iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  28  29  30   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pumpkinhead's pretty great j2me,i can't think of any reasons of the top of my head why you wouldn't like it.
The set designs and the actual pumkinhead monster it self are really awesome,plus lance henriksen is a terrific actor.

Put it this way I've had it on vhs,DVD and when the price,well it's at pretty good price at the moment but when it does go down a bit more I'm going to be getting it on blu ray.

So that gives you a bit of an idea what I think about it,a great horror film.

scream factory have also released the sequel which I have seen but remember very little from,one thing I do remember though is it doesn't live up to the original.

J2me did you watch the original death wish the other day I take it on blu ray,what was picture and sound quality like,did it seem like a step up from DVD?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the young warrior:
Pumpkinhead's pretty great j2me,i can't think of any reasons of the top of my head why you wouldn't like it.
The set designs and the actual pumkinhead monster it self are really awesome,plus lance henriksen is a terrific actor.

Put it this way I've had it on vhs,DVD and when the price,well it's at pretty good price at the moment but when it does go down a bit more I'm going to be getting it on blu ray.

So that gives you a bit of an idea what I think about it,a great horror film.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to watching it tonight.
quote:

J2me did you watch the original death wish the other day I take it on blu ray,what was picture and sound quality like,did it seem like a step up from DVD?

Both are excellent. It's a big improvement on the DVD, well worth picking up.
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers j2me,one last quick question,I know it's distributed by warner in the us did it come in one of those stupid Eco cases with the big holes in?

The odd title I've ordered lately has had damaged artwork from where they've used the Eco cases.

It probably won't stop me from buying it if it has but it's so annoying when you want the covers looking good on your shelf but they turn up slightly beaten up because there's inadequate support because half the cover is missing due to bit of penny pinching on the distributors behalf!

[ 12. February 2015, 11:45: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, it comes in an Eco Case.  -
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought Forbidden Zone (1980) Arrow blu-ray.

-

And finally found Never too Young to Die (1986) dutch vhs tape.

-

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

purchased on blu ray the other day the 1987 comedy blind date starring bruce willis and kim basinger,got it at a pretty good price.

[ 13. February 2015, 08:12: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i purchased a blu ray/dvd combo yesterday of the 1983 horror slasher - the final terror starring daryl hannah,rachel ward,adrian zmed and lewis smith.

saw this a few years back on a uk thorn emi vhs that was slightly trimmed of violence,it's a pretty decent wilderness horror/slasher.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

leviathan (1989) on blu ray.

http://youtu.be/u4ugObcErgc - leviathan 1989 trailer.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:

And finally found Never too Young to Die (1986) dutch vhs tape.

-

like to check this one out at some point,really rare movie,vanity and gene simmons,sounds like a fun flick!
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i thought i'd get myself a blu ray or 2 but i didn't want to spend to much money so i set myself a 10 uk pounds limit.

plus amazon do free delivery over 10 pounds which was the main issue.

so i got myself brian de palma's - the fury (1978) on blu ray for just over 6 pounds .

-

also got on blu ray 2009's ninja (under 5 uk pounds) starring scott adkins,which is sought of like a throwback to the old 80s ninja flicks.

obviously not as much fun as say american ninja 1&2,revenge of the ninja etc but still pretty cool all the same.

i quite like scott adkins,i've seen him in quite a few fun action flicks - ninja 1 and 2,assasination games,universal solder - day of reckoning,the horror movie - stag night etc.

not ever checked out the fight flicks -undisputed 2 & 3 which he appears in but have heard they are a lot of fun.

so in the end i spent not much over 10 pounds,got the free delivery i wanted and 2 movies i really enjoy,especially - the fury,been wanting to get that since it came out!

[ 01. March 2015, 10:27: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first big package of 2015 arrived here today !

So lots of new stuff that will keep me busy for quite some time.

Titles include La belle Captive, Dangerously Close, A Candle For The Devil (as released by Scorpion),
New Years Evil, Cronenberg's Rabid (the new Arrow UK combopack), several of the latest from 88Films,
and all Vinegar Syndrome releases from january and february.

Me happy ! [Smile]

Posts: 2178 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Johnny when you get get chance let us know what the transfers are like on dangerously close,new years evil and rabid.

did you happen to get slaughterhouse on blu from 88 fims?

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can probably guess the answer to that last question ! [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 2178 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I took a quick look at several of my new dvds and blu-rays, just to get a first impression.

New Year's Evil and Dangerously Close have very handsome transfers.. nothing really to complain about.

The Slaughterhouse blu-ray from 88Films was somewhat less impressive. Sunny daylight scenes look way too dark.
It's not a bad transfer by any means, but those interested in buying this should keep in mind that even the best
restoration process can only go as far as the condition of the source material allows it to go, i guess.
It looks appropriate for the type of movie it is.. Just don't expect any miracles for this one.

I also have all 4 Toxic Avenger movies on blu-ray from 88Films, and if you really want to be surprised,
i suggest you check out part 2. It benefits tremendously from the upgrade to HD, and looks truly amazing on blu-ray.
In fact, it looks way better than any of the other three, even when compared to part 4 which was made a decade later !

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is dangerously close worth a blind buy? I haven't seen it but it's been in my wish list?
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Is dangerously close worth a blind buy? I haven't seen it but it's been in my wish list?

I'd say go for it muffy,it's not perfect by any means but for what was probably put together on a relatively small budget it's both stylishly shot and quite entertaining.

It's got a great cast and a cool soundtrack as well and it definitely gives of that 80s vibe.

I own it on vhs and when funds allow me I will look at upgrading it to blu ray so that gives you some idea to how much I like it.

So yeah I'd say give it a go,or you could hold off if your still not sure and see if it pops up in the sales at some point down the line.

[ 05. March 2015, 01:44: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I remembered Dangerously Close from the glory days of the videostore era, but had never actually seen it.
The first impression i got when i was checking out my new blu-ray copy was that it was in fact much better
and more serious than i expected.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK thanks guys! I'm going for it. That and the high spirits/ vampires kiss blu! I'll let you know!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
I should think you will like it muffy,it has got a few flaws,the acting's a bit stiff at times and also it does have a bit of a low budget feel to it all but there's enough positives (cast,soundtrack,etc.) I feel to give it a good recommendation.

I like it anyway.

I want to get the high spirits/vampires kiss blu ray,I really enjoyed both movies.

I know vampires kiss gets a lot of stick from some but I found parts of it so funny.

It's definitely bonkers!

[ 05. March 2015, 15:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
I decided to get a few, De Palma, classics.

-  -

-  -

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

i ordered 90s horror comedy idle hands on blu ray the other day,picked it up for not much over 7 uk pounds.

also got (not arrived yet)

-

dangerously close on blu ray.
an entertaining low budget high school vigilante flick with a pretty cool soundtrack and a decent cast.

and lastly on dvd i got
 -

for not much over 2 uk pounds i got a new dvd copy of - balls out gary the tennis coach starring seann william scott and randy quaid.

really daft gross out comedy that raised a good few laughs,definitely worth the couple of pound i spent on it.

[ 10. March 2015, 12:52: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Robocop (1987) .. the 4K restoration on blu-ray

Looking better than it ever did, and all extra's from the 2 dvd set have been carried over, plus some additional goodies
exclusive to this 2014 re-release, including a reunion / Q & A from 2012 with Paul Verhoeven, Peter Weller and Nancy Allen.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

just ordered two 80s comedies that i have never seen and they are morgan stewart's coming home starring jon cryer on dvd

and

-

from the hip starring judd nelson,john hurt and directed by bob clark (porky's).

did want to try and get - a thing called love (another film i've never seen) starring river pheonix but it was a bit to expensive for my taste!

i bet that looks good on blu ray johnny the remastered version of robocop.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
It does. I watched it yesterday ! [Smile]

I knew this remastered version had been released in the US as well as the UK.. turned out it was also released
right here in Holland.. and easily available for just under 10 euro's !

It's getting kinda confusing though, since there have been several different dvd releases,
and also 2 different blu-rays, not to mention numerous box-sets too !

This is the one to get : www.blu-ray.com/movies/RoboCop-Blu-ray/89781/#Review

The review is for the US version, but the exact same disc is available in different territories.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

This is what I've picked up in the last fortnight or more,I got Morgan Stewarts coming home,from the hip (slightly damaged cover,stupid security code tags and Eco cases) and idle hands imported from the states.

Also took a trip into my city center of Canterbury (which is a rare event for me) and popped into hmv and picked up - slaughterhouse on blu for 8 pounds 99 pence,the unholy for 4 pounds which I haven't seen for years and wanted to check out again and 90s slasher valentine for 3 pounds,can't remember much from this,it might suck but at 3 UK pounds it's not the biggest loss and probably about the same sort of price as a rental.

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home