iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Over-rated or not? FOOTLOOSE, DIRTY DANCING & FLASHDANCE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Over-rated or not? FOOTLOOSE, DIRTY DANCING & FLASHDANCE
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I TRYED to watch FOOTLOOSE a few days ago and I can never get all the way through it. To me its just a stupid movie.
I feel that way about DIRTY DANCING and FLASHDANCE too.
Agree? Disagree?

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tobey
Master Rewinder
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tobey   Email Tobey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close your eyes, that'll get you through it.
Works for me.
Or just put on the soundtrack-album.
And Cut Loose!
[Wink]

Posts: 173 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plot lines are pretty boring.

Footloose actually has a kind of sad story line, so it is hard to get all happy about dancing, when you know kids were killed in the movie who were goofing around. I can not stand Lori Singer's part in the movie, she is such a pain in the butt, I could never understand why anyone would want her as their girlfriend, she was so mean.

Dirty Dancing was rather irritating too, I liked it when it came out, but I never liked Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze as a couple, her name being "baby"-that drove me crazy, it seems very insulting. Plus, they never seemed to connect to where Patrick Swayze ever really seemed like he ever really liked her, it seemed like he was annoyed with her all the way through it.

Flashdance-I thought Jennifer Beals character was a giant spoiled rotten brat-like when she throws the rock through the window-what a jerk, but I did like the music and the dancing, and the clothes, but whenever she had any acting scenes it was pretty annoying too.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never cared for Flashdance. I like Footloose, though. Out of all three, though, my favorite is Dirty Dancing. I can watch that movie 1,000 times and not be tired of it. I love Patrick Swayze and I thought that he and Jennifer Grey did a good job together. My favorite scene is when they are in the dance studio and that song comes on an they start pretending to sing it and that dorky guy comes in. Then, they have to pretend that he is just giving her dance lessons.
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked footloose and dirty dancing and flashdance is ok its good but not as good. a dance move you didnt mention was fame and i really liked fame
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a little shocked at my 80s buddies on this one. Footloose and Dirty Dancing are absolutely classics. I can't say that I could ever get into Flashdance though. Not quite sure why,just couldn't.

DD and Footloose are those kinds of dramatic films that didn't follow the typical teen movies of the 80s. Which in turn really made them not even seem like a teenage film. The music in all of the films mentioned is excellent.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Correct correct and correct.

All three of these movies just don't cut it. They did make a lot of money. Mostly on the actors that were in the movie. I didn't think these movies were great at all. Good to listen to the music. That is about all.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet Peaches i am with you 100%, i can watch anything with a certain amount of cheese but these films over stepped the cheddar line.

One good thing though, making Kevin Bacon a sex symbol gave hope to the rest of us uglys.

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha! That's funny cuz I thought that while watching it: What was Kevin Bacons sex appeal all about? I never saw him in a movie and decided I had to tap that a**!!!! LOL!!!
Just thought of another one: DESPERATLY SEEKING SUSAN. My husband watches that whennever its on and acts like its GONE WITH THE WIND. Now really...if Madonna WASNT in it would anybody still CARE????

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
Hahaha! That's funny cuz I thought that while watching it: ]

What? you thought about how ugly i was. Now that hurts Mama. [Wink]
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I my self love dance movies. I used to be a dancer ameture but a dancer none the less. I must say that Dirty Dancing was and is an ultimate classic 80's film and dance movie. But as for Footloose and Flashdance they are truely lacking in many ways neither of the films kept my interest until there was a dance sequence. I own all three and I fast forward to the dance scenes in Flashdance and Footloose but I always watch all of Dirty Dancing!! =) Plus both of the films didn't have the eye candy that Dirty Dancing did. Patrick Swazy is gorgeous. I agree with Mama why did people go gaga over Kevin Bacon. I have never found him attractive. The first thing I saw him in was Critters and ever since then I have found him rather creepy. So even when I did see him in Footloose I couldn't seperate my memory of him in Critters so he still creeped me out. And the lead in Flashdance wasn't much of a looker either. Micheal something? Well he wasn't cute. I guess I prefered the the hottie with the great bodies over the scrawny guys. I know I know I'm conceided but I can't help it! lol
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah and I also own Fame and that is a great dance movie as well much more enjoyable than Footloose or Flashdance. Like Rainbowbrite said Fame's a classic! [Big Grin]
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont remember Kev being in critters...you sure you dont mean Tremors??

BTW....I love dance films....but you guys havemade me question why....footloose, yeah brilliant soundtrack and dance sequences, but actually a pretty lame story line...same with flashdance...it's like the plot was thought of afterwards....Still love em though. Dirty dancing...different entirely...it is in almost a different genre, this is a flim with dancing in, where as the other two are dancing with films in....I hope that makes sense [Confused]

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canyoudigit.:
Sweet Peaches i am with you 100%, i can watch anything with a certain amount of cheese but these films over stepped the cheddar line.

One good thing though, making Kevin Bacon a sex symbol gave hope to the rest of us uglys.

Bacon and Cheese?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Canyoudigit(WARRIORS fan?) I was thinkin about Kevins ugly-ness. He's not really UGLY...he's just not ALL THAT. Johnny Depp and Kevin Bacon walk in a room and ...well do I even have to finish the sentance?

BACON AND CHEESE...AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh...and I do like FAME...cuz I think the charactors had more deepness in that. Thier storylines were more interesting.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought Kevin Bacon was a total sex symbol either, but since I got a bunch of flack over the Bowling for Soup dudes, I have to say that I'd take Kevin Bacon any day of the week, as opposed to any of the dudes out there in some of today's bands.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
Canyoudigit(WARRIORS fan?)

The word on the street is Canyoudigit has an ear for The Warriors action.

Be looking good Sweet Mama all the way back to Coney.

Addios boppers.

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
"CAN YOU DIG IIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT????!!!!"

I just bought THE WARRIORS ON DVD and havent had a special occasion yet to crack that sucker open! Maybe I'lkl watch it over the weekend.

TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
Critter, Tremors whatever it was still scary and Kevin Bacon scared me in it!!!! [Embarrassed]
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're tellin me....I saw tremors when I was about 13 and I couldn't walk on soft ground for about a month afterwards.......flamin graboids ruining my soft ground walking enjoyment....well I'll show them!!
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home