iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » james spader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: james spader
twoparadox-m
Rewind Curious
Member # 1903

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for twoparadox-m   Email twoparadox-m   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone remember the new kids with him and eric stolz
Posts: 4 | From: kansas | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I never heard of it [Frown] ( Must rent it now!) but the reason that I am replying is because I love James Spader!!!! I think he is one of the more under rated actors of his time. :)The Secretary was great, I love Stargate, but if we are speaking of 80's classic he looked pretty darn good in pretty in pink !!! Even if he was a jerk!!!! [Razz]
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twoparadox-m
Rewind Curious
Member # 1903

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for twoparadox-m   Email twoparadox-m   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you seen tuff turf with spader and robert downey jr
Posts: 4 | From: kansas | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jones4Rio
Rewinder
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jones4Rio   Email Jones4Rio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have seen both of these. I'm a major James Spader fan too. I've gone a bit overboard since "Secretary". I really love that film and it had been awhile since he had made something I really loved. The few years before "Secretary" were full of straight-to-video low budget films that are pretty lame.

"The New Kids" is *very* uneven and quite dull because it moves so slowly and lacks tension. It's suppose to be a thriller, but you find your attention waning. The *only* thing that makes this film remotely interesting is Spader. His hair is dyed platinum blonde and he plays Dutra, the sociopathic leader of a bunch of rednecks who terrorize Lori Loughlin and some other guy who plays her brother. Even though he's creepy, the movie is full of unimportant stuff so that the potency he supplies is allowed to disipate. His accent is funny. You got this Yankee trying to do Florida/country and it don't work, but DAMNIT, he gives it his all! I would only bother with this one if you're a major Spader fan or a Lori Loughlin fan. Stoltz plays a small supporting role. He becomes Loughlin's boyfriend. No scenes dealing with their relationship. Just becomes her boyfriend. Maggie Gyllenhaal (Spader's Secretary co-star)'s father, Stephen, actually wrote the script for "The New Kids". Interesting, huh?

"Tuff Turf"! I have a soft spot for this one. I think the only reason I like it is because I was so attached to it as a kid. It's a bit uneven too. It was shot after "The New Kids". "Tuff Turf" is easier to find and is overall a better film. If you like Spader, get this one. He's actually the protagonist. And he DANCES!! And SINGS!! I don't think anyone made up their mind as to what type of movie this was gonna be. It's some weird conglomeration of "West Side Story" and "Rebel Without a Cause" only not nearly as good. But there are some definite pure 80s moments in it. And the clothes! Oh ma gawd! It has REAL 80s outfits, not some costume designer's idea of what teenagers wore, but what was really worn. Lots of music as well. Oh and Jim Carroll! I'm looking forward to the write-up of this film on this website.

My favorite 80s Spader flick is "Jack's Back" (1988). The title is silly and so is the hook - A serial killer in Los Angeles celebrates Jack the Ripper's 100th birthday by committing similar murders. It's odd, but while it's the major driving force behind the action in the film, it doesn't feel like the major plot. Did that make sense? Spader plays twins and is excellent in it. He's intense, charismatic and sexy. Watch this one if you haven't seen it yet.

And since you mentioned Stoltz, I have to mention "Some Kind of Wonderful". <sigh> Excellent.

Posts: 48 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retrohpink
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1832

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for retrohpink   Author's Homepage   Email retrohpink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didin't really fancy him until I saw white palace. I don't know why but I really liked that movie and I hate susan sarandon.
James was looking great, really. And the sex scenes were hm interesting lol. Don't think I'm a pervert or something I just really liked those because they showed emotion. (of course I still prefer gertz and patric in the lost boys but well).
I must see those movies.

And btw has anyone seen Crash? I've heard its pretty erm "evil" but I'm curious. Its just that Its not over here and I dont think my mom will let me order a movie about a cult of car crash fetishists :X

Posts: 65 | From: lisbon, portugal | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen 'Crash'. Very weird film. We saw it at the cinema and everybody got up and left apart from us.
It was quite a few years ago that I saw it though and can't remember it that well. It couldn't have been that bad as i'm not scarred for life:)

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i think of james spader i automatically think-"mannequin." i thought he was pretty funny in that movie.

guess, i haven't seen much of his movies, because i never even heard of "new kids."

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say that I have seen "Crash" and found it ahh... errr.... interesting as well. I try not to think of that film when I think of James. I think he is pretty darn hot soo the images of him in that movie I try to forget! LOL
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NottoocoolJulie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1580

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for NottoocoolJulie   Email NottoocoolJulie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James Spader is one of those guys I love to hate..he gets on my nerves for some reason. Yet, I can't stop staring at him. It bugs me, he bugs me. Damn him for being so hot! [Mad]

(loved him in Sex, Lies, and Videotape!)

Posts: 59 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jones4Rio
Rewinder
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jones4Rio   Email Jones4Rio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NottoocoolJulie:
James Spader is one of those guys I love to hate..he gets on my nerves for some reason. Yet, I can't stop staring at him. It bugs me, he bugs me. Damn him for being so hot! [Mad]

(loved him in Sex, Lies, and Videotape!)

LOL...yeah, sometimes he bugs me too (especially when he makes crap movies), but damnit, I can't stop watching. Once you understand his work and how he operates, you get it. You get into the Spader groove of things. He is really underrated and unfortunately, underutilized for much of his career, but alas - that's his fault. He's never been very ambitious or career-driven.

"Crash" - this movie, I tell ya - I've yet to make it through the whole thing without falling asleep and always at the same point. It's so dead. I mean, analytically I understand what is trying to be said about isolation and lack of connection driving humans to more and more ludricous activities in an attempt to connect with another human being. The disintegration of community because of technology - yada, yada...but NONE of it matters if a film doesn't engage me. It's like this movie shot itself in the foot. It was so busy being superiorly analytical that it didn't realize everyone left the building. It's like this movie's jacking itself off and could care less about us. If you do rent this movie, be sure to get the Unrated version. My favorite scene was cut from the rated version. During anal sex, Ballard's (Spader) wife (Deborah Kara Unger) has a long monologue of dirty talk. It makes events that occur later in the film make much more sense. Yeah, Elias Koteas and Spader get it on.

Hehe, "Mannequin". You know, I caught that again recently. It was a huge hit when it came out. I remember thinking it was so cool, but it's SOOO cheesy. The montage with McCarthy and Catrall dressing up and dancing around the store is hilarious! And Estelle Getty is an AWFUL actress. But Spader-wise, a departure from the slick bad guys, instead an incredibly slimy, dorky bad guy.

Whoa, another long, rambling post...

There's another thread on here talking about "Endless Love". I haven't seen it yet, but Spader plays Brooke Shield's younger brother.

Has anyone seen "The Rachel Papers" (1989)? It was just recently released on DVD. I love it because I wanted to be Ione Skye when I was a little girl. Spader has a throwaway part as Skye's boyfriend, DeForest. The other Skye 80s movie I really enjoy is "River's Edge". That one ain't a happy shiny 80s flick.

Posts: 48 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home