iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Weird Science (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Weird Science
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by materialgirl347:
Speaking as a 15 year old girl i agree that not all teenagers today are perfect little angels like im sure they were in your generation. I was so offended when i read these posts that say we're all lazy clueless chain smokers that dont respect our parents and have no taste in movies or music. What do you know a handful of teens like this? I would rather be a teenager like you described than a prejudgus old woman like yourself.

I don't think todays teens are any different know then when I was a kid (I'm 39) some of us were lazy, some of us smoked, most of us drank, we all swore and at one time or another we were all disrespectful to our parents. I feel all thats changed is the pop culture and society in general. But kids will always be kids.
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

A bit too much bickering, but from the midway point of view, as someone who is somewhat old school at 28, but teaches kids that are 14-18, Sam is right. Kids are kids, I honestly think that in the academic point of view their ability to retain anything for more than 24 hours is non existent, but... that's not what I was going to go into. I try to keep things short and sweet. I don't necessarily agree with my dear Isis, but I do see where she is coming from. I unfortunately think that there is no utopia out there. Every place has it's smokers, drinkers, etc. but the important things to know that not everyone lived the life that you (anyone who is reading this) lived. As a matter of fact the biggest thing that I had to learn when I became a teacher was that everyone in the class doesn't want to learn, and when you are in honors classes your whole life, you think that this is an impossibility.

Sorry for the rant, teens are teens, I teach them, and as for the changes, the 80's teen in the movies was a watered down version of what they were supposed to be then. Maybe writers don't want to tell stories that don't have a happy ending, I don't know.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't going to reply to these posts, but as usual, I am totally disregarding my submissive side. Isis, we have had many converstaions about this sort of thing before, and in the end we just always agreed to disagree. However, while reading these posts today I was thoroughly irritated. As most of you already know, I am a 16 year old girl. And yes, I do drink, and yes, I have cursed(big shocker), and I have been outrageously disrespectful to my parents before, but(as mentioned before) I am an honors student, I am incredibly social, and I like to think that I am very worldly(further proven by your constant narrow minded posts). You can't label anybody as good or bad, black or white. Furhtermore who the hell are you to say what is right and wrong, what is status quo and what isn't. How dare you judge anybody. I can't understand how some people can put themselves so high up on their own personal pedastool that fogs out reality and somehow gives them liscence to determine how people should and shouldn't be. I mean, just because I curse and occasionaly drink on the weekends and don't always respect my elders...does that really make me a bad person? Trust me on this, I'm not the exception, you are. I don't think I have ever talked to anybody who was so offened and shocked by the smallest of things. At first it was just annoying, then it was refreshing, and now I'm just simply irritated. I truly am not trying to be cruel and I don't want you to think that is a direct attack on your character or opinions, but I did need to vent. I hope you read this post and not take it offensively(which I understand, may be hard to do) but that I have somehow provided you with a more open minded outlook on this. Once again, not trying to discriminate, just trying to educate....

Tootles! [Eek!]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do know one thing. I believe it's harder being a kid now then when i was growing up. When I was a kid most families only had the father that worked so the mother was always there to watch the kids. But nowdays most families need both parentsto work in order to make ends meet. Also the divorce rate keeps going higher so theres too many one parent households. But all in all I still think kids are pretty much the same now then they were when I was growing up.
Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shouldn't even respond to this thread anymore. I mean it is Xmas eve, and the ones that think I am an old woman, and River specifically, you guys get so defensive, and I am talking about the teenagers around me, where I leave, and my friends kids, and how they talk, and you know I am so glad you wrote what you did, because you proved my point exactly. And I am glad River, that you find disrespecting your parents and under aged drinking to balance out with being a honor student. Why is that? Why do you think your parents deserve that? I don't think every teenager is a bad person, I never said that, and I specifically said that wasn't what I was saying. But, in comparison to how teens used to be, to now..it just keeps going down hill. You don't have to be a teacher or be aroundteens every day, to see it in the stores, or in your own home from your friends children...it is evrywhere. You know you act like you have every right to say whatever you want, and great..there are things that you have said (River) in other posts on here, that I found offensive, and I just stayed away from those topics. I think the way society is ....has a huge factor in what is portrayed in the movies and the media, and the music out there, and it is very relavant to this discussion board. But, I am talking in general about stuff, but the ones that take it personal, it must have hit a major nerve, and hit close to home.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...and as for the smoking and drinking....which I have always thought was so stupid, no matter what age I was...but I wasn't putting people down for doing it...If I did..then I am putting my own mother and father down, and my Aunt-who died of a brain aneurysm, as a result of smoking. It is a shame that people don't learn when there is all this education out there on the health hazards,and yet people still think they are being "cool" or explain to me what the reason is for doing something you know can kill you? I feel bad for anyone who is addicted to nicotine, it is a harder habit they say to quit than heroin. So, I am sure there are alot of people that wish they never would have started, so it makes me ill to see young kids, getting hooked on something, because nobody was there to tell them what they are in for, and for them to care at all about their life.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh, and Merry Christmas.
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again Isis, I think we should just agree to disagree....again. I should have just kept my mouth shut in the spirit of Christmas. Despite what anyone thinks, I hate bickering, it really gets old and is a total mood killer. i apologize Isis, I really didn't want to put you in a sour mood, I was just venting. As for everyone else, I am very sorry to all of you who have to continuously read this ongoing squabbling. It's almost a new year, lets wipe the slate clean, and just stay away form those subjects that rub us the wrong way...

Meery Christams and Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home