iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--Howard the Duck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Howard the Duck
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this is a guilty pleasure film for me. I don't know why I love it so but I do. I wish that I had a copy of it. I think that my son would enjoy it. Howard was just so cute. He gets sent to earth from his planet and tries to get back home before its to late. Hilarious performances by Tim Robbins, Lea Thompson, and Jeffrey Jones. I love the references back on his planet like "Play Bill". It is one that I would love to see remade.

What do you all think of cute little Howard?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be no middle ground with this one, you either love it or hate it. I happen to be in the former group. I also don't know what makes this so likeable for me, but there's just something about it. Howard's just got that personality that sticks like glue. The jokes, while skewered heavily into the duck-parody range, are still screamers. Add to that Jeffrey Jones being his usual vile self (nobody does evil in Hollywood better than him, although I think Tim Curry comes a close second), and you've got a thorughly entertaining 2 hours. With Marvel pulling all their other projects onto the silver screen, I think it is conceivable we'll see Howard again soon.

If there's a Suncoast Video in your area, you'll stand a reasonable chance of finding it. That's where I got my copy.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of those who loved this movie. We were actually talking about this movie at work today. All the guys were making fun that I liked it. They thought it was awful. I thought it was cool. I remember back in the day that my brother had a poster of Howard with a guitar and it said "sex appeal" under it. He had it on his wall for years.
I had a copy at one time on VHS but I traded it hoping that soon it would be available on DVD. But apparently George Lucas hates this film too.

"nobody laughs at a master of quack-fu!"
-Howard

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it, but Lea Thompson is so damn cute it makes it just about watchable.
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie falls into the campy cult following type of movie. I found myself wondering why I was watching it at first, but now when this movie is brought up it brings a smile to my face, but I realized that smile was based on the McFlyDuck picture that was posted awhile back. Well the movie is good if you like quack fu!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a great film, yeah it's cheesy but that's part of the charm, I can't see why so many despise it so much. Oh and yeah Lea Thompson is hot in that film, as the pictures on the back of my soundtrack LP show [Big Grin]

My laserdisc of Howard the Duck arrived yesterday, unfortunately there's a customs charge I've yet to get round to paying so haven't actually got it, Parcelforce want 8 fricken quid just for their handling fee, let alone the customs charge, pushing the total cost to near £50, the most I've ever spent on a single film.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good god man...if that's not a tribute to the cheesy charm....nothing ever will be! [Razz]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This movie ruined my life.

As a young and innocent 8 year old I watched this movie with a group of my friends at the cinema. Before this film I had never seen a sex scene in my entire life so it was it was completely unfair that the first ever film-woodie I ever got was watching a very vveerryy sexy woman attempt to "screw" a duck.

I feel cheated, CHEATED, god damn this films creator.

CAPTAIN RHODES

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Lea Thompson, the only reason anyone really watched this movie. That and the song at the end.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily in my case. When I first saw it around age 5ish, it was the fact someone had been willing to make a live-action (to someone my age at the time, that equaled "grown-up"--in hte good way, of course) film about a talking animal like the dozens I'd seen in the innumerable cartoons on TV. Blissfully, a lot of the sexual references thus went way over my head. Yes, they did a great job making Thompson look heavily attractive, and that still holds up today. Even then, to be sure, I found myself strangely attracted to her. Sure, a lot of things don't really make sense on closer examination (if you'd come across a guy who's been possessed by a fiend from the deepest reaches of the universe, the first thing you'd obviously do would be to take him to a sushi joint for him to growl demonically, make apocolyptic predictions to the waitresses, and ultimately blow the place sky high), but as it's been said before, that's just part of the fun of it.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two truly rare gems: the original featurette on the making of the film, and the music video. Then my step-dad accidentally hit the record button on the VCR and erased the whole tape they were on. I've never recovered.

I liked the film up until the last half hour. Lea really nailed the title song, great beat.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true from what I have heard for years. You either love it or hate it. But come on you just gotta LOVE it!!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home