iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Favorite John Hughs film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite John Hughs film
FontanaG
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1673

- posted      Profile for FontanaG   Author's Homepage   Email FontanaG       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your all time John Hughs movie.

My top pick would be

1. Some Kind of Wonderful

I think it tells a real story about the unlikely guy who didn't do a what if? in his life and went for the big prize. [Cool]

Besides I'm a fan of Mary Stewart Masterson [Wink]

lets see name yours and why? [Razz]

Posts: 59 | From: FontanaCA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi FontanaG,

I completely agree, as you will know if you read my review of the picture. I love all of Hughes's 80's hits, but this one does it for me.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, I love Some Kind of Wonderful. Great film.
Another close fav has to be Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really dig some kind of wonderful as well. i also enjoyed the great outdoors and the breakfast club, for the awesome and hilarious one liners. [Cool]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sladey
Rewinder
Member # 1804

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for sladey   Email sladey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Hughes is sheer quality

My fav is The Breakfast Club but close behind are the rest like SKOW And pretty in pink.

Oh and at xmas i love watching Home Alone

Posts: 32 | From: wiltshire,england | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retrohpink
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1832

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for retrohpink   Author's Homepage   Email retrohpink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pretty in pink,

why? - it was the first one I saw from john hughes and the one I know every line and the one I think it has the best cast and the one who always makes me cry.

Posts: 65 | From: lisbon, portugal | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty in Pink.

SKOW was really good, but it always felt less natural to me than PIP. It was after all, essentially a remake. I feel a little sad when I watch it too, because it was the last of the great John Hughes teen films (I like Career Opportunities but...).

"She thinks you're ****, and deep down inside you know she's right".

"Andie, he came here alone. Ok you're right, he's not like the others".

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I used to fancy Molly Ringwald
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1884

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Email I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has to be in order:

1) The Breakfast Club

2) Planes, Trains And Automobiles

3) Ferris Bullers

4) Some Kind Of Wonderfull

Posts: 67 | From: London,Uk | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sladey:

Oh and at xmas i love watching Home Alone

Me too

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, guys, this might sound a little off-topic, but I have to ask:

Logan5 wrote:
quote:
SKOW was really good, but it always felt less natural to me than PIP. It was after all, essentially a remake.
This has been said before, but I don't get it. OK, one character in both PIP and SKOW has someone who loves them, and they love someone else. Sounds like most teen movies ever made.

But following this through, you are calling similarities between Andie (Molly Ringwald) and Keith (Eric Stolz) that just aren't there. And the same goes for Watts (Masterson) and Duckie (Cryer). Completely different. And don't even get me started on amanda Jones (Thompson), the kid from the normal family that wanted to run with the rich kids, and Blaine (McCarthy) who actually was a rich kid, and was therefore only being who he was. no pretence, no acting.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling, but it riles me a little when people say one is a remake of the other, because it belittles what I actually believe is the better of the two movies. Certainly the more believable of the movies, and if anything, I reckon that SKOW was PIP, only the way that Hughes really wanted to make it.

[Smile]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NottoocoolJulie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1580

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for NottoocoolJulie   Email NottoocoolJulie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(cowering to avoid being trampled by Paul coming down from his soapbox [Big Grin] j/k)

Pretty In Pink
Uncle Buck

Posts: 59 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

's ok, I'm cheerful now... [Wink]
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Where is the love for Sixteen Candles, possibly the funniest one.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Paul, we won't get into whether SKOW is better than PIP. Those trenches would be dug in deep on both sides! They're both really good films no question.

As you probably know, following the confused previews of PIP, John Hughes was forced to write the 'new' ending. This was because he had failed (as a writer) to convince the viewer that: a) Andie should be with Duckie not Blaine, and b) That Blaine wanted (or deserved) someone other than her.

You're partly right that SKOW is PIP as Hughes wanted to make it, PIP was how he wanted to make it, he just didn't convince the audience.
He took the same story (deliberately), and altered it sufficiently to make sure that the audience was rooting for Watts and Keith, and wasn't disappointed when Amanda was left alone. Something he didn't succeed in doing on PIP.

You're right about teen plots being very similar (Valley Girl? Or even Romeo and Juliet?).
In this case, I think if there had been no reason to change PIP, then we probably wouldn't have had SKOW.
So we can thank PIP for SKOW or thank John Hughes for both.

In the end I suppose it doesn't matter which came first, or which one is a personal preference.
They're both great films, and they both make almost all of the other teen romances look weak and false by comparison. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very sensitive subject! I think Ima have to go with The Breakfast Club, only because the story was fairly different from the others. Pure Genius, In my opinion.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home