iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » "Cheesy Movie Lines" poll

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Cheesy Movie Lines" poll
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this on cnn-news this morning, a poll out of Britain which asked for the cheesiest movie lines.

And he-eeee-re they are:

The list of big cheese moments:
1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"
2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."
4. "Ghost": Demi Moore's "Ditto," to Patrick Swayze's "I love you."
5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: "You can be my wingman anytime."
6. "Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her."
7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will not take our freedom!"
9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."
10. "The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner: "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No, I'm a postman."

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a girl but COME ON......"I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her." ...........makes me wanna gag! haha

I love "cheese lines" especially those from the 80's movies......ones I can use and look "oh so cool" using them.....(not really)but at least I think I do.

You know what i'm actually surprised didn't make this list...70's but over used....."Love means never having to say you're sorry." bluuuuuuuuh........haha [Big Grin]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that the cheesiest would have to be the Julia Roberts- Notting Hill thing. That makes me want to gag, too. GROSS!!
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is when Chuck Norris tells a guy "I'm gonna hit you with so many lefts you are gonna beg me for a right." something like that. I forget which movie it's from.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*yak* *spit*...
that dirty dancing line always bugged me, it wasn't cheesy, it was LAME-O!

what was wrong with the top gun quote? that wasn't so bad.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree on #2...that whole last sequence of DD is velveeta & cheez-whiz.

I love "Four Weddings" but agree with the poll wholeheartedly...OTOH #9 gets me every time!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha! Awesome list. Anyone have any others that they think should've been on there?
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Bigfoot:
My favorite is when Chuck Norris tells a guy "I'm gonna hit you with so many lefts you are gonna beg me for a right." something like that. I forget which movie it's from.

Invasion USA.

Forget cheesy lines, the cheesiest part of any action movie has to be the use of the American flag where it really isn't necessary.

One of my favourte moments of grand fromage comes from Black Hawk Down where Eric Bana gives his "its just war" speech at the end. Fantastic.

Or how about at the end of Volcano when all the people are covered in ash and that kid says "they all look the same"

And lets not forget the end of "The Day After Tomorrow" when the astronauts discuss how clear the Earth's skies look...

Man I could go on for hours...

Noms.

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Jerry Maguire double whammy - the above mentioned "You had me at hello", but also "You complete me"

The only time I enjoyed that line was when Dr Evil said it to Mini Me.

How about -
"You make me want to be a better man" - As Good as it gets.

It's interesting though, that lines from old films are never considered cheesy. Imagine if the following lines were used in modern films -

"Just put your lips together and blow"
"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again"
"We'll always have Paris"

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about...
''this is where the law stops...and I start.Sucka''
Poetry indeed from Sly'dont push me'Stallone in COBRA.
Or of course,Sly's other classic from COBRA...
''youre a disease...and im the cure''
Man i love that movie... [Razz]

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] Funny stuff. For the record, though, I find old movies cheesy--it just depends on which ones you pick out.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Muffster Said:

quote:
You know what i'm actually surprised didn't make this list...70's but over used....."Love means never having to say you're sorry."
Barbra Streisand: "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

Ryan O'Neal: "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

I had to put that in, it's from a personal fave of mine - 'What's Up Doc?'

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan 5.... (stop runnin' for a second)
you mentioned WHATS UP DOC?
That has got to be one of the best slapstick movies ever made.Love it!
Well mentioned my friend...
ok carry on running! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3565

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kat   Author's Homepage   Email Kat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheesy lines...mmm...cheese, I think there all at least a bit cheesy, who would ever say "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her." Now awnestly... lol But I personlay think #8 outbeats them all when it comes to the cream chees (am I making sence?) number 8 *burb*, number 8 *burb* lol (from the simpsons) anyway I havent seen much of Mel Gibson, even though he is one of the best acters...and an Australian for that matter but hey, it's not he's fault, he's just reading the script! [Smile]
Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Smayt, the best line of that movie though...

"I'll blow up this whole place"

"Go ahead, I don't shop here."

Great.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Let's do some good"

Kostner from The Untouchables.

So cheesy it makes your gums ich.

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
Totally agree with he who is Devo about the classic Whats Up Doc line.Brilliant.
But i must just mention how cool i thought Canyoudigit's last line was [Wink]
''so cheesy it makes your gums ich''
Maybe its just me,but the image that conjured up had me in stitches.
But like i said....maybe its just me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home