iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 10 years to the day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 10 years to the day
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,
today is the 10 year anniversary of River's death. As many of you know, he overdosed outside of a club owned by Johnny Depp called the Viper Room(located on Sunset Strip). I regret never knowing of him while he still lived, but then again I was only 6 when he died. I recommend checking The River Phoenix Pages for anyone who is interested. There's a lot of cool stuff on that site. Anyone remember where they were when they heard? Just outta curiosity? I kno, I kno, I'm a bit obsessive. lol.

Tootles! [Frown]

RIP River

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hugs*

I was at home and was watching the news when I heard that River Phoenix has passed away. I was very saddened by this as I felt he was such a great actor for being so young. He was the only reason I watched the movie I love you to Death and his performance in Stand by Me will always be memorable.

I remember thinking he was such a talented young man with a lot of things going for him, I didnt understand why it was his time to go. But let there be people who carry on his memory and those of others who have gone on to leave this life plane we are on..lest we not forget.

I will check out the pages Hon.

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I didnt understand why it was his time to go
Without being too nasty I have no sympathy for anyone who dies of a result of taking drugs. They take up valuable medical time/resources as a result of their selfish immature behaviour. [Frown]
Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Without being too nasty I have no sympathy for anyone who dies of a result of taking drugs. They take up valuable medical time/resources as a result of their selfish immature behaviour. "

You know, I debated for about 30 minutes, trying to decide how to respond to this comment.

Yes people who take drugs are selfish, it has been proven. Numerous medical and mental health studies have been written on this fact alone. There are reasons why people take drugs, I personally think its linked to mental illness, but I can not prove that. I know my brother died when he was 16 years old of a gun shot wound to the head that was self inflicted. He took drugs, and we found out later in some of his medical records that doctors thought that he was manic/ depressive. I dont know if there is a correlation between the two, all I know is that he is not here anymore.

When someone is mourning a loss of life, you know the last thing they want to hear is how stupid the person was who died and how they are wasting valuable medical resources by dying.

I know that you have a right to your opinion just like everyone else does. I dont have anything else to say about the subject, Im sticking to what I said in response to River's post.

Even the dead deserve some respect. If you dont have any for them, dont lose any sleep over it darlin.

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah and my friends brother is currently on a life support machine in a coma due to heroin. He swindled £40,000 out of his mother who has recently died (brought on by an illness which many of their family belive was caused by stress and worry over her first born son). She did nothing wrong her whole life and now she is dead, he was a loser who found that he needed to stick a needle in his arm to get "high". Nobody forced him to take it the first time, obviously the addiction wasn't there then but he chose to. Now he's taking up a hospital bed and being kept alive by a machine in a health care system which is stretched to it's limits, a bed which could be put to better use but hey lets give it to a drugged up waster. Sweet. Drugs rule. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for clarification, I am the most anti drug human being on the face of the earth!!!! Just wanted to say that just in case some of you were wonderin. Concerning River's overdose, you must understand that River was always exposed to drugs. his parents were hippies who constantly used, and as a teenager in the movie industry this sorta thing is perfectly acceptable and even expected. i'm not saying it was the right thing to do, all I'm saying is that the situation is not completely black and white.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
Well, i am sorry to hear about your plight and you obviously have very strong feelings about your situation , only you could, being so close to it. I dont advocate drug use either, just was wondering what prompted you to respond the way you did..I see why now.

No hard feelings, drugs dont rule, people will still take them though. I dont know why but thats the way it is.

The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by noikz:
Without being too nasty I have no sympathy for anyone who dies of a result of taking drugs. They take up valuable medical time/resources as a result of their selfish immature behaviour. [Frown]

Does that extend to alcohol and cigarettes, or just the non-taxed drugs?
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goonie_girl
Master Rewinder
Member # 1530

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for goonie_girl   Email goonie_girl       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, it is sad. he seemed like a real cool guy. whenever my family watches stand by me, we're all always like, it's just too bad. i didn't know that his parents constantly used though. on the dvd of stand by me there is a commmentary where they talk about how the end of the movie is pretty creeping now looking back. rip river.
Posts: 160 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a sad day that was when he died. I remember that piece of news with a lot of shock, the kind of news that seemed too awful to be true. I had the same awful feeling when Kurt Cobain died not too long afterwards. I've heard different things about the substance abuse with River. I heard that for My own Private idaho, that role started to imitate life too much. Rodney Harvey, another promisiing actor in that movie also succumbed to an OD as well, and I think the Red Hot Chili peppers were in it too. Has Joaquin Phoenix ever talked in depth about River's death and the circumstances? Anyway, it's a shame he isn't making movies today.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
Based on what I've read and researched, River would live out his roles in his reality while filming...to make it more believable. During my Own Private Idaho was when he started heavily into heroin. River was good friends w/ Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers, and although they were into substance abuse aswell, I don't think that's the soul reason for his addictions. The entire Phoenix family has never spoken in depth to the public about his death. I have recorded several documentaries and the family's only comments are "we refuse to participate because we want to remember Rio as he was, not what became of him." Hope this answers some questions.

tootles! [Wink]

Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
Sometimes when life becomes too much you dont know how to deal with it. Everyone is different. I dont know why these things happen, I dont think any one does. Not everything everyone does is smart and intelligent, some times people do dumb things..they say that hindsight is 20/20..sometimes you get to see it, and sometimes you dont.

-

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think being famous has to be a tremendous pressure on anyone..we as the public take regular people off the street and make them larger than life. Then, we slam them through the gossip columns, and take their personal, private parts of their lives, and show it to the whole world. I think that is what is so screwed up about being famous. You can never win no matter what you do, either people love you or hate you-but you are pulled apart one way or another, and that has to be mentally stressing. If someone comes from a background of abuse, and has seen it their whole life, what else do they know, they are just human. I hate drugs, I have never been dumb enough to even smoke a cigarette..because I know what it will do to anyone..but if you feel badly about yourself, then you don't care about what you do to yourself. And like I have said before, you get 1 life, it is a shame when someone that had everything going for them, was so messed up emotionally, or mentally-that they couldn't appreciate all they had going for them, and their life is over now, and there is no going back. So, I figure everyone has the same amount of time in each day to make it count, and if you know of people with a drug problem, find out the reason why they feel the need to destroy the only life they are ever gonna get.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home