iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80s arcade games (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 80s arcade games
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bamersy:
Pyro-

Are you from the US? I think we only had Splatterhouse (the first one) on a wonderful system called TurboGrafx. Looks like a remake is in the works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatterhouse

We were most familiar with Splatterhouse 2 & 3 for Sega Genesis.

yes, I live in the US. And to be totally honest, It doesn't suprise me that you never saw the original Splatterhouse Arcade machine..I only found it in obscure. typically privately owned, businesses. Though i had friends back east who said there were more of them there. It seemed pretty hard to find public places that actually had the game. I suppose it could be because of all the violence and gore in the game. Considering this was years before Mortal kombat, Splatterhouse was easily one of the most gruesome and bloody games around at that time. So no suprise that very few arcades worldwide would actually allow it to be in their establishment.
But yeah, most people I talk to never played it..but had the ones on Sega to play.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rememember the excitement when they opened the "big" mall in my area in the early 80's. They had the "Starcade" and I loved going there with friends to spend our allowance...after feathering our hair of course! There quite often as it was only a 10 minute walk from my house...always a rush to get home before dark, cause you had to walk through a graveyard. I think I was always "arcadely challenged", meaning I was never really good at most games, but loved all the classics, including pinball. I still have an Atari with approximately 30 games...Berzerker, Pacman, Space Invaders, Asteroids, ET, Missle Command, Frogger, etc...I still occasionally play a few rounds....kind of a "nostalgia injection"....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
I rememember the excitement when they opened the "big" mall in my area in the early 80's. They had the "Starcade" and I loved going there with friends to spend our allowance...after feathering our hair of course! There quite often as it was only a 10 minute walk from my house...always a rush to get home before dark, cause you had to walk through a graveyard. I think I was always "arcadely challenged", meaning I was never really good at most games, but loved all the classics, including pinball. I still have an Atari with approximately 30 games...Berzerker, Pacman, Space Invaders, Asteroids, ET, Missle Command, Frogger, etc...I still occasionally play a few rounds....kind of a "nostalgia injection"....

you stll have and play atari games....your a legend!!
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had an Atari up until a few years ago. ET was the worst game ever!
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify "still play Atari"...we're talkin' once or twice a year tops...but still nice to have the experience once in a while. And ET....still don't know how to play it!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
And ET....still don't know how to play it!

LOL
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Some of you might like the Angry Video Game Nerd who reviews some of the very bad video games that existed when we were younger.

We are DEVO

ET is the pits.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ET is the pits.

Most of that game was spent being in a pit! I think ET was the downfall of Atari. Didn't they go out of business shortly after?

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody remember a game called Phoenix. Always liked that one.
Found a PS2 game the other day for $4 called Atari Anthology. It has alot of games, some which are absolutely horrible but comes with some classics like Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, Crystal Castles and others. Was a blast playing those games again.

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

terdnthepoolggb i have an atari 2600 console(this is the version i have above)
in my bedroom and the game that is slotted into it at the moment is guess what?

-
- phoenix.

i have 24 atari games in total such as - pole position,solar fox,jungle hunt,moon patrol,dig gug,crystal castles,the smurfs,donkey kong,keystone capers,chopper command,millipede,popeye,ms pacman,etc.

-
atari 2600 featured some great games.

i still enjoy playing these games as much as i did many years ago,o.k i do spend most of my time playing games on the xbox 360 but my atari still gets quite a bit of playtime.

-

i also own a couple of plug n play controllers with the games built in,i have this one (above)with ms pacman,xevious,galaga,pole postion & mappy and i have another one with ghosts n goblins,1942 and commando on it.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WO!! That is wild TYW. Not only the fact that that game was in your 2600's slot but also that I posted that today and you just happened to be on here the same day to respond to it. Kinda freaky. How close are the 2600 games to the arcade games? Also is that plug n play any good?
Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's what i was thinking terdnthepoolggb,phoenix was one of the last atari 2600 games i purchased on ebay,it's a decent little game,i paid only 3 uk pounds for it so the equivalent of about 4.5 us dollars,so i'd say well worth it,it's more or less stayed in my console since i purchased it which was about 3 months ago.

the atari 2600 games mostly stay quite faithful to there arcade counterparts,the big differences normally being the superior graphics found on the arcade version and the other odd minor differences here and there.

-

http://youtu.be/goO53vh8L38 - namco ms pacman plug n play video review.

the plug n plays,well the 2 i have are in my oppinion well worth a purchase and i do recommend them,but only on the condition that you can pick them up cheap,i picked both of mine up online for a reasonable price but i do see some people out there trying to get top dollar for them at times.
the only downside to the plug n plays is neither of the 2 i own stores your highest score which is a bit of a bummer but apart from that they are both a lot of fun to play from time to time.

-

http://youtu.be/vad4qMkRAYs - the other one i own - capcom plug n play featuring 1942,commando and ghosts n goblins.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have an Atari 2600 to play when I was a wee one like most of my other friends had. Instead, I had my dad's Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer to play. But honestly, when I would go over to my friend's houses to play their Atari and I compared those games to the games on my Dad's Radio Shack computer. I didn't really see much of a difference between them. In fact, I think I found the games on my Dad's Tandy computer to be much better.

-
Radio Shack Tandy Color PC (Wiki)

Now since my dad was a big-time computer geek and hi tech wiz and he had a very good paying job in that field, he had access to quite an extensive library of games for this thing. I know he must have had at least 1,000+ games for it. He had both standard cartridge games, and also games he saved onto old 8" floppy disks.

Here's a good youtube video I found on it that happens to have pretty much the same exact set-up my father had. Even down to the old Canyon Climber game which I remember playing alot as well. [Cool]

-
Tandy TRS-80 Color PC/Canyon Climber Gameplay

[ 26. March 2013, 13:46: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home