iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--Flash Gordon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Flash Gordon
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my I caught part of this last night and I am sorry for those of you who are fans but Yuck!! The acting was terrible. The costumes looked cheaply made and almost like they belonged in a Three musketeers themed show. Max Von Sydow did look cool as the evil guy. This one just had a lot of cheesey stuff in it that I couldnt' take.

What did you all like or dislike about this one?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jlp...shame, shame on you!!! This movie is a cult classic. Right up there with Howard The Duck. I loved this movie. I remember watching it in the theater with my Dad and my best friend.
I actually got to meet Sam Jones who played Flash a couple of weeks ago and he autographed my Flash Gordon poster. You're right about Max lookin' cool as Ming. He looked just freakin' evil!
And the cheese is what made the movie so good.
Next year is its 25th anniversary and there will be a 2-disk special edition DVD coming out for it.
To me, the cheesiest part of the movie was when Flash started playing a football game with that metal egg and was knocking down all of Ming's soldiers.
I read that there is a new big-budget Flash Gordon movie in the works...it should be more serious and the producers are ignoring the '80s movie all together and digging back into the original comic strips for material. I can't wait to see it.
Now that you got my 2 cents I'm sure Isis is going to jump all over you about not liking this movie too.
Go get her, Isis.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH my gosh, your so right Bigfoot!

I love Flash Gordon!! It is probably in my top 10 favorite movies. I thought the special effects were so great.

I love the entire cast- Sam Jones with his blonde hair, was so cute!! I Love him!!! I love him in those black leather shorts when they sentence him to death...wooooo hooooo hoooo.

Timothy Dalton is so good looking too in this movie.

I think Melody Anderson is drop dead gorgeous. I use to have an outfit exactly like the one she has on at the beginning with the white blazer, and I loved that she was a travel agent, and afraid to fly- because that was me!! So, I related to her big time.

I thought Ornella Muti was creepy at first when I watched it as a kid, but she grew on me, and now I think she was really pretty too. I hate when they torture her, and her Dad doesn't care, and let's them.

Ming was so cool. Max Von Sydow fit that part perfect.

I love the initiation ceremony where they have to put their arm in the stump and see if the wood beast gets them.

I would LOVE to meet Sam Jones. I have a pressbook from the movie, and I have the LP record by Queen. I love that soundrtack!! Flash...ah ah....he'll save every one of us!!

I love all the different planets, and I even ended up liking Topol.

But I thought Sam and Melody were so cute as a couple. I love when she thought he was dead, and she sees him, and runs and hugs him, and she says "boy do I have some crazy stories to tell you, and he says "save them for our grandkids", and she say...oh I except, and they drag her away from him, and she is yelling, leave us alone, I just got engaged! That is romantic to me. I love that part.

I never get sick of Flash Gordon, infact soon I am going to have to watch it. I usually watch it New Year's Eve, because it is so colorful, and exciting, and I have to start the year off on the right track.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pamorello
Rewind Curious
Member # 3522

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Pamorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Best thing about Flash Gordon is the Soundtrack. Queen even made the wedding march sound bitchin!
Posts: 4 | From: Columbus OH | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is Ben Dekker when you need him?

I love this move as well. I like the fact it is so different from most 80s movies.

Flash - ah - Saviour of the universe
Flash - ah - He'll save every one of us
- Seemingly there is no reason for these
- Extraordinary intergalactical upsets
- What's happening Flash ?
- Only Doctor Hans Zarkov formerly at NASA
- Has provided any explanation
Flash - ah - he's a miracle
- This morning's unprecedented solar eclipse
- Is no cause for alarm
Flash - ah - king of the impossible
He's for ev'ry one of us
Stand for ev'ry one of us
He'll save with a mighty hand
Ev'ry man ev'ry woman ev'ry child
With a mighty flash
- General Kala, Flash Gordon approaching
- What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching?
- Open fire - all weapons
- Despatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body

Flash - ah
- Gordon's alive!
Flash - ah - he'll save ev'ry one of us
Just a man with a man's courage
He knows nothing but a man
But he can never fail
No one but the pure in heart
May find the golden grail
Oh oh - oh oh
- Flash Flash I love you
- but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth

Flash

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's a Pinball Wizard!

-

Now that would be cool...right Bigfoot! [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you know what to get me for Xmas!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stephen Sommers (Mummy, Van Helsing etc) is apparently making a Flash Gordon movie. Before people start panicking about destroying the integrity of the original (a film which I will always love and watch everytime it comes on the TV) it is confirmed that he is not making a remake but will instead be basing his workl more closely on the old Flash Gordon comics. Expect special effects galore and a popcorn lovers movie and I think that's what you'll get. Expect oscar winning performances and script and you may be disappointed. I'll be following developments on this one closely...
Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it! Of course the acting bad ....its supposed to be, right? Its just such a silly movie you gotta love it. It makes me feel happy when Im sad.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically,it was George Lucas and his mystical beard who were originally planning to make a Flash Gordon movie back in the 70's.
His script was turned down and he ended up makin' this other sci-fi stuff,called er...
STAR WARS i think [Eek!]
Oh the weird world of Hollywood eh!!!!
My personal fave in Flash was Klytus.So mean and moody and voiced by i think,Peter Wyngarde who apparently used to be in 60's UK spy shows..
Jason King and Department S.
But of course after Star Wars in 77'.nearly every sci-fi movie in some way copied it.You can see echoes of S.W in Flash Gordon,eg- when you look at the costumes for the villains,apart from MING the VASE (sorry cant help myself),all the uniforms are very military in there styling,as are Stormtroopers in S.W.
But of course the clothing in Flash is still just a little bit camp,especially his pants.
Tight and white.... no need!
Classic.

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GORDONS ALIVE!!!!!!
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said that? was it Ming or was it Brian Blessed?
Ive met Brian and he says it wasnt him that said it.Now since meeting him i havent seen the movie so im unsure.Need to see it again.
But everyone reckons its Big Brian,except Big Brian.
???????

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
It was Brian Blessed that said "Gordon's Alive!!

I am 100% sure of it,I can't believe he doesn't remember. I thought he was so funny in Flash Gordon.

The one scene that freaks me out, is when Ming tells the guy to fall on his sword, and then the guy goes to kill Ming, and he freezes him, and then he stabs him in the stomach with the sword, I can never watch that part.

Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian Blessed turned on our Christmas lights in Northampton this year......... [Cool]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tobey
Master Rewinder
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tobey   Email Tobey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh it's cheesy all right.
"Flash, I love you. But we only have fourteen hours to save the earth." ... is about as cheesy as it can get.
But I love that line. That's every Hero and Damsell in Distress - movie ever made put in one sentence.
Got to love that film.
[Smile]

Posts: 173 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You gotta love how the Wedding March is the same in space as it is on Earth...
Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, Valley...Tha's the coolest pinball ever! I need one for my collection.
I love that sword he has. I would love to find a replica of it to buy.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
So E.A,Mr Blessed turned on your Xmas lights eh?
Well i can beat that ....
When i met him,Brian asked me if i(and others) wanted to join him in climbing Mount Everest.
But being as the weight loss on such an expedition in such high altitudes is very severe and being as im 10stone and a bit,the chances are i would have died.
So thanx anyway Brian but i reckon im gonna give it a miss.

Just as a bit of useless information for ya....
when Brian first climbed Everest he went up just under 18 stone,when he came back down he was 8 stone.Ive seen the pictures people.Grim!!!

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes FLASH has cheesy dialouge to spare. A great "Drinking movie". My favorite line is when when Dale goes to tell Flash all she's been through after he rescues her and he says "Save that story. You can tell it to our kids." WHAT A GROANER! Some movies are so good bad they stop being bad and start being art! FLASH is one of em.
Is it on dvd yet? Must...get...copy!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
Out soon Mama.
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
It is out but,man,the prices are pretty steep! I looked on half.com and amazon and the cheapest I can get it for is like $35!!!!
You would think a used copy should go for about $10....but, noooooo....$35.

Smayt Shatner
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
thats shocking,especially for a film thats been around for 20 years or so.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home