iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » O/T No Doubt's new song 80's remake (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: O/T No Doubt's new song 80's remake
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Cindy, I finally heard the No Doubt version of It's My Life. I must admit that I liked it, allot. I think they did a good job. I happen to like No Doubt anyway, met them back in 97 at a concert in Milwaukee.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's a rare thing for me to like cover songs, but I did enjoy this one. [Smile]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey deathbystereo and Ali...thanks for the love. I feel much better now...lol [Razz] .

So Ali, you met No Doubt? How were they? Nice?

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by StevenHW:
Cyndi Lauper did sing that "I Drove All Night" song, but Roy Oribson actually sang it first. His version appears on his "Mystery Girl" CD, which came out shortly after his death. But both of their versions are great!

Hey Steven, 'I drove all Night' by Cyndi Lauper came from the album 'A Night To Remember' 1989.
The version of Roy Orbison indeed came from his album 'Mystery Girl' but that was 1992.
You could still be right though, I don't know. But this is what I read on cyndilauper.com:

'I Drove All Night' notes

Cyndi said the song was written for Roy Orbison (who later recorded it), but he turned it down at that point. She wanted to do it because she liked the idea "of a woman driving, of a woman in control." She said she liked the unique concept.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that mariah Carey does a cover of a Def Lappard song. Someones goin to Hell for that.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
I heard that mariah Carey does a cover of a Def Lappard song. Someones goin to Hell for that.

You're kidding!!! You've got to be!!! Please!!!
Otherwise you've just ruined my day... [Eek!]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The info ruined my day, not you of course, Mammamiasweetpeaches! [Wink]
Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Mariah Carey did cover Def Leppard's "Bringing on the Heartbreak" on her last album. I actually saw the video for it once on VH-1.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the video for Big in Japan and had to have the song, so I downloaded it off of the internet. I am going to buy the album forever young soon, I want to hear more of Alphaville. I like Aztec Camera as well.
Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy- they were really great! They were so nice to me, they gave me free cds and autographs! It was so much fun, we hung out with them for like an hour.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the No Doubt video as well, not sure what to make of it. I heard they are releasing a whole album of covers. There's not many covers that I enjoy. Orgy's cover of New Order's Blue Monday was heavier than the original, but the original is so perfect it's hard to see why anyone else would attempt to cover it. Frente covered Bizarre Love Triangle, but did it differently with acoustic, which was nice. I liked the Cowboy Junkies version of Sweet Jane, made it their song. Would love to hear their version of the Cure's Seventeen Seconds as well. I think Sinead O'connor's version of Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U was better than the original.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlawill
Rewinder
Member # 1139

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for starlawill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huge no doubt fan here too. i actually really liked the cover. i can't stop listening to it.
about them releasing a bunch of covers, not totally positive but someone mentioned it on one of their message boards and i think it was just a rumor that was started. they are releasing a box set with alot of live stuff, singles and music videos but no covers.
can't stand celine dion so i felt quite sick when i heard her cover of i drove all night. ugh.

Posts: 48 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Marilyn Manson and his cover of Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams"? Another one that should be shot for that!

Altho there is a club mix of "Sweet Dreams" out there that was done in 1996 by a club band (I forgot the name) and it sounded pretty good!

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DJ Scott featuring Lorna B did a remake of Sweet Dreams and so did a group called C&A
Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a version of Sweet Dreams done by Miss kittina nd the Hacker on a compilation. Their debut album has a great 80's sound.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spyke65:
What about Marilyn Manson and his cover of Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams"? Another one that should be shot for that!

Eh,... I have to admit that it is about the only cover song I like. [Embarrassed] [Smile] In fact it's the only MM song I like...
I liked the original 'Eutythmics version' better, but then again, I try to look at them as two different songs.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
I don't like Marilyn Manson or any of their remakes. I think their cover of Tainted Love is the worst!
I used to fancy Molly Ringwald
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1884

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Email I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ali_with_an_i:
I don't like Marilyn Manson or any of their remakes. I think their cover of Tainted Love is the worst!

Yes Ali, your right again...That manson version is bad, to be honest the original isn`t a great song anyway!.
Posts: 67 | From: London,Uk | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaymi
Master Rewinder
Member # 1434

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jaymi   Email Jaymi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and what's REALLY funny is that Soft Cell covered that song, they did not write it. A lady during the 60's wrote it. I will try to remember her name....Carolyn somebody....
Posts: 348 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo wrote.....

quote:
the only remake that is better than the original is Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
You've obvoiusly never heard our version of Crazy Horses then.... [Big Grin]

As a drummer in an unashamed 'covers' band, some stuff is fun to do, and some stuff should be left well alone. Much of the 80s introduced an element of 'processing' to songs, so that they are actually very tough to play live and do justice to. We have to be very careful about the songs we cover, and those we do choose (like 'Dont Dream Its Over' and 'Love Shack', for example) we try to get as close to the original as we can, so that people recognise the elements of the original.

What I really hate is covers that make you hear the original, and the actual song sounds nothing like what you remember. Still, it's all fun to do. To see what we have decided to cover, take a look at our set list at The EOS Website.

Laters (still at work at 7:18pm [Frown] )

Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
I thought I heard that somewhere Jaymi. Let me know if you remember her name cuz I'm curious now!

As for the Soft Cell's version, I'm kinda sick of it because it's played so much on the radio here during retro lunch and 80s at 8.

I like it best when the long version is played at this 80s club I go to. The whole place gets up and sings together. It reminds me of a scene taken right out of an 80s flick. Now if I could get everybody to do the same dance..... [Big Grin]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally heard this song, I guess I don't get out much...cause I rarely listen to the radio, except when driving somewhere, and I guess I actually lucked out, cause I wasn't missing anything-as usual. Nobody can come up with anything new, so they heard a great song, that they know alot of kids now have never heard and they hurried up and did the exact same thing, and made a million dollars off it. Don't they deserve it- "no doubt"! Not!
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man...I just saw this video this morning for the first time...it was awful. It was so dumb, and just thrown together, without any reasoning, and the guy in the tub with toaster, and her and the fake tears, ick! That was dumb.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought No Doubt's cover was pretty good. And I have to say that Gwen Stefani is mad hot in my opinion. It isn't very often that a song comes out these days that I like. I'm not into rap or death metal and all that. I am glad that Al Green released a new CD. He's my fav singer. I also enjoy the new Matchbox 20 cd alot.
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home