iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Dragon's Lair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dragon's Lair
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy, folks.

I was driving past a local strip club called the Dragon's Lair (been there, done that),

and I thought, hey! - Lair was a WICKED video game from the '80s!

I remember when this cartoon adventure game was new in the '80s, and you could play it at Showbiz Pizza (now Chuck E. Cheese's) in Oklahoma City...

Dude, I could start a whole new thread about Showbiz Pizza Place! (I lost my Class of 1997 ring in the ball pit at CEC's several years ago, while wooing a pretty young woman... wink, wink. Whole different story...)

Anywho, Dragon's Lair follows Dirk The Daring as he travels through a castle looking for Princess Daphne, held hostage by Singe The Dragon.

The medieval fantasy graphics by Don Bluth were amazing for 1983. The gameplay consisted mainly of remembering which combination of joystick moves to make. Pretty simple by today's standards, I guess. Still, it was tough for a kid my age to get past the first few levels, and I had to keep pumping tokens in!

Man, I remember when Chuck E. Cheese was a cool, adult mouse in a bowler hat, and not a weird little bike riding runt.

[ 16. December 2004, 00:37: Message edited by: TheHornedKing ]

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lastdaysofrain
Master Rewinder
Member # 2542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lastdaysofrain   Author's Homepage   Email Lastdaysofrain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently picked up a DVD of the complete TV series of "Dragon's Lair" was a a bit dissapointed. The annimation was pretty poor, I remembered the cartoon having animation on the same level as the video game, not the case.
Posts: 125 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reportedly Bluthfilm's supposed to put out a 3-D version sometimes in the near future.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horned King noone I know remembers Showbiz!!!

You've brought up many a memories for me today.
So I'd like to share a picture with you all....(I wish I had a scanner)

I once was a Showbiz Billy Bob Bear groupie:

-

Sadly ShowBiz pizza closed in the early 80's in my hometown. so this was probaly my last bear hug.....ahhhhhh.
Must explain our love for pizza huh Horned King? haha [Smile]
You used to get the coolest little albums that played Happy Birthday too.....Chucky Cheese just isn't the same now????

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Muffy... I would go to Showbiz all the time! I remember it well. I thought the animatronic bear band was just awesome. That was my favorite place growing up.
Now I take my little girl to Chuck-E-Cheeses. She loves the toddler rides and seeing the animatronic show there as well.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmm... pizza... [Drool, drool...]

The show, yes, the show... I love those talented critters.

I read somewhere that originally 14 states had ShowBiz Pizza Places.

I wonder how many of our fellow Rewinders have ever been to ShowBiz or Chuck E. Cheese's?

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
By the way, that is one cute photo!
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys there's a Showbiz Pizza website!!!!

Like I should have known we weren't the only ones!

Showbiz Pizza

I loved getting the rolls of tokens to play video games....and watching the animatronic shows....man if I heard the songs now I know i'd be able to sing along...haha

Bigfoot thats awesome you take your little girl to Chuck E Cheese...and awesome that she loves it! What a great way to get to be a kid again.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home