iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » who do you think was the most Underrated-Overrated actor or actress of the 80s

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who do you think was the most Underrated-Overrated actor or actress of the 80s
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want everybodys opinion

CAPTAIN RHODES

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Under-Rated '80s Actress Im stuck between Rainbow Harvest (who was a poor mans Winona Ryder) and Diane Franklin.

Rainbow flicks: OLD ENOUGH, MIRROR MIRROR
Dianes flicks: LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN, BETTER OFF DEAD

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just the 80s but underrated for decades, Brad Dourif. He's been in many many films, most of them playing a sub character, Chucky fans will recognise him.
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curtis Armstrong without a doubt. I mean could you imagine any of these movies without him??

Revenge of the Nerds
One Crazy Summer
Better Off Dead
Risky Business

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Gedde Wantanbe! Long Duk Dong. I wish he would have been in more movies. The only other one that I can remember seeing him in was Gung Ho.

What about Steve Guttenberg? He was so cute and funny and then he has since virtually disappeared. He was married and then had a very difficult divorce where he just kind of slipped off the face of the earth afterwards.

Jason Patric--Michael of The Lost Boys. He absolutely was perfection in that film. He has had a career where he has limited himself so that he can remain unrecognizable. He is probablly best known for stealing Julia Roberts from Kiefer Sutherland 3 days before their supposed nuptuals.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so agreeing with you Cindy!!!!

I love Curtis!!!!

Secretly I have a crush on him, funny huh?.....well maybe not so much as booger.....haha! [Razz]

He was very underrated as a great character actor!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooooooo yeah and good one with Jason Patric..Jessica!

It's like he didn't get any acclaim until that movie with Jennifer Jason Leigh.....i'm hearing the Eric Clapton song...I can't think of the title????...he is a great actor........poo on Julia Roberts!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gedde was also in VAMP.
He was/is a crack-up. It was fun to see him again in those I LOVE THE '80s specials.

Last time I saw Curtis he was in a horror anthology video getting down with some hot babe. Hahaha!!!

And Jason...why was he so hot looking in LOST BOYS and never hot looking in anything else? I never saw RUSH but he was critically acclaimed for that. What happened? Did SPEED 2 kill his career?

Yes....I call them by thier first names. I have been watching these peoples movies half my life...they are like family to me.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Okay..unless Im wrong the movie I saw Curtis in wasnt really a movie. It was a vhs of storys from a TV show called THE HUNGER.
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aidan Quinn. i don't know about the "most" but he is one of the underrated actors, i think.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Keaton for sure. Beetljuice, The Dream Team, Batman, Mr. Mom, Johnny Dangerously, Night Shift, Clean & Sober, Gung Ho. He was awesome. Beetlejuice by far is his greatest. This is my pick for kost underated in the 80's.

and Christopher Walken just for "At Close Range."

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skatefan
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3166

- posted      Profile for Skatefan   Email Skatefan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Pullman

While you were Sleeping
Independence Day
Malice
Sleepless in Seattle
Sommersby
The Accidental Tourist

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Giancarlo
Master Rewinder
Member # 2774

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Giancarlo   Email Giancarlo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most underrated are for sure Aidan Quinn and Melanie Griffith; I always considered them very talented and it's a shame that today they almost don't work at all.The most overrated was probably Rob Lowe, just a pretty face and nothing else.
Posts: 119 | From: ITALY | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underrated:

Deborah Foreman-she did my top favorites:

Valley Girl and April Fool's Day and Waxworks, and My Chauffer-even though I didn't like it that much it was still a cool 80's movie.

Jill Schoelen was under rated-I thought she was great in The Stepfather and When A Stranger Calls back, but she did so many others like Curse 2, Thunder Alley and Hot Moves, Cutting Class, Adventures in Spying and Babes in Toyland and D.C. Cab, I bet most people have no clue who she is either. But, she made a ton of movies, and I liked all of them.

Over rated- Arnold Schwartzenegger- I mean, he can't act at all, the only movie he has ever done that fit him was The Terminator, and I did like him in Kindergarten Cop-I thought it was a cool movie, and I like Arnold, but his acting is just bad news.

Sharon Stone-I can not stand her, she just seems like she would be one of the most mean and rude people ever, by the way she acts, on everything I have ever seen her in, like Awards Shows, or anywhere, she is just so full of herself.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
I dug this thread up.....because I can't find one like this I started awhile ago.....

so I watched Secret Admirer yesterday.....there are so many actors in this movie I consider underrated but cherished by me! For how many of my favorite movies they show up in and play such a part of.....so here's my list from Secret Admirer

Courtney Gaines: A good geeky guy friend (you threw **** on my house!)
Casey Siemaszko: BTTF, Stand by Me...of Course 3 o' Clock High
Cliff De Young: I remember him most as Christina Applegate's dad in Dance Til Dawn

All these actors I mentioned still have careers that are going strong and haven't really fell out of the limelight just maybe floating under it a little. [Smile]

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overrated would easily be Molly Ringwald...I've seen better acting talent in Trauma films...never understood why she was so popular?
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wizard:
Not just the 80s but underrated for decades, Brad Dourif. He's been in many many films, most of them playing a sub character, Chucky fans will recognise him.

I'm in kahoots with this pick as far as underrated actors go. Though Douriff has been in a lot of films..most did not receive the acclaim or praise they should have. But that wasn't the fault of Douriff considering he's mainly known for taking on suppoerting roles.

One particular perfomance from him that sticks out for me is his performance as the Gemini Killer in "Exorcist III." Though "Exorcist 3" was considered a huge flop and did have a rather weak story, Douriff's performace in it however was one of his best in my opinion.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman: It's like he didn't get any acclaim until that movie with Jennifer Jason Leigh.....i'm hearing the Eric Clapton song...I can't think of the title????

Probably know by now its Rush. Good book too. Underrated: Craig Sheffer-though his role choices have been a road less traveled.
Overrated: Tom Cruise

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two obvious underrated choices spring up for me: Daniel Stern & Jeffrey Jones. The former gets no respect from anyone even though he's highly versitile, adept at both drama (Breaking Away, Diner, & narrating The Wonder Years), comedy (both go-rounds as Marv and his sleeper role in Rookie of the Year), and even a little of both (the City Slicker films), while Jones is among the best at playing villains out there--perhaps unknowingly helped by his status as a real life villain, but the fact is we do come in time to loathe Rooney, the Dark Overlord, and numerous other bad guys he's portrayed.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
overated - tom cruise/sharon stone/winona ryder

underated - chris walken/jennifer connerly

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home