iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Why do some DVDs not have the original movie logos on them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why do some DVDs not have the original movie logos on them?
tenohtwo
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1926

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tenohtwo   Author's Homepage   Email tenohtwo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a picky subject, to be sure, but why can't these companies release DVDs with either the original movie poster or the VHS cover (which was usually the poster)? A few examples would include Better Off Dead, Valley Girl, the High School Reunion edition of Breakfast Club, Weird Science (with the alternate images of Hall and Smith), and Bachelor Party.

My big gripe is with Bachelor Party. They use the poster image of the guys standing in the doorway of the room, but instead of the original ribbon logo, they slap this ugly, worse-than-comic-sans cheesball font on the cover? These alternate fonts cheapen the DVD covers, and make them look more bootleggish than anything.

I could've designed a better Bachelor Party DVD cover for Fox. Then again, anyone with Photoshop and the magic wand tool could do it too!

Just felt like whining this morning!
tenohtwo

Posts: 27 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I hated the new cover of Better Off Dead and Weird Science. Also, I love how the try to give some of the really older 80's movies a new look, such as The Last American Virgin. Have you seen it? There's a girl in a bikini with J. Lo glasses on the front. Ridiculous!!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NottoocoolJulie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1580

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for NottoocoolJulie   Email NottoocoolJulie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think the original artwork was long gone. I mean, I know in my line of work, when someone comes along 10 years later and says "do you guys still have our original band logo to use for the cover?" I look at them like they are nuts. Art Departments simply don't keep things archived very long, and I would imagine if they are archived on disk somewhere, the turn around of employees, studios, ad agencies and such is so abundant, it could never be found. You know? I mean, most likely, some of the key people that designed that stuff then, are probably at either different jobs or retired now.

Just a thought.

Posts: 59 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AdventuresInGooniesitting
Master Rewinder
Member # 1882

- posted      Profile for AdventuresInGooniesitting         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have two possible explinations. The first, is basically what Julie said. My other guess is that the companies are trying to modernize the covers to appeal to people who aren't familiar with these older movies. I know that's a bit of a slap in the face to us 80s movie fans, but the studios will do anything to sell more DVDs.

I agree that the new Weird Science DVD cover art looks ridiculous. Anthony Michael Hall looks like he's having a seizure or something [Eek!] Also, I was very disappointed when I saw the Three O'Clock High DVD cover art...it looks too bare. The "3 O'Clock" movie poster is one of my favorites, but on the DVD cover, they cut out the entire background, and it just looks way too sparse.

Posts: 269 | From: Dawson's Garage, I owe $5 | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenohtwo
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1926

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tenohtwo   Author's Homepage   Email tenohtwo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could understand the point about modernizing the covers for newer fans, I suppose. In regards to old logos and art, I built part of my Bachelor Party site by simply scanning in the LP soundtrack, isolating the logo, and cleaning it so that it could be used in different environments. There's really nothing modern about the cover except for the new title font. The Better Off Dead poster *was* a cartoonish poster, so maybe someone thought it looked too dated.

I suppose the same gripe could be made for 80s albums that get re-issued with new artwork, a la Depeche Mode and Cocteau Twins.

Jim

Posts: 27 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I found the old Better off Dead cover, I am looking for the poster of that to hang up if anyone knows where to get that.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home