iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » C0cktails & Dreams!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: C0cktails & Dreams!
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any fans of this Tom Cruise & Elisabeth Shue Bartender to Beach Bum movie. It was my favorite Tom Cruise movie in the 80s. I know Bigfoot, say it ain't so "Top Gun" rocked too.

It was a great date movie, though it dealt with a touchy subject. C0cktail was definitely a formula movie, but when you have Jamaica, Waterfalls, and Elisabeth Shue the movie is fun to watch.

I realize several Rewinders are not Tom Cruise fans and this movie is full of irony and cheese, but you have to admit it was cool in the 80s. I even went to Jamaica Mon and checked out that Waterfall at Dunn's River Falls late at night with a really cool chick. [Cool] Btw, they have security now, in case you plan on doing the same thing. [Eek!]

My favorite part of the movie was after Cruise & Shue first meet and go to The Dance Cave and boogie to the Reggae band singing the song "This Magic Moment". They really appear to be digging each other fer sure.

May everyone find their Flugalbinder someday. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanRayGTO
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3562

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for VanRayGTO   Email VanRayGTO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C0cktail was a great Tom Cruise movie.....although Top Gun is THE Tom Cruise movie of the 80's.
Posts: 20 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really loved ****tail also. Tom and Elisabeth had great chemistry in this film. I remember around the time when this came out and there was an article and she was asked if Tom was the most influential person that she had worked with. She said he was nice but that she felt she learned more about acting from Craig T. Nelson.

I love the "spooks" in this one. It was a sad twist to the film to have Doug kill himself, but I guess that is the way that it had to be. Well anyway this was an awesome one, one that I need to add to my collection.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you have got to be kidding it is an actual movie title and it gets blocked out! I see how they did it up above C0cktail!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks for reminding me of this great movie, Val!!
Totally forgot about it. You're right about the cheese and all, but I used to love it nevertheless and rented it on video over and over, but somehow it completely slipped my mind recently. I also had a tape with the soundtrack which a friend of mine recorded for me - I lost it, but I remember that it was really good too! Wasn't The Beach Boys Cocomo on this one?

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorta O/T: I have a book called "Bad Movies We Love", and this movie is featured in a chapter on bad movies made from books.

Quite a few 80s movies made it into the Bad Movie book. To wit:

-"Endless Love"
-"Action Jackson"
-"Fear City"
-"Fatal Attraction"
-"And God Created Woman"
-"Satisfaction"
-"King Solomon's Mines"
-"The Lonely Lady"
-"Butterfly"
-"Fear City" (Which I gave a rave review to on this website)
-"Can't Stop The Music"
-"Xanadu"
-"No Mercy"
-"9 1/2 Weeks"
-"Revolution"
-"Siesta"
-"Communion"
-"Revenge" (A Kevin Costner flick that despite its' 1990 release date is actually an 80s movie...It's all in the copyright dates at the end of the credits)
-"A Night In Heaven"
-"Flashdance"
-"Where The Boys Are '84"
-"Two Moon Junction"
-"When Time Ran Out..."
-"The Delta Force"
-"Masquerade"
-"52 Pick-Up"

There's plenty of bad movies from the 30s all the way up to Sam and Hipster's fave rave decade the 90s.

Back on topic:

I had this on VHS for a while. Never really bothered to watch it...I much prefer Cruise in "The Color Of Money" myself.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It aint so. Top Gun rocked too. [Smile]
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Waterfalls too!! Infact..yesterday I walked 1 mile in the freezing cold, to sit by one. My advice to anyone is don't drink 2 shirley temples and 2 glasses of ice water, and then hike somewhere to sit next to running water, unless you are a glutton for punishment.

Valley-you showed a whole new appreciation for the movies, by doing something...I have yet to even do, by going to a place in a movie to recreate the whole thing.

I am glad you had fun with your "dream girl"...too bad it really was only a dream.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C0cktail: “when he pours, he reigns” love this movie (one of my first reviews for this site, many moons ago) it’s the kind of film that makes absolutely no effort to be realistic at all, great atmosphere though. And who could forget Cruise’s immortal barman rhymes? there are serious undertones to be found that subtly come though every now and then. A fine movie, ‘C0cktail’ is the ultimate Cruise allegiance film (if you like the man you’ll love it, if you hate him this will probably represent the nadir of 80’s cinema). Personally, I’m waiting for the special edition DVD.
[Big Grin] <---Cruise grinning

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jazzy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3488

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jazzy   Email Jazzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE LOVE ****tail! It totally rocked. My fave was when Jordan and Tom Cruise Character made love by the waterfall and on the beach. It was hot. I dont think I was even 5 when the movie came out though. But As I seen it over the years when I got older I fell in love with it.
Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's plenty of bad movies from the 30s all the way up to Sam and Hipster's fave rave decade the 90s
once again you assume WAY to much. Just because I defend the 90's on here doesn't make it my favorite decade. I have said on more than one occasion that I liked the 80's a lot, Ilike a lot of the current stuff but I felt the 90's were overall weak, but there was still some good stuff from the 90's. I mean the 90's can't be all that bad they gave us Nirvana didn't they?

As far as ****tail goes I thought it was a snoozefest.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain 666:
[QUOTE] I mean the 90's can't be all that bad they gave us Nirvana didn't they?

You're joking, right? Those jerks? They killed off the spirit of 80s music and you like them? That's one of the big things I hated about the 90s...Nirvana, that batch of suicidal lumberjacks, killed off good rock music. I'd rather listen to cheesy hair metal and remember when rock was about having a good time. Also, I feel that if you defend Nirvana (or gangsta rap or techno), you're ipso facto a 90s fan.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

ALL OR NOTHING, BABY! [Smile]

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nirvana was a great band and even though they were indirectly responsible for killing off hair metal which i still adore to this day I can't hold it against Nirvana. They just played great music and it was the record companies that killed off metal for it was them that started to sign and promote any and all bands out of Seattle instead of signing and promoting metal bands. Nirvana just played their style of music from the heart and can't be held responsible for the record companies to jump ship.

Like I have said before I judge each artist, band, group, song, genre, era etc on an individual basis; if i like something I like it if not I don't. I feel by limiting ones musical listening you're doing yourself a great injustice by not letting you love and appreciate different types of music.

Nirvana was a GREAT GREAT band.

R.I.P. Kurt Cobain

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home