iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » TAPS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TAPS
Jeannie
Master Rewinder
Member # 260

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jeannie   Email Jeannie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I have a copy of TAPS starring Tom Cruise, about a group of young soldiers, coming of age etc. It's not one of the best 80's films, but it's worth a watch. But can anyone tell me what T.A.P.S stands for?? It never explains in the film, and it's bugged the hell out of me for ages!!
Posts: 119 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaBanana
Rewinder
Member # 41

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnnaBanana   Email AnnaBanana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't stand for anything...they are referring to the bugle call called 'taps' that was originally written during the Civil War to honor soldiers lost in battle.
Posts: 36 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeannie
Master Rewinder
Member # 260

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Jeannie   Email Jeannie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cheers that's been bugging me for years!!! Thought it might be a regimental thing, but what I know about soldier you could fit on the back of a stamp! Thanks again!
Posts: 119 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaBanana
Rewinder
Member # 41

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for AnnaBanana   Email AnnaBanana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome! :)
Posts: 36 | From: Northern California | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the subject matter of the movie but to me, the movie itself was just bland/blaaaaaahish in nature. Just my 2 cents worth though...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved this movie. I have it in my DVD collection too. I thought it was an outstanding cast, especially Timothy Hutton! My favorite scene is when the committe that is shutting down the school goes into the armory to inventory the weapons and all the kids are up on that catwalk pointing the M-16s at them.
And the scene when Tom Cruise just goes psycho up in the window with that M-60 machine gun was awesome.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that movie. They have been showing the widescreen version of it on FMC. I plan on recording it the next time it comes on.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AnnaBanana [Smile]

Anyway, i watched Taps (1981) and liked it.
Very good acting from the youngsters (Hutton, Cruise, Penn etc.)
and the seniors (George C. Scott, Ronny Cox etc.)

The director Harold Becker did six movies in the 80s
and i think that he´s underrated.
Taps, Vision Quest, The Big Town, The Boost and Sea of Love are all good movies.
I haven´t seen romantic comedy The Black Marble (1980)

Taps starts a little bit slowly but it will grab your attention.
This was Sean Penn´s first movie role and i read that
more than 2000 actors auditioned for his role!

All in all, it was awesome to see all these young actors in this pretty strong military drama.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home