iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie Series - which ones stand alone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie Series - which ones stand alone?
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, been thinking about this one for a few days, since seeing Matrix Revolutions.

Of all the 'great' movie series (Indy, Star Wars, Star Trek, Matrix, LOTR, etc) which of them do you prefer, and most importantly, why?

For me, I like the Trek movies and the Indiana Jones trilogy, mainly because they are linked story-wise, but can be viewed individually without detracting some enjoyment or understanding. I dislike the Matrix movies, because they just don't stand on their own, no matter how good the whole is.

Thoughts?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Godfather...oh wait 3 sucked. Nevermind.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Here I go,

My favorite series is...

Honestly, Friday the 13th, even part 5.

Death, random teens getting killed while having sex, death, a hockey mask

The formula for success, also it was just a lot of fun to watch them.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Back to the Future set
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original Matrix will forever be a modern sci-fi classic irrespective of the dumbass sequels (perhpas if they'd taken half of Reloaded and spliced it with an hour of Revolutions things would've been better.

Other than that, like Ali with an i, I'd say 'The Godfather' triolgy (III was good had it not been for Sofia Coppola---though it must've been a little hard for a novice to step in for Winnona Ryder at such short notice).

I still love the Batman saga (Batman Forever being my fave...hell, even Batman and Robin has become somewhat of a kitsch, albiet unwatchable, classic---all credit to George Clooney for having a sense of humour about it, personally, I blame Akiva Goldsman...

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the Future and Dirty Harry (up to Sudden Impact)

I can't believe you menition "The Matrix" in the same breath as "great. The Matrix is the highlight of everything thats bad in cinema today. [Frown]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goonie_girl
Master Rewinder
Member # 1530

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for goonie_girl   Email goonie_girl       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gotta say that i love the back to the future trilogy as well. i also liked sara: plain and tall.
Posts: 160 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sets that stand out are Friday the 13th, Police Academy, Star Wars, and Nightmare on Elm Street.
Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit
Master Rewinder
Member # 1904

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Email Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALIEN is another good one!!!
Posts: 317 | From: South East London England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobby Keller
Rewinder
Member # 2129

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bobby Keller   Author's Homepage   Email Bobby Keller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Star Wars, Indy and Back To The Future not too keen on the Matrix myself. Even though the 2nd and 3rd Karate Kid films were not as good as the first that's still a good series(4 doesn't count).
Posts: 43 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooooh Karate Kid! I love that movie! I agree with you Bobby, 2&3 weren't that good and 4 doesn't count! [Smile]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I am going to go out on a limb here and mention one that hasn't been listed: Lethal Weapon series. Even though the third one was the worst and the second one was the best. I also like BTTF and INDY, though it has been a long time since I have seen INDY. HE is even coming out with another one in 2005 I think.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Lethal Weapon 1 the best, I thought the second one was awful, cause I hated that girl they paired up with Mel Gibson, I was glad she died. She did not go with him at all. I could not even stand to watch 1 second of the Matrix, I don't get it, and nobody can attempt to try and make me understand it. Ick.

I like the first couple Rocky movies, and I like the first Rambo/First Blood.

I like both of the Terminator movies, but I could not bring myself to watch the 3rd one, what did anyone think of it who has seen it?

I like the Friday the 14th movies, to part 3.

I like all the Jaws movies- except 4.

I love the Halloween movies, to part 4.

I like the Star Wars movies, except the new ones-they don't count-they stink.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Friday the 13th....I know Devo, I goofed again.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
But, Saturday the 14th- that's a cool 80's movie!
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bahaha , that was funny isis.

i would have to agree that halloween series is great and my fave.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Indiana Jones trilogy! Back to the Future is great too, but I think the third one didn't have the magic of the first movie anymore.
Don't hate me, but I also love Rocky I-IV. [Razz]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I can't think of any sequence of movies that maintain their quality. For instance, Star Wars - ROTJ is bad. Watching the Indiana Jones trilogy again you notice that they get too jokey (sp?)as they go along (witness the use of Sallah and Marcus Brodie as comic relief in IJATLC). The Star Trek movies go downhill after 4 and the Rocky's after 3. The Alien sequence goes right down the pan after 2 and Terminator 3 is bad (Am I the only one who loathed the ending?)- I've nothing against a bunch of set pieces in search of a plot but at least make it involving. So let's see - where does that leave me. Therefore I nominate the BTTF trilogy as my winner. And that's because the movies exist in their own universe, are true to each other in spirit and plot. Oh, and they make me laugh.(Now all I have to do is contact Universal and get the 3rd replacement disks for the DVD box set).
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some cool films isis9968, totally agree with most of your choices. I love the 'Terminator' trilogy, you notice I said trilogy, meaning I do count 'T3', of course its not on a par with Cameron's first two but its pretty enjoyable nonetheless (and I'm pround to say that in some, small way I helped Arnold Shwarzenegger run for office [Wink] )

And as for the 'Matrix', I've gotta side with the Wachowskis on this one. isis9968, the 'Matrix', to me, is about control and manipulation of the masses by a dodgy system, its about your everyday life being controlled by those who would like to keep society at large in ignorance, and as for the sequels?...err I didn't get those either [Big Grin]

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't hate me, but I also love Rocky I-IV
How could you be hated for that [Big Grin]

They were awesome, I can still remember owning the soundtracks on vinyl. [Smile]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djcsuperstar
Master Rewinder
Member # 723

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for djcsuperstar   Author's Homepage   Email djcsuperstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mad Max series is my all time favorite. I love everyone of em' and so far they get better each time. Hopefully Mel Gibson will get over this mess with The Passion and suit up once again as Max Rockatansky for Fury Road.

A close second would have to be Goerge Romero's dead trilogy: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. -Dawn of the Dead being my favorite horror film.

Even though they get more and more hokey each time, I will always be up for a Rocky movie.

The Indiana Jones movies are pretty solid too, although Temple of Doom keeps it from being perfect.

Star Wars was great until episode 1 and 2 came along.

If the first two are any indication, and I would suspect it is, I think The Lord of the Rings trilogy is an amazing series.

Posts: 146 | From: Pluto | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home