it with one of the transparant amaray cases I picked up of eBay a while back.

That's the trouble now,half the cases (especially Eco) are no way as strong as they used to be,add on to that a heavy handed postman and you normally get a dvd/blu ray through your letterbox that looks like its come from a warzone!

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Always remember picking up a pile of DVDs of my cabinet and at the bottom was the Jon cryer comedy hiding out which happened to be in an Eco case and my fingers literally pushed in some of the artwork,there's no support there whatsoever.

That's why I hate them so bad,you pay good money for some of these films and to get what is in all respects about half a dvd/blu ray case with all these holes punched in them is a big joke!

At least olive films (that released dangerously close) and scream factory do there releases in the traditional cases,it's Warners and some of the others that are guilty of it.

[ 23. March 2015, 03:35: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
That's the trouble now,half the cases (especially Eco) are no way as strong as they used to be,add on to that a heavy handed postman and you normally get a dvd/blu ray through your letterbox that looks like its come from a warzone!

Ah yes.. a couple of years ago i bought the Urban Action Collection, a terrific 4-movies-on-2-dvds set
pairing Black Belt Jones and Hot Potato on disc 1, and Black Samson and Three The Hard Way on disc 2.
It was packaged in another one of those eco-cases (and yes, it was indeed a Warner Brothers release)..
It turned out disc 2 had a crack, from the outside right to the centre.. like something penetrated
through the outer case breaking the disc. God knows what happened to it, but it takes a lot of blunt force
to actually break a disc. They massacred a perfectly fine double-dose of classic blaxploitation ! [Mad]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I think johnny we should send black belt Jones round to the warner studios to throw some hot potato's at them.

Or better still some eco cases. [Big Grin]

[ 23. March 2015, 11:53: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Look at what i received in the mail today ! [Cool]

-

Wanda Whips Wall Street (1982)

Isn't this awesome, or what ??

If you don't believe me, read the review : www.10kbullets.com/reviews/w/wanda-whips-wall-street/

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
I want it! They say that it has "killer library music score" and everything [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Got these:

Let´s Do It Again (1975)

-

Ellis Island (1984)

-

Dirty Weekend (1993)

-

Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picked these up yesterday

-
 -

Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Brand new imports from the US were delivered at J. Roarke's residence just moments ago ! [Big Grin]

Highlights include Der Fan (1982), which is the latest from Mondo Macabro on a blu-ray + dvd combopack.
From Grindhouse Releasing there is Massacre Mafia Style (combopack), as well as The Swimmer (combopack)..

Also : Roommates / A Woman For All Men (combopack), Scream Factory's The Phantom Of The Opera blu-ray,
Bruno Mattei's Island Of The Living Dead and Zombies ; The beginning, and also the latest releases
from the Vinegar Syndrome label, including their combopack release of Don't Go In The Woods.. Alone !

I love spending money ! [Big Grin]

I hate looking at my bank statements ! [Roll Eyes]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Johnny when you get chance if you can let us know what the transfer is like for phantom of the opera on blu ray I would be grateful,I have a region 1 DVD of it and wouldn't mind upgrading to the blu.

I picked up scream factory's new years evil blu last week and will definitely pick up class of 1984 at some point and invaders from mars.

Dirty weekend that's one film I've not seen in a long time,never seen - let's do it again or Ellis island.

Stripes,I love that movie booger as I do the - three amigos and - groundhog,great films!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
quote:
Johnny when you get chance if you can let us know what the transfer is like for phantom of the opera on blu ray I would be grateful,I have a region 1 DVD of it and wouldn't mind upgrading to the blu.

I also have that same region 1 MGM dvd version.. so last night i did a direct comparison between the two.

Blu-ray.com did a review not too long ago and rated the blu-ray's video-quality three stars,
just like they did with Scream Factory's New Year's Evil disc. But to be honest, i was very happy
with how that one turned out when i actually saw it for myself.. and i can easily assure you the same goes
for The Phantom Of The Opera. The new blu-ray version looks considerably sharper with much more detail.
(In fact, the older dvd looked rather soft and kinda disappointing once i saw the blu-ray transfer)

Plus an array of very cool new bonus features which include the participation of Robert Englund,
Jill Schoelen, and director Dwight H. Little (to name but a few), make this blu-ray well worth the upgrade !

Another good job by the fine folks at Shout / Scream Factory ! [Smile]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Cheers johnny I will definitely pick that up at some point,it's not to badly priced either for a scream factory release.

Johnny have you ever seen the 1980 prison flick - brubaker with Robert Redford,when I was browsing through import blu rays I noticed that it was going for pretty cheap,I have seen it years back but can't remember what I thought of it,I'm tempted in picking it up .

Has Anyone seen brubaker (1980) before,is it Any good ?

Booger
Master Rewinder
Member # 4569

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Booger   Email Booger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stripes,I love that movie booger as I do the - three amigos and - groundhog,great films!

I haven't seen Three Amigos in years so I don't know what to expect. Stripes is one that was in constant rotation in my home during the Summer in the 80s. Love that one!
Posts: 115 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The private eyes with Don knotts and Tim conway. vhs
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gross Anatomy (1989) on DVD. Oddly enough, I bought this on Blu-ray from our local Dollar Store ($3) a while back. Found the regular DVD at a second hand shop a couple days ago...for $2...had to grab it. And yes...I did need it in regular DVD format to go with my primary collection!!!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
warrior, Brubaker is a very good prison film, watched it couple of years ago for the first time.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just got these two:

Nuts (1987)

-

Burke and Wills (1985)

-

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I got myself these UK imports :

-  -

Hal Ashby's Harold & Maude (1971) and Robert Altman's Nashville (1975)

I also thought it was time to catch up with the latest two from David Cronenberg,
Cosmopolis (2012) and Maps To The Stars (2014), both on UK blu-ray.

Me happy again [Smile]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to get Sisters of Satan on VHS. Sounds awesome.
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love almost all of Cronenberg's stuff, but that said, Cosmopolis and Maps to the Stars are not for every taste, nor are they his best films. Maps is more accessible, mostly because it so twisted and laugh-out-loud funny in spots. I can admire Cosmopolis more than really enjoy it. It's very well done--most of the action taking place inside Robert Pattison's limo--but it's all talk, which I found interesting, until Paul Giamatti shows up, and there's some semblence of a linear plot. Pattinson and Giammatti are both superb, as is Julianne Moore in Maps. When you see them, Johnny, note the inside Cronenberg joke: In Cosmopolis, Pattison rides in the back of the limo; in Maps, he drives the limo. [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home