iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Horror 80's Vs. Horror now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Horror 80's Vs. Horror now
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, like I don't think they will ever make another scary movie ever that will ever compare to the scary movies of the 80's. I barely ever rent movies ever, or go to the movies, but I broke down and rented Identity over the weekend. And at first I thought I might like it a little, I could not get it-the way they were filming that movie, where they stopped it in the middle of the film, then would go back in time, I hated that! It made it so weird, and you knew it was a movie, cause they were stopping the film, and rewinding stuff, and that doesn't happen for real, that happens in a movie, so from when they started doing that, it just lost me completely. Then I thought some of the scenes, were like too graphic, (you know what was coming, before it happened, so I wouldn't look). Rebecca DeMornay-what the heck happened, she had like no part-that was totally stupid- she said like 3 lines, and none of it made any sense. I totally understand how the end worked, but it made no sense what so ever, and was so unbeliveably dumb, and so inconcievable-that I was so mad. I mean, I was like trying to hang in there, and I did make it to the end, barely-I knew the killer wasn't going to be the obvious person, from watching scary movies for so long, it never is..so I thought I had it figured out, and my idea for how this should have played out and came together, was so much more believeable than what it ended up being, that I couldn't believe what they did with it. It made me so mad, because I like Ray Liotta and John Cusak, and that movie was awful. I wanted all of those people to get killed, because they were so stupid, and none of it made any sense at all, and they would tell you things these people had done to bring them there together, which thinking back, wasn't even possible. I can't stand trying to figure out a movie like that. I like being able to be scared and talk about an ending that totally surprised you, but not about something,that no matter how hard you try and figure it out, it will never ever make any sense. So, I was just wondering is it me...or does anyone else hate horror movies now? Does anyone think they make no sense what so ever, and they completely over do the graphics and the killing, and don't work on the story. It is like they throw all these scenes together, and hope you'll be so confused by the effects, you'll never follow it anyway, so they don't have to worry about what they are doing.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massiveretaliation
Master Rewinder
Member # 950

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for massiveretaliation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anything could top late '70s to early '80s horror movies, but I find there are still good ones being made. Just watched 'Wrong Turn', it was damn good. '28 Days Later' is coming out soon and that kicked *** (up until they go to the barracks).
Posts: 168 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, late 70s early 80s had some great horro films. I think it's really hard nowdays to be original or scary because it's all been done.

You should check out independent and or low budget horror movies of today. They are way better than the big budget crap the studios put out nowdays.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad that there are so many movies out there that I haven't seen, I just got Student Bodies today, cause I heard everyone saying about it on here, and Zapped Again, finally arrived...so I have stuff to watch. I got this old movie called SheBeast with Barbara Steele, has anyone seen it, cause I know nothing about it, but it looks scary. I also got Grotesque, and I got it cause it was the last movie Donna Wilkes was in before she dropped off the face of the earth.

I don't care what anyone says, I am not watching a new movie unless someone offers me money..hahaha.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you watched Student Bodies yet? That's a great flick. It's totally funny. Zapped Again is entertaining in the normal 80s bad cheese kinda way.

Have fun watching your movies! [Cool]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dear isis, hehe you have made me feel so bad that i recommended identity to you [Frown] . i thought you would like it..my apologies. i have told TKO the same thing. he asked about it, and i figured since him and i are cusack fans...i think i told him to watch it. now, i wonder what he will think [Confused] . (sorry, C.B.)
well, i hope you like student bodies. it's hilarious.
*raises hand*..yep, horror movies are not what they were before. i love thrillers and suspense more than bloody gore. and thanks to you isis, i have a few in mind that i want to see. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, there's just something about 80's movies, especially 80's horror. How about Motel Hell, Splatter University, Creepshow, One Dark Night, American Werewolf in London, Return of the Living Dead, Poltergeist, Phantasm 2, and others that are classic 80's horror.

Far as today's horror films, I hardly pay attention. To be honest, I'd rather pay a few bucks to watch a rerun of a good 80's flick than the stuff that is put out today. I think the drop off in quality is due to too many people in the industry and big movie companies that are just out to make a buck. [Frown]

Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be all right Ronnie. [Wink]
I haven’t seen ‘Identity’ yet, but I WILL, anyway. Good or bad.
I couldn’t call myself a Cusack fan otherwise qt.

But I agree,
they don’t make em like they used too. Jee, I sound like my father now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know if it falls under the category of horror, but I thought The Sixth Sense was really good! I liked how it left you with a logical explanation in the end. Oh, and same with The Others with Nicole Kidman!
Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I liked The Others alot too, and I did like What Lies Beneath, and I loved Joyride, but it is so few and far between seeing a good one, that it stinks.

Ronnie please don't feel bad, I was gonna rent it anyway, it really looked good from the previews, and I did make it through the whole thing, so that gives it some credit. I would have liked it better, if the end wasn't so totally off the wall unbelievable, and could never possibly happen, and the whole thing wasn't real..so how could you care if anyone died? It made no difference in the end, so that's what bothered me. I would like to see Rebecca DeMornay do a sequel to the Hand that Rocks the Cradle, that is where they should put her. I like Ray Liotta and John Cusak's part-but their character made no sense-in the end..it was so weird. But, don't feel bad, because you like everything musically and with movies, that is the same as me, and we complete each others sentences, so we think alike! So, don't be afraid to recommend something else to me. [Wink]

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh..I did start watching Student Bodies yesterday, but I am so freaked out doing my Halloween party stuff, so if no one hears from me for days, I probably had a nervous break down, over the party, but it will all be over soon. Anyway...it was so hilarious..I can't believe I have never seen it, I am dying to watch the whole thing, cause I kept missing pieces of it..it would be a great party movie, and watching it. made me think..they copied Scary Movie-(which I hated) from that...since kids probably never heard of it, they thought who'd know.
tenohtwo
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1926

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tenohtwo   Author's Homepage   Email tenohtwo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who can forget "Chopping Mall", with such classic dialogue as this:

"I guess I'm just not used to being chased around a mall, in the middle of the night, by killer robots."

Posts: 27 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont really consider Identity a horror flick as to me it is more suspenseful and its a thinker. Its making you think the whole time your watching it. I liked it because of the fact that here is this person who had multiple personalities and each personality had its own seperate life. I am going to see it again, because I know I missed something as the clues to who it was tended to be a bit subtle. Yes I am a John Cusack fan, but there are movies he is in that I wont see as well.

Horror films have come a long way and the people that make them are up against one of the most difficult jobs of trying to scare an audience that has seen everything. The need to be original and creative is out there I know it is, I am sorry that this movie was not your cup of tea. But thats what makes us all individuals, eventually we find what we like. [Smile]

Ps. I will watch Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi any day in a horror movie. The art of scaring someone without really trying..where have the times gone.

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlawill
Rewinder
Member # 1139

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for starlawill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i miss getting scared by movies like i used to. although, i think i'm scarred a bit from american werewolf in london. i don't remember much from the movie except the scene where he gets attacked and he's wearing that red coat. that gave me nightmares. i actually haven't seen it since i was little. i'm too afraid to! those images just flash in my mind and i get a very sick feeling. my husband tivo'd it though so i'm gonna be brave and watch it for halloween.
has anyone seen the new texas chainsaw massacre? and if so, how was it? i've heard from some it was good.

Posts: 48 | From: new york | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
See I think with something being scary-it has to be believable, and something that could really happen. Identity was so far out there, that who cared, it made no sense..I understood those people were all the same guy, and he had to illiminate all the ones that were capable of killing someone, so that the only personality left was the one that wasn't capable of killing anyone, so they could spare him from the death penalty..But, I believe every person has different personalities within them and they aren't crazy- everyone acts different depending on who your with. That movie flipped all over the place, and I hatr when they would rewind a scene, and showed you what happened, right after something happened to lead up to that-I hated that. I think less is more, especially in scary movies, and it's what you don't see that is scary. People have seen it all, and that is what I have been trying to say all along on here, where do you go from here, I mean not even this year, but where in 5, 10-20 years will movies be, what is really left?
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see whats left..

they have done the people eating people bit.
werewolves turning into people and back again.
vampires, normal by day, vamps at night

Death by sex? if you masturbate too much you really do go blind? (can i say masterbate on here?)

I dont know where it will go from here. There is nothing new under the sun. People will always be people, some are hard to please and others are not.

If you didnt like Identity, dont watch Pulp Fiction...

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like some apects of the new age horror movie, but I think they overdose now on the special effects. I seem to like these low budget early 80's creepy abandoned house scenarios than a gazillion stunts and buckets of blood.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Wow...that was weird to read.

I can not remember 1 thing about the movie Identity....if I wouldn't have read that-I would never have known I ever saw that movie. I remember nothing. That is too weird.

I remember every 80s horror movie I ever saw.

This post is almost 6 years old. Crazy!

C.Rod
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 7657

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for C.Rod   Email C.Rod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if the special effects from now were available back in the 80's the horror movies would have been alot scarier. Don't get me wrong, I still get the creeps when i watch poltergeist II the other side. Good movie though
Posts: 23 | From: Hartford, Ct | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Wow...that was weird to read.

I can not remember 1 thing about the movie Identity....if I wouldn't have read that-I would never have known I ever saw that movie. I remember nothing. That is too weird.

I remember every 80s horror movie I ever saw.

This post is almost 6 years old. Crazy!

We have been around for a long time.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I think they were scarier back then...honestly...I did not think the new My Bloody Valentine was scary at all....I could predict every single thing that was going to happen- especially the end...and I wasn't scared by any of it....I thought what a joke- there is a scene where a girl's head gets cut off right above her jaw with a shovel-it was so cheesey because you can tell it was a CGI. They actually used real props and real effects back in the 80s. That scene in Friday the 13th where Kevin Bacon gets the knife through his neck from under the bed- that gives me the creeps...just the hand coming up from under the bed, and grabbing him, and the look on his face- that's scary to me.

I use to worry about people being under my bed all the time.

I was terrified over the Shining. I think it was because of the setting, because of how well the movie was acted by Jack Nicholson...

Today they focus on the effects and not the story line.

The storyline in My Bloody Valentine- was ....hmm....there was none.

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think horror films are any better or any worse now than they were in the 80's. The pre-80's stuff was awesome though..and of course the good old Black & White movies are classics.

Since American film makers have been remaking all these old Japanese Horror movies...it's made me check out a few of them. And I think I'm liking the original Japanese horror movies better than anything else nowadays. Some of the best I've seen so far would be: Oldboy, Lady Vengeance, Marebito, Ringu, Audition, The Ghost of Mae Nak....

and if you really wanna see some japanese GORE Horror at it's best...check out Ichi The Killer or Sick Nurses.

[ 30. January 2009, 06:23: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Jack Burton
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4673

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mr. Jack Burton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow. What a pathetic fight this would be!
Lets put it in boxing terms..

Horror 80's = Rocky Marciano(great but not quiet Ali)
Horror 00's = Tommy Morrison(awful, just awful)

Horror 70's = Muhammad Ali(The Greatest)

Posts: 1069 | From: Dragon of the Black Pool Restaurant, Chinatown. | Registered: Mar 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the country's atmosphere in general helped contribute to the success of horror in the 70s and part of the 80s. With ramped up nuclear war tensions, lengthy and painful recessions, energy woes, and a general feeling the world was slipping out of our grasp--not all that dissimilar from today--there was a general unease that a good horror master could take advantage of. Indeed, one can easily see the Shark, Michael Myers, the demon possessing Reagan, and other classic boogeyentities as metaphors for those troubled times. As things have gotten better, people have gotten more relaxed, and thus it takes a little more to get them out of their comfort zones. At least that's how I interpret it.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home