iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The borderliners: Films with an 80s spirit but released in 1979 and 1990

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The borderliners: Films with an 80s spirit but released in 1979 and 1990
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about this topic several times and it seems that several movies that weren't released in the 80s, but immediately preceding or following, still had an 80s spirit to them.

My suggestion is: Do you think there's a page that could be devoted to these kinds of movies? Examples:

1979:

-"Alien"
-"Apocolypse Now"
-"The Muppet Movie"
-"10"
-"The Warriors"
-"Star Trek: The Motion Picture"
-"Moonraker"
-"1941"
-"The Black Hole"
-"The Rose"
-"The Amityville Horror"
-"The Black Stallion"
-"All That Jazz"

1990:

-"Ghost"
-"Pretty Woman"
-"Dick Tracy"
-"Downtown"
-"GoodFellas"
-"Misery"
-"The Grifters"
-"Homr Alone"
-"Total Recall"
-"Edward Scissorhands"
-"The Witches"
-"Pump Up The Volume"

These movies have an 80s spirit to them, but they were made either preceding or immediately following our beloved decade.

So, would a sub-division on this site dedicated to these "borderliners" be a good idea or not?

Sincerely,

John "rocksteadyflamethrower" Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually John, both a 70's and a 90's sites are in the making. Our editor Nick is responsible for the design work of these sites, so I'm sure in his spare time he's been spending time working on those sites.However, it takes a long time to design a site, so give Nick some time! I'm sure they'll be fabulous when they are finished =)
Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd say that actually a couple years into the 90's they were still getting it right. "City Slickers", "Mr. Destiny", "Pump Up The Volume" (definite 80s-ish teen angst), "Backdraft" and so on. It took them several years before recapturing the fun of a goofy adventure with "Con Air", but aside from that I rarely see movies I like anymore.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady_Depp
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wished Pump Up The Volume was an 80's flick. I luv that movie~
| Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bridgette is right! We've got 70's and 90's in progress (you can see the 70s site work in progress @ 70s.fast-rewind.com )

But John's point is absolutely right. These movies are good examples of what we call 'honorary 80's movies' and there is a section on this site for these... look in the site features menu. It's been a bit neglected lately.

I was thinking that we could specify 70s and 90s movies as 'honorary 80s movies' in the site engine so that they could appear on the 80's site as well..?

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannie
Master Rewinder
Member # 260

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jeannie   Email Jeannie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a quick sqiz at the 70's site, it looks really good Nick, well dont that man, and you gotta love Logans run. Is there really any need for them to take their clothes off that often!?! hehehe!
Posts: 119 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannie
Master Rewinder
Member # 260

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jeannie   Email Jeannie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was s'poed to read well DONE that man! doh!
Posts: 119 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jeannie. Hopefully we'll get it launched soon and then get to the 90s too :))
Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys,

My idea on the Honorary 80's movies from 79 and 90 is that we shouldnt do it, basically because they AREN'T 80's movies. I love a lot of films from the 90s and 70s, but I think each page should be kept purely with movies from their own decade, otherwise it might get too confusing and the site wouldnt be an entirely 80s site or 90s site, or whatever decade it was.But thats just my opinion.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
Good point. I guess as it's all of us who are involved in doing it, it will probably end up being a kind of "Retro movies from an 80's child viewpoint" site -LOL

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home