iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Superman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superman
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats goin on with Superman DVD's in the UK, in the US all 4 are released and even a box set with all 4 movies. But in the UK, only 1 + 2 are out, also a box set of these 2, which is nice but where is 3 + 4, and a complete collection box set?? wazzupwithat

Baz

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, it's crap isn't it. I did a search and couldn't find out any news or release dates. Probably could get it on Ebay. I had to get The Goonies from there as I couldn't get the DVD in UK. It was brand new and sealed.

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Sorry man, I didn't know you guys had it that bad. Is it really bad though to not have those 2, considering they weren't that great.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sorry man, I didn't know you guys had it that bad. Is it really bad though to not have those 2, considering they weren't that great.
Yup definitly, the re-mastering and general work that goes into releasing a dvd is done as the US version is out, it wouldnt be alot of work to make a PAL, version from their remaster. So its just sitting there.

Also i am one for collections, im not gonna buy 1 + 2 then 3 + 4 when they feel like releasing it, i wouldnt buy back to the future 1 + 2 seperately and not the trilogy just cause it wasnt as good,

I loved all 4 when i was a kid and i still do, and richard pryor in the 3rd was excellent as he always is. maybe not classics like 1 + 2 but good none the less. There is still no excuse for them not being released here. i think anyway

Baz

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bings2003
Rewinder
Member # 1914

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bings2003   Email Bings2003   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I read somewhere years ago that Superman 4 in the US and France was dramatically different from the UK release?

I seem to remember that apparently the story was fleshed out more and there were two Nuclear men. Superman defeated a prototype one before Luthor made an improved version.

Although it maybe just me, getting old now and the brain is starting to go a bit.

Posts: 31 | From: Sheffield, England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
Hi Bings2003

not exactly, when they made the movie it was over 2 hrs long and this is the version you have read about, it did have a 1st Nuclear Man, which Superman defeated, ever wondered why Lex wasnt surprised when the second one just turned up.

anyway the test screening was a failure so it was dramatically cut to the theatrical version, this is the only version that exists, the original screener is said to have been destroyed. but who knows.

there is alot of controversy over the Superman Movies, the original cut of the 1st movie was over 3 hours long, which again was cut down loads, when it went to TV in the 80's some networks showed the whole original version. but thats the last it was seen. If that version was released on DVD, Richard Donner said he would remove his name from the project.

And with Superman 2 it gets worse lol since alot of it was filmed at the same time as the 1st, then they changed director from Richard Donner to Richard Lester of whom cut alot of his predecessors scenes, and reshot some etc. so there are many different versions and ofcourse whose versions are the best?? hehe

Baz

Bings2003
Rewinder
Member # 1914

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bings2003   Email Bings2003   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, well at least I now know that my thinking box is not gone yet.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 31 | From: Sheffield, England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The state of pre-90s films on DVD in the UK is dire compared to the US, I just received Knightriders and Thrashin' from America yesterday, both great films and both not (and probably never will be) available in the UK.

But we do have 80s films other countries don't have, such as the recently released Flight of the Navigator and The Quiet Earth.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thebazman:
Hi Bings2003

not exactly, when they made the movie it was over 2 hrs long and this is the version you have read about, it did have a 1st Nuclear Man, which Superman defeated, ever wondered why Lex wasnt surprised when the second one just turned up.

anyway the test screening was a failure so it was dramatically cut to the theatrical version, this is the only version that exists, the original screener is said to have been destroyed. but who knows.

there is alot of controversy over the Superman Movies, the original cut of the 1st movie was over 3 hours long, which again was cut down loads, when it went to TV in the 80's some networks showed the whole original version. but thats the last it was seen. If that version was released on DVD, Richard Donner said he would remove his name from the project.

And with Superman 2 it gets worse lol since alot of it was filmed at the same time as the 1st, then they changed director from Richard Donner to Richard Lester of whom cut alot of his predecessors scenes, and reshot some etc. so there are many different versions and ofcourse whose versions are the best?? hehe

Baz

I always hated the fact that Superman II never turned out the way it was supposed to. I grew up watching the ABC cut that was shown in the 80's, with included a lot of the Richard Donner footage. Then one day I watched the video version and I was SHOCKED at how awful the theatrical cut of Superman II was. The new director Richard Lester, and the producers the Salkinds cut out the final goodbye Superman had with Lois Lane both at the Fortress and at her apartment!! That was unforgivable. The Donner footage really makes that a TOTALLY DIFFERENT movie.

It's pretty easy to tell which parts of Superman II were shot by Richard Donner and which scenes were shot by Richard Lester. The Donner scenes of Superman II just flat out FEEL like the way a Superman movie should be. It's more mature and feels like the first film. Like the trucker guy in the diner beating up the powerless Clark Kent. The Lester scenes are stupid and more lighthearted campy stuff, like the guy on the disco skates being blown backwards and the man in the phonebooth still carrying on a conversation and laughing like an idiot after the booth is blown over by General Zod and company.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I'm a huge 'Superman - The Movie' fan. But if you're interested in the background etc. to those flicks then you really should check out the Superman Cinema home page.
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a great site where they sell---lousy looking---but full versions of all four films. They have like Japanese subttitles or something but I'm still saving up my 20 bux to get it. Best we can do till they do a special edition of parts 2 thru 4.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home