iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's presentation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's presentation
Savannah
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2845

- posted      Profile for Savannah   Email Savannah   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hellow, fellow rewinders! I need some help. In my film studies class, we have to give a presentation on something to do with film. Well, I decided to do movies from the 80's. I need some ideas on what to put in my presentation; ex. what made the 80's so great, what 80's movies were like, and also I need 3 movies to talk about. So, if you have any ideas for me, I'd be forever grateful! Thanks and remember, keep the 80's ALIVE! [Big Grin]
Posts: 60 | From: Louisa, Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I would have to choose the three best brat packer films in my opinion. Sixteen Candles, St. Elmo's Fire, and The Breakfast Club. There is so much to talk about and just the idea surrounding the brat pack is definately interesting. Thats my plug on the deal. I hope that this helps. Once ISIS reads this I am sure she will have some great ideas as well.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a presentation on "Valley Girl" as "Romeo & Juliet" of the 80s. You can discuss the Val Speak, the clothes, the music, and the romance that is totally tripendicular about the 80s.

You could dress in BRIGHT 80s clothes and make flip charts that relate the stories. You could discuss how people still think they live in the 80s. You could take Isis as an example of how too much 80s can make you a total Goof! [Razz]

Ok how about "Back To The Future I, II, & III" with regard to the irony that it revealed. Also, how much of the future of part 2 is really happening in today's society. The dangers of knowing your own future. The list goes on.

Another idea would be what did movies in the 80s teach us......good and bad. Maybe go to the 80s site and pick up some cheap movie stuff to give out as prizes to people that participate and give feedback at your presentation. Cool sticker or trading cards or something. [Big Grin]

[ 26. October 2004, 16:13: Message edited by: ValleyCat ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...good stuff...definately dress 80's. Taking in props is great...get a Rubik's Cube, a couple Smurfs and make some Strawberry Shortcake for dessert!!!

There are tons of food things you could do. Passing out a snack is a great idea, people will love you, especially if they didn't have any Breakfast (Club)....

Everyone who is anyone has seen the top 80's movies...

Sixteen Candles is great, if your Dad will let you take the porsche to school that day...that would be good too.

Talk about the whole symbolism of the collar up/ collar down deal, how it really let people know where you were coming from that night.

Talk about how fashion was such a huge priority to people, and that wearing designer jeans and having Jordache on your butt said so much about that time period.

The possibilities are endless!!!

Take in a CD player and play some 80's music!!!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Savannah
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2845

- posted      Profile for Savannah   Email Savannah   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen Sixteen Candles in a while so I don't know what you're talking about. If you can tell me what that symbolism is, I can definatley use it in my presentation! Thanks guys for the ideas, it really helped. If anyone has any more, keep sendin' them!
Posts: 60 | From: Louisa, Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the common symbolism in 80's teen movies is crossing the class divide.

If you look at examples such as Valley girl, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink...the common denominator is that the love stories all must cross a divide, much like the tales that Shakespear told that still can be empathised with in todays society.

In these instances, the class divide is exactly that...class (in a school sense) how much money you have, how popular you are, each film attempts to dispel the so called rules in schools.

This idea also works for 16 candles...she is in love with the popular boy, who goes out with the prom queen, he is very rich, she thinks she isnt good enough for him, running parralel to this is farmer ted (the leader of the geeks) being infatuated with her...another divide.

Hope this helps??

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another movie that you could use is "Can't Buy Me Love". Go to the scene where Ronnie gives his speech towards the end. Then think about how high school is so divided by so many different groups, and how when you become older the things you thought were so important in high school really don't matter anymore. Cool stuff!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the final speech/essay in the breakfast club...that pretty much sums it all up. The equivalent of every single character in the breakfast club, can be found in every other 80's teen movie. Basically what all of them are trying to say/teach is that you can never judge a book by its cover, and like Valley said....it's all so unimportant in the long run.

80's movies all have that certain optimism. [Smile]

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy

1.Breakfast Club

2.Blue Velvet

3.Repo Man

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Savannah
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2845

Ok, so the symbolism is if you wear your collar up, then you're popular, and if you wear your collar down you're not popular?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home