iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Paul's Movie Of The Day - MANNEQUIN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paul's Movie Of The Day - MANNEQUIN
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Jess for hijacking your theme, but I caught this one on VH1 yesterday by chance - hadn't seen it for ages, and so wanted to bring it out to wider notice.

The thing I love about this movie (aside from the scene with Kim Cattrall in a fur coat and underwear!) is the acting quality. Sure, McCarthy and Cattrall are so-so, but the rest are great. Estelle Getty is good as the store owner, and G W Bailey is typically funny as the Store Security Guard Felix. But for me, the two best - and the ones that steal every scene they are in, are Meshach Taylor as the outrageous Hollywood Montrose, and James Spader as the slimy, sneaky butt-kisser Richards. It's one of the movies that make me realise how good an actor Spader is, because he's done well in a wode range of roles (try commparing this to his roles in Stargate or Sex Lies & Videotape)

Excellent lines, a fun plot, and laughs all the way.

Thoughts, anyone?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this film.....I remember nothin's gonna stop us now being one of my favourite songs when I was about 9...and it still always makes me smile and sing along (loudly and tunelessly).....I love this film too, it was actually the first thing I ever saw James Spader in, so when I caught up on his previous stuff, he was almost unrecognisable.

GW Baily seems to have played the same character in all of his films...but he's pretty good at it, so it works.

Hollywood, is hilarious....nice car!!!....

and the best scene has to be when Kim and Andrew (we're on first name terms you know)...dress up and dance around the shop....closely followed by the geeky bloke at the end snogging Roxy.

Good call Paul (hey that rhymed)....however the second mannequin film...is better left unmentioned.

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I didn't mention it... damn.... that's done it now..... [Frown]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teen wolf too, Splash 2, the Fly 2, Tremors 2 and Mannequin 2..........what were they thinking?????
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

New bit of trivia for ya - the 'geeky bloke' had a bigger role in the unmentionable sequel - the actor (Andrew Hill Newman) played Andy Ackerman. If anyone knows who this was in the movie, please let us know - it'd be great to see a good bit-part actor from one movie get better success in a sequel.

Mind you, he want on to play 'Jaywalker' in Lethal Weapon 3, and 'Assorted Cheeses' in Fools Rush In......

Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonsense I am honored to have you chime in on this kind of topic. I really liked this film as well. James Spader was absolutely hilarious in it. I can't think of any other film that he has been in where he played such a nerd. I heard that he is really good in the Boston Legal that is on ABC now, a spinoff of The Practice. I liked him in the odd dark comedy The Secretary. He was definately different in that one.

The characters in Mannequin were well written and acted in.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about £3.00 on DVD in Asda at the moment.

Great film and Spader is his usual slimey self, what a talent this guy is, although most of his parts are very generic he plays them superbly.

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheResurrection
Master Rewinder
Member # 2326

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TheResurrection   Email TheResurrection   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen this one in a long while - but I just saw it on sale the other day, I didn't even remember 'Harris' or James Spader being in it.

I'll have to pick it up for sure this weekend.

Also Boston Legal is one of my favourite shows this year, Spader and Shatner play great characters every Sunday night.

Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mannequin is a great movie; one that I loved from the first time I saw it and still do now.

I think the appeal of having Kim Catrall coming to life made me somewhat exciteable when I was little... haha... I have just realised what I said. It was such a cool concept, and made a 'realistic' and believable romantic comedy because of its loveable two main characters. I know it was mentioned above, but I really like the dance sequence, and the part where Catrall flies the glider off the top floor of the store, forcing her to crashland into lots of equipment and goods. [Smile] awesome!

I cannot end this post without saying how I think the starship track at the end totally makes this movie for me. I also think Hollywood is really funny, (he cracks me up with his high pitch squeals) and I can't express how much I hate James Spader's slimeball character and McCarthys ex-girlfriend. In essence, they are what make this a good movie though I suppose....

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost forgot... the animated title sequence to this movie is a classic!

"in my wildest dreams..." [Smile]

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grems, I have been on a hunt to find that song "In My Wildest Dreams" by Belinda Carlisle forever!! It's like the Teen Witch Soundtrack...impossible to score [Frown] . But what a great song!!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy if you can't find the song there's no hope!!!!!

I love Mannequin!

I could probaly word every sentence of the movie if I had to......because of multiple viewings as a little girl.

Very true about the characters not really over the top......so believable and realistic too me....ok maybe a little exagrrateed! haha

Illustra! so 80's!

I love the Starship song........it puts me in this 80's trance....I totally remember watching it and singing along as a little one.....hoping to find my true love in a Mannaquin with the help of a man in funny sunglasses!

I'm a nut cause I have seen the sequel many times too.....Kristy Swanson! [Smile]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Your One Sick Puppy"

Yeah i remember watching this on HBO back in the 80s. My childhood friend and used to call each whenever it came on. We would always laugh at Hollywood and how he dressed. Now that was the 80s look. I can hear the theme song to the movie playing in my head [Smile]

"And we will build this thing together any kind of weather nothing gonna stop us now"

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Giancarlo
Master Rewinder
Member # 2774

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Giancarlo   Email Giancarlo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that I watched Mannequin for the first time only some months ago; I bought the dvd just because was a 80's flick but i have to say that I enjoyed it.It contains everything you expect from an 80's movie ( the soundtrack, the colourful life and the urban situation).The only thing I disappreciated was James Spader;another sneaky character!
Posts: 119 | From: ITALY | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home