iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Most memorable 80's sitcom moment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most memorable 80's sitcom moment
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 80's gave us a lot of great sitcoms some of which can still be seen on television today. What is your most memorable moment from your favorite sitcom. I will list a few to get you started with a list of some sitcoms:

Golden Girls
Family Ties
Cosby Show
Cheers
Benson
Taxi
Soap
The Jeffersons
All in the Family
One Day at A Time
Kate & Allie
Night Court
The Wonder Years
Murphy Brown
Too Close for Comfort
Alice
Newhart
Perfect Strangers
Who's the Boss
Growing Pains
Amen

These are just a few to think about.

I have so many favorites I can't pinpoint just one. But I will try. The ending of Family Ties was very sad.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I have long discussed that the last episode of Family Ties was one of the greatest endings to a show that I have ever seen. When they all came out to the studio audience and bowed, something I will remember forever.

If you want my most memorable one though, it is by far the funniest of all Cosby Show episodes, the one where it is Rudy's birthday and he is giving a ride to all of the kids and then tries to give a ride on his knee to the really heavy kid.

I almost peed my pants.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was a big fan of the golden girls and the cosby show, but my favorite was facts of life. my most memorable episode was when the girls were staying up all night studying for their finals. they order pizza, have a pillow fight...tootie annoys natalie with her singing of kool & the gang's celebrate, everyone makes fun of natalie's blue hat with the huge, yellow lightening bolts.

i just thought of another episode, where they all decide that they can't live together anymore and want to separate. the girls are told to paint their room and they make the biggest mess and start painting each other and fighting..

aaaaaaaaahhhhh good times [Big Grin]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladyhawke
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1987

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ladyhawke   Email Ladyhawke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 6 years old and watching MTV and I saw Vyvian eating a rat. I was grossed out.

I still love The Young Ones to this day. [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: the Labyrinth | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For us UK-based folks, there is only really one answer to this one - it is an episode of a sitcom called 'Only Fools And Horses'. Please ask for background details if you overseas guys don't know this program.

But there's a scene where Del is in this 'trendy' wine bar, with wall-to-wall yuppies, and he's there flashing his filofax and steel briefcase, giving it all the patter. Then whilst he is eyeing up some girls that appear interested, and telling his dim friend Trigger to 'play it cool, play it cool', the barman lifts the counter-top up to go collect some glasses. Del casually leans back, and falls straight to the floor. His only response when he picks himself up? A very shaken 'drink up, Trigger, we're leaving!'

Even when you have seen it a hundred times, and you know what's coming, the result is the same. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to agree there with paulshrimpton, "Only Fools" is simply stunning and something that I grew up watching religiously.

The scene where they're supposed to be servicing the huge chandelier at the mansion was another classic moment from the trotters. [Smile]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be controversial with the UK gang, but I absolutely cannot stand BBC sitcoms. Awful, dreadful crap. Dad's Army, Fools & Horses, My Hero, Steptoe & Son. dire rubbish the lot of 'em!!
I sometimes get the impression that the BBC only cater for people over 70,'cos the jokes are so stale,predictable and flat.And they are repeated ALL the time.Not funny at all.The only BBC comedy I have found funny is The Office. Now I like Phoenix Nights,but thats CH4..!And give me CH4 on a Friday night anytime 'cos it's full of excellent US sitcoms like Friends,Scrubs,Will&Grace etc. Now they are funny shows.Really funny. The US knows how to do funny better than anyone else in my opinion [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noikz
Master Rewinder
Member # 1000

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for noikz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deary me what a thing to say [Razz]

Friends is good (I only got into it after my gf made me watch it).

I love The Office and Phoenix Nights but...

Stuff like Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and Horses, Some mothers do 'ave 'em, Red Dwarf, Men Behaving Badly, Bread etc etc will live on for years. Although I like The Office I can't imagine many people in 20-30 years time remembering it so fondly. [Wink]

[ 14. October 2003, 08:24: Message edited by: noikz ]

Posts: 239 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willman85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1215

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for willman85   Email willman85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never liked Will & Grace, Phoenix Nights, or Bread, but I sorta agree with both of you everywhere else. I think the peak of BBC comedies was in the 90s - One Foot In The Grave, Game On, Bottom, The Fast Show, Big Train (well, the first series) etc. Channel 4 did compete quite well though (Father Ted is pure genius!) Anyway, to get back to the topic, my most memorable 80s sitcom moment is where Jim in Taxi is taking the test; "what does the yellow light mean?", "(slow down)", "what... does... the... yellow... light mean..?", "(slow down!)" - classic!
Posts: 72 | From: Hertfordshire UK | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the '80s it would go to the Cosby Show. The Huxtables sing in tribute to their grandparents. Or Theo tries to impress a girlfriend but vanessa ruins his designer shirt.

Does General Hospital qualify as a sitcom? Luke and Laura get married.

Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tenohtwo
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1926

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for tenohtwo   Author's Homepage   Email tenohtwo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any episode of AfterM*A*S*H.....just kidding.

My mind is drawing a blank at the moment, but the episode of Cheers where Sam and Diane are engaged in a slap-fest was pretty hilarious.

I'm sure there's a great Night Court moment I'm forgetting, too.

tenohtwo

Posts: 27 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home