iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What is the perfect Thanksgiving Day Movie? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is the perfect Thanksgiving Day Movie?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We sometimes watch a movie on Thanksgiving after we all eat, to just kick back and relax, what do you guys think is a great movie to watch with your family?

I think some of the old Disney Classics are great to watch, also The Wilderness Family movies-they had Thanksgiving in the first one, or maybe Savannah Smiles...

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanksgiving for us always means

parades
food
cards
football
board games
food
food
food

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to watch a Christmas movie, like White Christmas or something like that.
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Like there are anymore than the two best...

Planes Trains and Automobiles.

And

Dutch.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Exorcist.
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PT&A, hands (and feet) down.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
80's movies that take place during Thanksgiving:

"Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"
Woody Allen's "Hannah And Her Sisters"

Are there any other examples from the 80's? I can't think of very many.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's one whose title I can't remember at all. What I can remember is this one guy dies over the turkey as he's preparing to cut it, and the rest of the family moves out to the country and after much trial and error start a successful fish farm. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Christmas Story

Home Alone

Uncle Buck

Home For The Hoildays

The Goonies

Trading Places

Die Hard.....I know alot of these movies have nothing to do with Thanksgiving but i have watched all these movies on Thanksgivivg at some point and time.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Giancarlo
Master Rewinder
Member # 2774

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Giancarlo   Email Giancarlo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Isis ,
last year I spent the Thanksgiving in Ny by some friends and we saw the great "Planes, trains and automobiles"; we laughed a lot even if I was cram full of food and goodies and sometimes I couldn't move any muscles of my face!Watch it but before lunch.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

Posts: 119 | From: ITALY | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skatefan
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3166

- posted      Profile for Skatefan   Email Skatefan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Giancarlo, I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving too- [Big Grin]

I remember I went on a double date to see Planes, Trains and Automobiles at the movies when it came out, and we thought it was so funny. I don't know when the last time I saw that was, I can't even remember it that much. I should watch it again. I don't even own it. I have to start a new list of stuff.

Sounds like lots of people think it is a good one.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The perfect Thanksgiving movie? Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. [Razz] He always had the best holiday specials. And his Thanksgiving dinner always looked so fun. It's nice to have variety every once and awhile.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love those CHARLIE BROWN specials.
PLANES TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES is good and they usually play it around this time.
And its never too early for A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is going to sound boring but I have to go with the standards on this one...Home Alone and Uncle Buck are just perfect! I think it's the house in each of these that gets me. So beautiful yet cozy [Razz] .
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the same reason i like watching Home Alone & Uncle Buck too Cindymancini!...

I love the homes in these two movie. Could'nt you just imagine spending the holiday in one of these houses. And beside you can't go wrong with a young Macauley Culkin for the holidays. They don't make em' like that anymore.

Before i forget Cindy....My favorite house in a movie is the house in WEIRD SCIENCE. Wyatt's House were the party was at. I just love the Kitchen in that home.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAXWORK!

Okay...so its not Thanksgivingt...but I just ordered it because we were just talking about it so Thats what Im lookin foward to.

"Lord...on Thansgiving I am thanful for....Deborah Foreman!"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Yep, that's one of the reasons I'd love to settle down in SHermer if it ever really existed--the beautiful suburban architecture. Hughes always gives his characters great places to live (although we never do see exactly where they live, I think it's a safe bet that at least half the Breakfast Club has similarly well-made residences, with Claire's likely bordering on the palatial).
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright C.T., now you're really freaking me out...it's like you read my mind or something. I have ALWAYS loved Wyatt's house, especially the kitchen. I've never told anyone that. WEIRD! It's kind of dark but I love the color of the cabinets and the tile. I want to live in Shermer!!!!! [Razz]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the best Thanksgiving movie to me is not 80's, it is actually the movie "It's A Wonderful Life".

It is a tradition at my house to watch it the night of Thanksgiving. I actually tear up and cry when I watch this movie. Not to get sappy, but we all do touch each others lives and we all are important in our own ways. My name's Valley, but I can relate to George Bailey at least once a year. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Who doesn't? It always seems that, at first glance, we don't make a difference in other people's lives (Lord knows I have a lot lately), but if you look close enough, you'll see how. It should really have been higher than 12th on the first AFI countdown.
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Yes, it is not 1980's and yes it might seem like a strange choice but last night I saw "Spiderman" for the first time.

There is actually a Thanksgiving Dinner scene in it! That's probably why Fox chose to show it on Thanksgiving night. I was in my typical "multi-tasking" mode but that movie absorbed my attention to where I had to look at it more closely.

Best Thanksgiving movie? I don't know. It might be the best superhero movie I ever saw. Or at least equal to Superman.

SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I love looking at houses too in movies. I like Wyatt's house too. I also like Jake Ryan's house.

I know someone who has a house that is almost a duplicate of the Home Alone House. The outside is just like it, but the inside was actually nicer, I know these people spent $16,000 just on wallpaper, and $5,000 a piece on chandeliers and they had 3 of them. It was so crazy. They had a livingroom off their bedroom. I think the whole house had 16 rooms in it, and there were only 2 people livng in it.

I love big cool houses. The house I really like on the outside is the one in The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, but I hate the inside, I hate all white walls, and it was too plain.

My all time FAVORITE movie house, is The Banks house in Father of the Bride 1 & 2, I love everything about that house. I love their kitchen.

I also liked Mr. Wilson's house in Dennis the Menace and his garden.

I always thought Bridgette Fonda's apartment in It Could Happen to you was really cute-I like the shabby chic look.

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always loved kicking off the holiday season on Turkey Day with the original "Miracle on 34th Street" and "It's a Wonderful Life."
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ValleyCat:
I actually tear up and cry when I watch this movie. Not to get sappy, but we all do touch each others lives and we all are important in our own ways. My name's Valley, but I can relate to George Bailey at least once a year. [Big Grin]

This thread has turned into two things I absolutley love talking about.......interiors in movies and It's a Wonderful Life!!!!

Valley I always cry at IAWL [Frown] ......"No one is poor who has friends." It's a classic for a reason and my favorite movie ever! Love and life and what impact you make on the people around you....ahhhhhhh. [Big Grin] [Wink]

As an adult...I notice the interior architecture in movies more then I ever did. I always wanted to grow up in a house with a second floor....with a cool staircase. My best friend growing up did and had the coolest second floor bedroom with a window seat.I was so envious of her.

One of my favorite houses in an 80's movie is definatly the house in Beetlejuice. I loved the loft in Big too. I still want a loft apartment like that with huge windows all around overlooking the city....I can still dream right???

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home