iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--Beetlejuice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Beetlejuice
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay-this was probablly Michael Keaton's most complex role. I never knew he could be so funny. I mean he was awesome in Mr. Mom, but he was almost like a Jim Carey character in this one. A Yuppie family moves to the suburbs of Connecticut for some "peace and quiet". They end up getting a heavy dose of ghosts, country decoration, and a big sand monster. This film really is entertaining. It is so funny that you can pick out a Tim Burton film anywhere, his moods are all the same throughout the majority of his movies. Good supporting performances by Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones, Winona Ryder, and Glenn Shadix. This is one that I look forward to adding to my collection some day.

What did you all think of Beetlejuice?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, why isn't it in your collection already????

I love Beetlejuice! I've seen it so many times. It is one of Tim Burton's masterpieces! I just watched it last week.....along with another goof! [Smile] I agree with the performances being outstanding. I love Catherine O'Hara in it! Winona was so young and so perfect to play the "dark and unusal"...Lydia. Watching Beetlejuice as an adult I notice so many things now.......like small details. How much do you think of the movie is Tim Burton......how many of those small details do you think were actually even in the script? Costumes, makeup, special effects,sets,props. It's such a visual movie. Colors set the moods in the movie.

Beetlejuice is an example of why I hope Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be outstanding!
I was dissapointed with Big Fish. I didn't think it was quite Tim's type of story it wasn't "dark" enough.

The Soundtrack and score to Beetlejuice is brilliant! Who doesn't need a little Harry Belafonte to make you shake your booty??? [Big Grin] Hand motions and all right??

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beetlejuice is an awesome movie. I think that everybody did a great job in it. It seemed like all the characters were perfect for the actors that played them. The guy that played the dad gives me the creeps now, though.
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah he definatley has gotten in trouble lately. More than once too.

I know I need to add it to my Christmas list this year. I actually asked for gift certificates so that I could add to my collection. There are some other ones that I want like Edward Scissorhands. It has been on TV so much lately that I have been catching it.

One of my favorite scenes in Beetlejuice is when Adam and Barbara walk through to get to Juno their caseworker and walk amongst all of the dead people. I like the way they showed the different ways that people died. Choking on a chicken bone, getting run over by a bus, or getting your head shrunken!!! Very clever part of the film.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jump in the line rock your body in time.
O-kay! I believe you.

Love this song, love the movie. Tim Burton just has a way of making his films so fun to look at. It's the colors and sets, it all works perfectly.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JLP...I absolutely loved this movie. I think it's Keaton's best performance ever. I liked him in Batman too.
I am a Tim Burton fan and I thought he did a wonderful job on this movie.
My favorite part was when Beetlejuice steals that guy's number ticket and the guy sprinkles that dust on his head and it shrinks.
I don't have the DVD either. I just bought The Nightmare Before Christmas last week and watched it for the first time.
Muffy...funny you should mention The Big Fish. I just rented it and am going to watch it as soon as I finish typing this.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE'VE COME FOR YOUR DAUGHTER CHUCK! [Big Grin]

hehe good pick jessi-baby [Cool]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the movie, and seem to be the only one besides Muffy who has the DVD. [Wink] Michael Keaton is great--Insane weirdos in movies? Yes for me! Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin are also great, although their outfits were just hideous. Is it wrong that I liked Catherine O'Hara's outfits better?

Now I can't watch the movie and see Catherine O'Hara without thinking, "KEVIN!!!" Hee hee. [Big Grin]

My favorite parts of these types of movies (I mean, movies with the hyperactive weirdos--Little Monsters, anyone? Howie Mandel SO modeled Maurice after Beetlejuice!) is when the "weirdos" suddenly lapse into normal--Not just on purpose, but it's like they're suddenly normal, but they realize they've gotta add some life in there, so they act like nothing happened.

I made sense; quiet, you. [Razz]

Edward Scissorhands! It's on my Christmas list as well. Great movie, and not really as sad as people make it out to be. My friend and I always thought it was funny when the women were gossiping in their pajamas--We could always point out the lady in pink, she just stood out so much; it was so funny. Not to mention, when I saw it for the first time (and, well, only time, actually), I recognized Dianne Wiest from The Lost Boys. Great cast.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Edward Scissorhand the last thing that Vincent Price ever did? I know he was pretty active in the '80s with Thriller, Dead Heat & Edward Scissorhand.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm another one who has the DVD! I absolutely love this movie... always have done, always will.

'Beetlejuice' works on so many levels in my eyes. From a cast I can't think of anyone else better to play, to the direction and style of Tim Burton, and most notably to the exceptional music from the brilliant Danny Elfman.

I really do love the opening scene, in which the aerial shot of the village is complimented with the now recognisable theme tune. I also love the day the new family move in, and the hilarious 'day-o' sequence.

Winona was so great in this movie, very sweet and weird at the same time. Catherine O'Hara has me in stitches with her over-the-top performance, and Geena Davis never fails to draw me in as always. Michael Keaton totally made the character his own, and I agree that there has been a lot of imitation since.... most notably from howie mandel in 'little monsters' which I love to bits also. I did however hate the character that is 'otho,' and I always felt sorry for our favourite ghost couple when he conducts the wedding scene. That guy is evil!

Well, I can't stress how I love this film. Does anyone know if a Warner Special Edition might be coming out... they've began to release all their earlier movies with new extras, so I was just wondering. If they do, I know I'll be one of many in line to purchase it.

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is so great. When life gets too hectic and serious, I love to watch this. It has everything, Beetlejuice, Winona, Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, even the guy who played the priest in Heathers, it has a great soundtrack, awesome sets, and that hysterical mom from Home Alone. And with Tim Burton and DDanny Elfman on soundtrack how can you go wrong? I wonder Johhny Depp would have added mto the stew if he was cast? Has there ever been any Edward Scissorhands vs. Beetlejuice threads?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home