iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » How'd you talk in the 80s? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How'd you talk in the 80s?
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It varied from year to year. Dude, rad, fresh, totally, cool, whats up, barf, gross, bogus, and others. My friends and I used to just play with words and make up stuff like beez play, or uck fay oo yay, and other weird kid stuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still say bogus! My friends always make fun of me but I just can't help it. It just comes out of my mouth whenever I'm angry. I used to make fun of my Hippie uncle for saying "groovy" all the time. I guess things never change.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikie-that is pig latin.

Does anyone else remember talking pig latin? We did it in grade school. We also would write notes to each other, and made code keys up, and then you could pass secret notes to each other, and if someone else got them ,t ehy wouldn't be able to read them. We also would call each other by our name spelled backwards, some people had hilarious names that way.

I always still say "Like, you know" all the time, and I say duh! alot...

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit:
...If something was good it was 'REEM'

How cool being that Reem happens to be my last name.

I think I just passed GO and collected $200

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatmeiser
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2136

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for heatmeiser   Author's Homepage   Email heatmeiser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some new ones as well as corrections of others above.

Poser: Someone who who pretended to be a skater
but mostly carried their board around to
look cool. They could be spotted because
their boards weren't dinged up.

Gnarly: Somethin' that was cool. As in "That
Chevy Nova is totally Gnarly."

Bitchin: See Gnarly.

Bogart: To hog something or not share. As in
Dude! don't bogart the bong."

Skank: Gross or ugly. As in "That chick is a
total skank."

Smegma: also used as smeg or smeghead.
A cheesey substance that develops on
on uncircumcised men's privates
when they do not bathe regularly.
It's was pretty bad to be called that.

Wannabe: Basically a poser but usually associated
with someone who was trying to cross
racial lines. A white guy trying to be
black or mexican. "That dude is a total
wannabe."

Heinous: Hard or difficult. As in "That math
test was totally heinous."

Tripindicular: Very, very, very cool! "That new
video game is totally tripindicular."

I'll add more if I can think of any.

Heatmeiser

Posts: 16 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sias101
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 2135

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for sias101   Author's Homepage   Email sias101   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, I still say "dude" and "like"... or "whoa". How bout that..."candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth" ... "yeah, but M&M's won't give you aids..."
Posts: 13 | From: Brazil | Registered: Nov 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit
Master Rewinder
Member # 1904

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Email Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam Hain 2 Mr Reem... That is preety Reem... You may collect $200.
Posts: 317 | From: South East London England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned Pig Latin from watching The Three Stooges. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tonight i got a dose of the new language. My brothers hockey team for example, some of them were saying yo, that's sick. I guess sick has replaced gnarly or radical. Times change.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have a friend who uses sick to describe stuff, too. Like, he would say, "The guy probably makes sick money doing that" or he will also say someone has a "grip" meaning a lot of something, as in a "grip" o' cash.

I think my kid phrases, some of which I still use, were mostly covered here already, except a few. If someone got proven wrong on something, we would say they got "moded" or "faced" I have no idea where it came from. And we called skanky girls "skaggs". Again, no clue.

And we talked, like, a thousand miles an hour. And I used to start every sentence with the word "okay". It used to drive my dad nuts! He locked me in my room with him and wouldn't let me out until I started a sentence without saying "okay" first. It was hard! I was in there with him for like, two hours!

Missie

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home