iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Has anyone seen this: "Secret of My Success"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone seen this: "Secret of My Success"
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

And happy "Black Friday" to everyone. I am happy that I got my mother's looks and my father's work ethic.

The last time I was at his house William loaned me one of the lesser-known Michael J. Fox movies "The Secret of My Success." It is about a kid from Kansas who goes to New York City to seek his fortune. After some harsh turns of luck he ends up working in a mail room at the company headed by a distant relative. His seedy apartment has paper thin walls, apparently, so every night he has to hear the "unmistakable sounds of physical ardor" coming from the couple next door, which includes his and her moans and groans and headboard slamming against the wall. William used to make fun of this scene by banging his hand against the wall and making rapidly rising groan sounds. He can always get me to laugh that way.

Anyway, the movie is a fun '80s time capsule and includes lots of other funny scenes. It also has a lead from someone who was fairly busy back then but has dropped out of sight: Helen Slater.

Besides the BTTF movies this is my favorite Michael J. Fox offering. He is a wonderful person and still does act though now it is mostly voice overs. I know he's almost eight inches shorter than me but he's adorable!

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen The Secret of My Success. I got the song stuck in my head from when he was driving his "Aunt's" car. In all honesty, I watched it because I wanted to see Margaret Whitton. Now I can't watch Little Monsters the same way again. O.o
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie is funny and it was actually on our Rewind Top 20 list we did awhile back. I was shocked by that though, I liked it, but not top 20 from the 80s for me.

Hey Paul, we have tons of new members now, we should do a new list and awards show. I would like to see how it comes out now.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like The Secret of my Success too, but I thought Michael J. Fox and Helen Slater were 1 of the most oddly matched couples ever in a movie, she was like 10 feet taller than him.

It grossed me out when his Aunt was messing around with him.

I haven't seen it in a long long time though, so I can't remember alot of the details about it.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Giancarlo
Master Rewinder
Member # 2774

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Giancarlo   Email Giancarlo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The secret of my success is one of the most 80's movie.I do really like the atmosphere in it:New York,the look, yuppies and poppy songs.
It's very funny and the scenes with the aunt are really hilarious.

Posts: 119 | From: ITALY | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I like this movie too. The scene at the end where everybody tries to sneak into somebody's bedoom and all end up in the wrong room is hilarious!
It's definitely very 80s - happy end and all...
I even own the soundtrack.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with deathbystereo. Got the soundtrack too! I still listen to that song when I get depressed.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

It has it's moments. I liked the movie, but it's far from a Fox classic.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it was kinda gross that his Aunt was always trying to "Jump His Bones" But his Aunt has Incredible Legs! I love That Limo Scene!!
Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home