iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What's the Difference? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's the Difference?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is anyone suppose to understand any of that? There is no reasoning, no rationality about any of those events, there is nothing positive about them, they were horrific. The news has taken over everything, because people have gone off the deep end, and are more interesting, than anything that can be made up- not in a good way-but shocking, and that's what people look for. I guess it does depend on where you live, and what you've experienced yourself, with how you think things have changed. Yeah, I understand the whole line in the Breakfast Club, and some of that is probably true, the older you get the further you get away from understanding being young. But, none of those things- the old gansta rap, is like nothing compared to the stuff out now- it's like night and day. I never even saw that stuff, they didn't play that in the middle of the afternoon, on every other channel like they do now. When I was in school, girls didn't wear thongs with their whole rear end hanging out. Maybe mini skirts- but those aren't even comparable-to what kind of statement your making. It is completely different. If everyone on here didn't think that in some way-then they wouldn't like the 80's movies so much, we'd all have something better to replace it-if it were true, and there isn't, is there?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought about this topic alot today, and I keep wondering if kids/teenagers, do understand what 9-11 was about, and why those terrorists attacked the Trade Center of all places? They did it to hit the United States in the place that would hurt us the most-our finances/money. The countries the terrorists are from-some-(I don't think the majority-just a select few)-but that's all it takes-they think that we are so materialistic, and they look at the way we portray ourselves in the media, and music, and entertainment, this had everything to do with why we had that happen. Countries that have people starving and living in poverty and there are so many, they can not understand the "life" we live, because it is so indulgant. Even the poorest people in our country have food. Everyone wonders why this even happened, but to me it was only a matter of time for something like that. It also comes from what I said before about envy and jealousy. But, I don't know that we as a country did anything to explain why this happened, just that we showed it happening over and over and over.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CameronFrye05
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1937

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CameronFrye05   Email CameronFrye05   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with Isis on why we were attacked. We are one of the world's most powerful countries and we live in "luxury" at the same time. I have an aunt that is a pretty successful executive at a bank, and she recently traveled to France to hear a lot of low jokes about Americans. My aunt took this pretty personally. She went off on how we work way more than them, which is true. Although the people of European counties generally take two or three hour lunches and close their stores every night at five, they tend to be happier and more carefree. But if it came down to having more free time or less money, what would you choose? We're actually more likely to say more money because thats the way we've been raised- in a society full of competion and posesseions.

Now, If you can take a country like Iraq or w/e you can imagine how with their limited resources how they can't live the same lives as we do. They can't always excel in this world due to racial restrictions and and economy status. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this IS how the world is right? Now those attacks may have been out of jealousy, or hatred toward our lifestyles, but in any case it was caused by our "greed"

One more point. Last year for my History class I had to do a ten page semester project on the Baha'i religion. One of it's greatest leaders/icons (I don't know quite how to word it), had said that it just isnt right for one to be rich and in the lap of luxury and then have his neighbor starve to death. Isn't that what we do everyday when we buy our Lexus's and big screen TV's? I mean, people do starve to death, right? WHY isnt this a bigger issue? WHY aren't we kept up at night with this very thought in our heads? I mean, we all know it, but we still live our lives comfortably. I'm guilty too, oddly. Just think- If you had to choose between a diamond ring you bought for yourself or someone starving to death you'd get rid of your ring right? The more I think about it, the more confused I get. We AREN'T bad people, but this "problem" still persists. Aagghh!

Posts: 15 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I totally agree with CameronFrye05 too. I would like to know what others on here from other countries really think about what happened, because it affected them too. It affected everyone. Another way it did affect me, is that it is so hard to watch movies that took place in New York City-and there are a million, even King Kong, from the 70's with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange, I can't watch it, and not think about all the people who died there, and I think- I have been there before, my Aunt had just been there for a play and went sight seeing and was up on the observation area, a few months before this. My friend Eddie, went in there every week. I have been to the top of the Empire State Building.
A friend of mine, works for our state represenative,and she wrote a poem, that was dedicated to the man from my state who, did the "Let's roll" and actually helped save a bunch of lives, by giving his own. They had a big ceremony in dedication to him. But, it is true that people just don't realize how lucky they are, and what gets me is..we are at war with ourselves. I think, what do other countries think of us? Think of our kids killing each other in schools, or kids killing their own parents, or their teacher? I never have seen that in the news about other countries. I never see things like O.J Simpson, Lorena Bobbit, Tonya Harding, Amy Fisher, The Menendez brothers, Pam Smart, and the endless headlines about children like Jon Benet Ramsey and Elizabeth Smart, Adam Walsh, Polly Klaas. Our prisons are jammed to the top, and where I live, that is actually one of the biggest places of employment, and they are always saying they need to build more. Why?? Because if you come from a life of crime, is jail an actual punishment? What do you have to loose-if your on drugs, and don't want to work, or have no where to go, prison sounds pretty good. You have a roof over your head, you can get a college degree-paid for, you can watch t.v, have 3 meals a day, and work outside in a garden, play basketball, sounds like fun, huh? We are so messed up and I never see anyone doing anything to change any of it. Just because it is the way it is, doesn't mean it's right. Look who we have to choose for as president, and look at what they have done, and what you hear about? It's not all the great causes they have done for the world, it's their personal private lives splattered all over the news. We should be so ashamed.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
CameronFrye05- I just realized that your the one who started this discussion. I can't believe your only 16. You have a tremendous grasp on life. You might want to think about a career in politics, run for president. I'd vote for ya.
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Although the people of European counties generally take two or three hour lunches and close their stores every night at five, they tend to be happier and more carefree.
CameronFrye05, that's a fairly sweeping generalisation. I can't speak for France but when I'm in Spain I note that they take their breaks but the stores etc. are often open untill 8 or 9 at night. It's unfortunate that your aunt encountered such prejudice but don't tar everybody with the same brush. But I'd have to agree that in mainland Europe there is a healthier attitude to life. Or at least there was. But you'll find pretty much everywhere there's an overwhelming obsession with material goods. But credit to you for trying to get a handle on all this.
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaymi
Master Rewinder
Member # 1434

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jaymi   Email Jaymi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say is, WOW [Eek!]
I was in high school during the 80's and man, times are not that much different. To look at people fundamentally, there are not that many differences. The main thing that comes to my mind is the fact that many people do not use what they have in the area of imagination and the media plays on that by giving information that is skewed and graphics that are deplorable. This is a now commonly known term--desensitized. People are desensitized to things that even the 30 something generation could only imagine or picture in their minds, not blazing across a TV screen. Music is another, songs that implied something and were very suggestive stopped at a certain point. Now, you can cuss, you can describe body parts and what you are going to do with and to them. Kinda makes me sick. I have 3 children and I have a strong parental obligation to teach my children right and wrong. From there it is up to them. You have all brought some interesting points but think about it, this is a fascinating time to be alive in history... [Big Grin]

Posts: 348 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CameronFrye05
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1937

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CameronFrye05   Email CameronFrye05   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Isis that means a lot. And Banshee, I'm very sorry for my over-assumption. I never meant to send out the idea that Europeans aren't hard working or anything,just that they're less motivated by material possessions then Americans. (Another over-assumption?). I think it's great that we can all share our thoughts and I like learning from people of different backrounds. I think I've been a member here for less than a week and I already am blown away by the community you guys have created. Thanks for replying! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone is bringing up excellent points on this topic, and I think it really shows w/ the amount of conviction in which we write our opinions. Although, I don't think America is the only place w/ these types of problems, I just think it is in excess here because our country has flourished into one of the most affluent places in the world. We are so lucky to live where we live and have the freedom to even state our opinions on a message-board. So many places have it much worse then we do. So, ok, we have an occasional bad seed who goes on a power trip and blows up a building or what not..., but just think how the people in Isreal feel. They have to live w/ that type of fear everyday. As we write on this message-board we vent about our opinions and experiences, but is anyone on this message-board really commiting and doing something about it? I think this is what we struggle w/ the most...taking action!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
CameronFrye05-Your welcome. I think your an extremely bright 16 year old. And, I completely understood what you were saying, and I never got for 1 second that you were bashing anyone's country- just saying how there are difference in what people make as their priorities, not that they are lazy or don't want to work-I never thought that at all. And, I am saying the same thing, we take our country and even our freedom for granted. I think this- just because we have the freedom of speech, does that mean you should say whatever you want. Like, with lyrics in music, I mean really who needs to hear the f-word in a song. Then when you say you can't say that, people flip out, when I think, why would you want to say that anyway, not should you be allowed to? I do stuff all the time to try and changes things around me. I get involved in the community, I have been going round and round with my own township, because I had a bunch of volunteer firemen who are complete idiots living across from me, and they have been a hazard to children, they leave the firehall intoxicated, they stole stuff off my property, they watched us through binoculars,they stand outside and use the f-word, around kids who are looking to them for guidance. They have been a complete embarrassment-to anyone in the fire community, and I have complete respect for firemen, my dad- died the end of May-and he was a volunteer fireman for 42 years. It took alot , but I finally got a state trooper and another person, who works for the state represenative to check in to it, and these guys were a total bunch of wastoids. It wasn't the whole fire hall-just a select few good old rednecks who had nothing better to do in life.And it's done-they are gone, and the whole town is grateful-but no one else wanted to stand up against them. No one ever wants involved in anything. I get involved in my son's school, I get involved in community projects. I have done volunteer work for endless organizations, SPCA, PETA, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, The Women's Abuse Shelter in my hometown, The Boy Scouts, Muscular Distrophy, Systic Fibrosis, St. Jude's, The Veteran's Hospitals. I donate time and money.
I don't take my life for granted. But, I see it all the time, and how do you change it?

CameronFrye05
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1937

Rate Member
Wow. Thanks so much again Isis its really nice to hear somebody tell me that. You seem to have been living your life to the fullest, which I hope to do with my life as well. I love to observe the world and give feedback as I'm sure we all do. If anyone could add an exrta opinion please do. Back to the topic though, I have a new question. What, if anything, do you guys do to give back to the world? Thanks-
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
That is a great question. I think even if people don't have time to volunteer and do things in a major way, we can all do things to make the world a better place, just on a daily basis. Not littering- not polluting the water, and even not smoking. I think recycling is a great way to help out. I was never bored in high school as a teenager. I said it before. I worked summers as a camp counselor with mentally handicapped children, I did that for 5 years, and was a candystriper for 4 years, and I volunteered at a pregnancy crisis center after school. When I was single, I did Big Brothers/ Big Sisters, and I use to volunteer at the S.P.C.A and would go clean cages out, and feed the animals. My Aunt worked for GreenPeace, and she is big environmentalist- she was a lobbyist for the state of Vermont- and founded an organization called End-Trap that was trying to ban the leg-hold trap, because it is a horribly cruel way to die. I used to go with her in the summers, when she was in college, and we would band birds for the game commission. I love animals. We have rescued and raised a bunch of wild animals that were orphaned or abandoned. I had 6 raccoons, a red fox, a sparrow hawk, a squirrel- a skunk, and a groundhog. Then we released them in a protected area. I am totally against hunting for food. Everyone that knows me, knows that one. I think being kind to people, and polite and considerate, is a way everyone can be a better person. I always think if someone is mean, the best way to deal with them, is to kill them with kindness-cause they don't know how to take it. I really liked this topic, cause I think when your in a group of such diverse people, from different countries it is great to see what others are doing outside just movies. And what others think of the world we all share.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home