iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I loved "I love the 80's strikes back", how about u? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I loved "I love the 80's strikes back", how about u?
Jaymi
Master Rewinder
Member # 1434

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jaymi   Email Jaymi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, aside from the commentaries by the actors or musicians who lived those times, I think the dialogues and commentaries SUCK!!! I would have more fun replaying my history without someone who was NOT there giving me a play-by-play...

Just my opinion of course....

The nerd segment is funny, "...the Donger knows..."

Posts: 348 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had to watch reruns of some of the episodes. i like seeing some of the old faces in there....but the ones i am seeing the most, hal, ian, etc ....majorly suck. i do like these people as actors, but as for this show, mostly everyone is getting on my nerves. [Roll Eyes]

i swear, it should have been us rewinders doing the show [Razz]

oh garsh, john mayer measuring his *beep* with the trapper keeper.... [Embarrassed]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all the comedians have been funny. MOst of the time they are being sarcastic, you know they love the 80s. They are making fun of themselves too.

I think the only person who seems to realy hate stuff is Juliette Lewis. I wanted to slap her when she made her comment about people from Wisconsin. No wonder Brad Pitt dumped her!

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got sick of the way they were doing everything too-I never watched 88-89, it started out really great..there were lots of things I remembered that I forgot- I loved those ribbon barrettes, they were cool! Oh, and the friendship bracelets. We did friendship pins-they were beaded safety pins, you stuck on your sneakers. I wish they would bring back the shoeslaces with different designs on them-they didn't have that on the show-but I remember them-, I had heart ones, but they had Pac-man shoes laces- anything you could think of, and kids would still love them. I think they should do an 80's line of clothing somewhere..I think alot of kids would go for it all over again. It was weird, at our Halloween party-people who didn't even know that I talk on here, and love the 80's-to the point of writing on here constantly- were talking about the Vh-1 show, and how they loved it, and now they are starting to watch 80 movies. I have my neighbors kids, getting in to them too. You can not get through life without seeing the Breakfast Club..there just is no way in my book you could be having much fun, or a very happy person..if you don't see some "good" comedies.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howard The Dusk kicks A-S-S! period.

"Grounded For Life" is really a great show. NOT!

"Ed" is also a wonderful series. NOT!

These guys can talk **** when their shows become something other than sucky.

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this version better than the first. Mainly because there is more music recognition and videos. So far I have only seen the mid eighties as I keep misssing it, but then again, they are going to run it for a while Im sure. I like seeing some of the older musicians and the actors from movies that I loved..(sorry I missed Jon Cryer), but then again he is on every Monday in his new show with Charlie Sheen on CBS. For me, the 80's were a time of rebirth. I had divorced my husband after having been in an abusive relationship and I raised my kids on my own during that time. We listened to the music of the day, watched vh1 and some mtv and tons and tons of movies and kid shows. My granddaughter is now "hooked" on care bears and loves her disney movies. My kids collect toys and memorabilia from that time and will tell you that it was definitely a time in their lives that they remember fondly. I am waiting to see if they are going to do one of the sixties now. You never know, they just might.. [Smile]
Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I respect the opinions of all of you about the people that might be trashing any of the things that you cherished in the 1980's. But if I wanted to watch a real documentary, I would be watching Biography or some channel like that. These people were put into the shows to give different views. I would have been one of those people if I was on the board if we all did it. I didn't like Beaches, I didn't wear LA Gear sneakers, I thought some of the songs and videos like "Heartbeat" by Don Johnson was horrible, and they had every right to be. If you don't like their humor in the first place, then I don't know what to tell you, but don't bash them for being honest, and don't worry, when it all comes back, I love the 90's or I Love the 2000's Ed or Grounded for Life might get bashed really badly. But try to understand that these people make the show what it is, and as serious as it is, is as comical as it already is. No one said that the truth was nice, even if it is their truth.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo-I understand what your saying, anyone who commented on the 80's is going to have a whole different view, because each person had a different experience, and I didn't think some things were that great either, but I don't like their "humor"-not their experiences, they talk like total pigs-when they talk about stuff, like that Donal Logue-he was just gross, and that made it to where I couldn't let my kid watch it. I swear there isn't a preview on tv for a show on now, that some kind of sexual joke isn't in the preview, I swear people don't think they can sell a product without sticking sex in there-even yogurt-I hate those commercials..and that has turned me off completely..I mean, like Where's the Beef? Had a sexual undertone to it, but it was done funny-to where it wasn't so right in your face, kids can't see it, ya know.. , like I was in blockbuster returning a game for my son the other night, and that movie with Cuba Gooding Jr. saying " Me Gay!, what makes you think I'm gay?... like my kid has no idea what gay means.. and that stuff is shoved in every single sitcom out there..I could care less if someone is gay or straight or what they do in their private life, but I don't need to hear about it..It has gone beyond being something that is "funny"..I don't find that humor funny, and it's like you got people freaking out that your being predjudice or screaming freedom of speech or whatever, but they don't think, kids don't need to deal with that stuff yet. Not in grade school, I don't care what anyone says. That is something that even teenagers are totally bombarded with, and people act like it's no big deal, but when you advertise sex, to children, no matter which way your doing it, what good could that possibily be doing to them, and so many parents could give a crap what their kid is tuned in to, and maybe it's my right to not expose my kid to things I don't want, but how many parents are like that for real? So, when I hear stuff like "what the f---" on Vh-1.. I think "what the f--- is that all about, and what the f--- does that need on there for?? Did they do that 15 years ago, no! I can't even imagine it being tolerated. If you want to run around saying the f word all day long, go for it, I just don't need that crap, and people have taken that choice from me-I feel like I am stuck having to listen to garbage, and no one else gives it 2 seconds of thought.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis,
I understand your views, and its admirable that you are so dedicated to your beliefs. Although, times change...people change. You say that it is totally ridiculous that the F-word and references to people of alternative lifestyles is shown on tv. But truthfully, to most of us kids, in this day and age, this stuff isn't anything new or shocking. Most of my friends and I learned about this stuff at an early age, which is perhaps why we are so openminded. We don't know any different which is why your ideas seem so quaint(not that that is a bad thing). You have to understand that no matter how much you think you're shielding your son from stuff on tv, he's hearing it 10 times worse and in person at school. Sad but true. There is nothing you can do but prepare him for what he's going to encounter in school. Perhaps, it is because I live in CA and people here are very relaxed and liberal. I dunno, but in my opinion, this stuff is part of our culture...a lot of our culture is based upon how far we can push the boundaries.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do have a point River, but I think we can be openminded without being vulger. Although nothing on this show offends me(with the exception of Juilette Lewis's Wisconsin comment [Razz] )this is being shown on VH1. As you know, VH1 is targeted at the more mature and adult crowd. It's not supposed to be like MTV.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you or anyone else is not mature. It's a known fact that the demographics VH1 seeks are older than the MTV audience. I think they should have toned it down a bit for fear of losing some of the audience they value so much.

Like I said before it hasn't bothered me really, but I can understand why it would others. I just hope VH1 doesn't get anymore like its braindead teen counterpart MTV. Thank God for VH1 classics.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I am a pretty open minded person, my motto is live and let live, and as long as someone isn't harmful to me, my family or the earth, then I could care less how they want to dress, how they live their life, I go by how people treat me. But, the media is a different story...it's like I don't want this taken the wrong way..but just like the whole "gay" thing in comedy amd all the sitcoms, I can not take that, because I don't find AIDS funny, or sexually tansmitted diseases, when your talking about being "gay"-that has nothing to do with anything, but who you choose to have sex with..and I don't need to know that..I don't need to know who anyone is having sex with, but yet people don't care anymore, they don't have any self esteem, -I am talking in general too-and I know people will say-they have self esteem, so I hope she isn't speaking for me, but I mean in general. I am talking late at night you see these ads for girls gone wild, and girls in college that are doing anything and everything sexually they can-to get on a video, I would be mortified, if someone approached me with a video camera, and said lift up your shirt..that isn't being close minded, that is have respect for my body-and for my family-and caring about what people think of me. I can not stand Howard Stern, and he is related to my Aunt's best friend, they are first cousin, and she knows him, and they just were in New York, and spent the weekend with him, but I can not go someone throwing bologna at someones butt-or making fun of someone who is mentally retarded, and exploiting them, and everyone watches that and thinks nothing of the people that are walking around on the streets with a tampon in their nose, cause they want breast implants. I can't believe that stuff is allowed on tv, and that people are willing to totally degrade themselves, in front of millions of people, for what? You change the channel, and there on MTV are people having sex on camera on the real world, or in a video, or in a yogurt commercial. I am totally freaked out by what kids have for toys now-they went from Strawberry Shortcake to the Bratz dolls- which look like little sleazes with lip implants, I mean if a little girl is playing with that doll, and thinking I want to look like her, that scares the heck out of me. Parents let there kids watch rated R movies, My own friends do it- I tell them not to all the time. I do shield my son from stuff, and I drive him to and from school so he isn't on the bus getting the crap beat out of him, or hearing the language I don't want him exposed to..I mean once you hear it, there is a part of your childhood then that is taken away with every thing that crosses you over to adulthood, and your childhood is the shortest time period in your life, and yet it sticks with you forever. So, I just think if this is where we are right now in society to where anything goes, where does it go from here, where will we be in 20 years from now? That is scary, and it is a fact.
OWLkaholic
Senior Rewinder
Member # 2027

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for OWLkaholic   Email OWLkaholic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody in here been to see Stella, Michael Ian Blacks comedy troop. Just found out he is coming to town on the 9th Im gonna have to check it out he cracks me up everytime on the show
Posts: 51 | From: The Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Isis you rock, but do you have the cliff notes version of that last post.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I can remember going over a friend of mine's house when I was 13 years old and sneaking george carlin's album, because we wanted to listen to "seven dirty words you cant say on tv", watching the door of her room, making sure her mother didnt catch us. I can remember listening to the radio and Pink Floyd's Money would come on and they would bleep out the line."do goody good bull****" But if you stayed up late at night and listen to the underground after hours radio, the dj's would play it in its entirety.

I have to agree with the fact that it is the era. The more shocking the better. the more people can get away with the more others will try.
I wish that things were not like that, but they are. I raised my children not to swear, but they still did,why? their friends did, it was funny, they heard it on tv or in movies. To me nothing is more vile than listening to little children in movies swearing like longshoreman, but I know it happens, cause I see it every day. Who do you blame?..who can you blame? is there anyone to blame?..probably, should we blame? probably not. To me the more stickers they put on album covers the more people will buy them to see what its all about. The more disclaimers you put on programming, the more people will tune in. Sex sells, smut sells, reality and lifestyles sell, plain and simple..if your album isnt selling, say that your gay and you get a whole new audience. If your popularity is waining, kiss a like sexed superstar and watch the ticket sales soar for your next concert..Of course there are those artists out there that dont compromise or sell out, but there are too many of them that do.

So, you have people like those that you see on Vh1 and they are saying what they are saying because they need the ratings..I guess, "who knows what evil comments lurk in the hearts of men?". I can only vouch for myself im afraid.

Oh and do I still listen to George Carlin? Of course, but I couldnt tell you what his seven dirty words are anymore..because I think he added about 10 more to the list. Ces't La Vie.

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or is Juliette Lewis hot these days? I keep seeing her on tv and its like damn!

Oh yea, sorry to everyone for the unnecessary outbursts in this thread earlier in the week. I was kind of mad at everything so I was being a smart-AZZ on here. my apologys. [Smile]

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
No Eddie my friend, its just you, trust me [Wink]

I really like her as an actress, but thats as far as it goes. Some one who shocked me was Samantha Fox. Sheesh, she didnt age well at all. Sorry for the slag, but home girl was looking pretty scary.

Hmm..I wonder if I can add this comment to a different thread..

RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need for apologies Eddie, just send money...

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i took a look at boy george and thought, WHOA [Eek!] , too much make there buddy.

you know i thought looked great? virginia madsen. she aged well [Smile] .

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RiverPhoenix4life:
No need for apologies Eddie, just send money...

Tootles! [Wink]

Thanks River. I knew you would understand. [Big Grin]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Eddie, I didn't take anything you said offensively, I thought you were right on track!

If that was offensive, then what am I ??

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home