iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The shining

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The shining
Patrick
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 424

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Patrick   Email Patrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that this is a great classic 80's movie. It is probably the scariest movie I've seen. (that includes 60's, 70's, 80;s and 90's.)Who else out there thinks it's really the scariest movie available for our viewing... If you know of movie(s) that are scarier than 'the Shining' PLEASE let me know so I can seek it out. thanx!
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
tbird89
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1164

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tbird89   Email tbird89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shining is an awsome horror flick. The little twin girls bring chills to back even to this day. The Exorcist is said to be "...the scariest movie of all time," and it well could be. Eventhough it's an early 70's movie, the special effects are spectacular. If you have not seen the new version, with the deleted scenes, I suggest you do. Between The Shining and The Exorcist, I would have to say that The Shining is a better movie, but that's just my opinion.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
faustbos
Rewind Curious
Member # 765

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for faustbos   Author's Homepage   Email faustbos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wanting to pic the shining up on DVD. I don't remember much about it all, though everyone I know who has seen it says its very scarey. Another of Stephen Kings made for TV films gets under my skin, Salem's Lot. I wish it was a theatrical release, but it was made for TV. Still, vampires really freak me out still!.

I remember when I read the book, I read with my back to an open window. I just picked up the DVD but I sent it to my Brother's house so he can see if first. Can't wait until he sends it along!

Posts: 10 | From: Førresfjorden, Norway | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shining did have some creepily effective imagery, but for what brought out the spookiness of the film was that music score. That thing was hella eerie!

The Exorcist...well...yes, many freaky moments in the film, but a little too slow for me. Even The Shining at two and a half hours never bored me once.

I think a very scary experience for a first time viewer would be the first Nightmare on Elm Street. Craven really created a terrific atmosphere, and, again, the music was haunting. Every now and then I bump into someone who hasn't seen it and love showing them. At night, of course, and honestly, many ask if "we can finish this in the morning", hehe.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
bezthestud
Rewinder
Member # 611

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for bezthestud   Email bezthestud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did anyone see that dreadful update they did of the shining on channel 5 in the uk a few years ago...GOD it was criminal! people shouldnt be allowed to get their hands on such a thing. the original Shining grossed me out and put me off food for days with that woman in the bath...eeeeeeeeeeee! mingin!
Posts: 32 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched The Shining (1980) the other day. What a great and moody horror thriller with excellent cinematography and classic performances from Jack Nicholson and Scatman Crothers.
After the film i watched the documentary Making The Shining. Nice to see Nicholson preparing for his role and Kubrick seemed to be a little annoyed by the female star Shelley Duvall.
Crothers was very honored to be in the film and shed few tears.

I also watched the amazing documentary Room 237 (2012). In the film few Kubrick enthusiasts reveal hidden clues and hint at a bigger thematic oeuvre.
I strongly recommend this documentary if you´ve ever thought that there´s more than meets the eye in The Shining. Because there is [Wink]

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to look it up atomik! Wow some of those posts are from a long time ago long before I found this site.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Room 237 was absurd, a great laugh! [Smile]
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
I think that this is a great classic 80's movie. It is probably the scariest movie I've seen. (that includes 60's, 70's, 80;s and 90's.)Who else out there thinks it's really the scariest movie available for our viewing... If you know of movie(s) that are scarier than 'the Shining' PLEASE let me know so I can seek it out. thanx!

You're right. It's one of the best.

[ 04. March 2015, 23:00: Message edited by: Jakey V ]

Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to unleash The Chickening

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have some of what they're on!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'll have some of what they're on!
Seems like they're on spicy Southern fried chicken to me. And by the looks of this trailer... it's good...
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shining is definitely an iconic horror flick, and may actually be considered a late '70's film - it was probably filmed in '79, but was released in 1980.

Very iconic & creepy imagery re: the two creepy ghost twins in the hotel corridor, the other dead people, etc.

The novel by Stephen King was also great, and definitely better than the film - even though the film was excellent.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting ready to read the sequel to "The Shining", called "Doctor Sleep". I don't know how much it has to do with the first one, or if branding it a sequel is just to get people to read it. I'll find out.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home