iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Hey Devo..name this tune....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey Devo..name this tune....
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a song I love, and I don't have it, it's older, from probably the 80's, and I don't know who sings it, I only know the chorus, which is probably the name of the song, cause they sing it over and over, but it would be so common, if I tried to look for it, so I thought you might be able to help me, thanks.

All I know is:
It goes...In the City, uh-huh, In the City...

and they sing In the City over and over.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Samurai Sweetie   Author's Homepage   Email Samurai Sweetie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only song that comes to mind, in fact, the minute I read your lyric excerpt, this song popped in my head.

"Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Poplock"
Originally released in 1982

And though I don't know if it's the song you are referring to, I had to mention it 'cause it's one of those dastardly songs that STAYS in your head, or at least mine when someone brings up anything remotely related to it [Big Grin] , also, the chorus has "in the city...", over and over, and over, and over, and... AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! [Confused] [Mad]

*stops to take a breath*

Posts: 186 | From: Lookout Mountain Road | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Isis, It could be a couple of songs.

I live in the City, I forget who sings it.

Hot in the City, Billy Idol. But I think you would know that immediately.

Can you give me more on the song?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not I live in the city, and I would know Hot in the City-I love Billy Idol. It sounds sort of like a band singing. All I know is I can't get it out of my head, maybe the song Samurai Sweetie says, is right. But, that does not sound right, but it probably is a title that has nothing to do with the chorus, and that's why I can't find it.
I just heard it a couple of days ago too, and I swear every time I wait to see if they name the title,and artist they never do. It just does that In the City, uh-huh, in the city uh-huh.....ugh!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roundpeg
Rewinder
Member # 1960

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Roundpeg   Email Roundpeg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking it may be a song called Big City. It was in Ferris Bueller's Day off, when they were driving in the Ferrari into the city. I always thought they said "In The City", too. But it goes "Big City, ooh-ooh." I don't know, just a thought. You would probably know that one, though.
Posts: 37 | From: Grew up in Florida (Go Dolphins!) Live in Germany | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Samurai Sweetie   Author's Homepage   Email Samurai Sweetie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they are playing it on the radio, why not call the DJ and ask what it is, I'm sure they know what they are playing [Wink] , oh, I hope it's not the song I mentioned. [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 186 | From: Lookout Mountain Road | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Because, I switch radio stations continuously, and never even know the name of the station I am listening to, let alone their phone number. So, that would never work, or I would do that.
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
Hmm, ok then, lemme think.

What kind of song was it?

Dance/Pop, Rock, Hip Hop(not that crap they play on the radio nowadays), etc.?

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I would label it soft rock/ easy listening maybe???
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh crap. isis, you are racking our brains here.

this is going to bug me, i hate being stumped errrrrr..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
Indeed, it's racking my brain now too [Confused] , and if you say it's Soft Rock/Easy Listening, then it isn't the song I suggested earlier, thank the Gods. [Big Grin] [Razz]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
why, what was wrong with the other song??If it had been that, it could ended the agony.
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
The song I suggested is sorta Pop/Dance/Hip Hop, I wouldn't really say it was Easy Listening, or any kind of Rock at that. [Big Grin]

I'll keep thinking though. [Smile]

sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could it be "In the City" by Joe Walsh and the Eagles?

It was from the movie "The Warriors" one of my all time favorites.

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

- posted      Profile for sam hain2   Email sam hain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these the lyrics?

" In The City "

Somewhere out there on that horizon
Out beyond the neon lights
I know there must be somethin' better
but there's nowhere else in sight
It's survival in the city
When you live from day to day
City streets don't have much pity
When you're down, that's where you'll stay
In the city, oh, oh.
In the city

I was born here in the city
With my back against the wall
Nothing grows, and life ain't very pretty
No one's there to catch you when you fall
Somewhere out on that horizon
Faraway from the neon sky
I know there must be somethin' better
And I can't stay another night
In the city, oh, oh.
In the city

Posts: 999 | From: Bismarck, ND | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
AAAAAAAAAH! That's it!!!!!! What is it??? tell me Tell me!!!!!
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

"In The City" by The Eagles

can be found on their CD "The Long Run" or off "The Warriors" soundtrack.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thank-you. No wonder they sounded like a band, I love the Eagles......I am going to go find it this weekend! I thought I might have to sell my sole to the devil, to get the name of it!! Hehehe.Thank-you. That is absolutely the song, cause I have been singing those lyrics in my head all night, and I couldn't think of any other words before!
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
Good job Sam [Smile]

Great movie btw, I have it on DVD [Cool]

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Can yooooooooou diiiiiggg it?

We are Cyrus, I mean DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam hain2
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1964

We're going to get Japped!!!

The Chicks are packed!!!!

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Thanks Sam!! I bought the CD last night at Wal-Mart-it was the only one they had. The singer, was Joe Walsh, and I think the reason I never realized it was the Eagles, was because I only recognize Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmidt, and Glenn Fry's voices. I am so glad to have it, now I can listen to it, while I clean my house! haha. It also has the song-I can't tell you why, which is another great Eagles song.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home