iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80s DVD rip off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80s DVD rip off
I used to fancy Molly Ringwald
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1884

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Email I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else get fed up with the DVDs that come out? I have upgraded a few of my fave 80s movies to DVD(planes,trains,LIttel Shop of horrors,Lost Boys) and none of them ever come with any decent extra features.

I got the predator double dvd set and that was really good but most are crap.

For all the UK users here, if you goto HMV at the moment you can get 3 for 20 pounds on movies/cds I managed to get lost boys,little shop of horrors and dirty rotton scoundrels....not bad!!.

be nice if they had some extras

Posts: 67 | From: London,Uk | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll tell you what makes me really mad... When I buy a DVD and 6 months later they rerelease the DVD with a bunch of added features, deleted scenes, etc. Why release something like that and then go into your vaults to discover those "Missing/Deleted scenes". They were there when they went into the vault the 1st time why didnt they add those things then? [Mad]
Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at my 80s films DVD collection, these ones have more than an "interactive menu & trailer" listed as their special features:

Willow (region 2) - audio commentary, two making-of featurettes, trailer, 2 teaser trailers, 8 t spots
Time Bandits (region 2) - excellent audio commentary with loads of the cast, missing storyboard scene, interview with Terry Gilliam & Michael Palin (made a year or two ago), and a limited edition paper map
Malcolm (region 0 from Australia) - commentary by the makers, interviews at an awards show, press kit pictures
Ghostbusters (region 2) - storboard split-screen comparison, visual&audio commentary by the makers (you see their shadow on the screen), deleted scenes, behind the scenes featurette, trailers etc.
Tron (region 1, 20th Ann release) - 2 disc set, audio commentary, recently made 90min documentary, deleted scenes, storyboard to film comparisons, trailers etc.
Buckaroo Banzai (region 1) - alternate opening, audio commentary, deleted scenes, Buckaroo Banzai declassified documentary, trailer etc.
UHF (region 1) - deleted scenes, commentary by Weird Al, music video, behind the scenes footage
Back to the Future Trilogy (region 2) - behind the scenes on all 3 discs, deleted scenes on all 3 discs, commentary on the first film, trailers etc.
The Dark Crystal (region 2) - 60 min featurette, deleted scenes, trailers etc.
Battle Beyond the Stars (region 1) - 2 commentary tracks, production stills, trailer etc.
The Last Starfighter (region 1) - commentary track, the making of documentary,, trailer etc.
Near Dark (region 1) - 2 disc set, audio commentary, 47min recently made documentary, deleted scene, trailers, pictures etc.

So there are a heap of 80s films on DVD with extras worth shouting about, I think the problem is for some releases is first finding material on the film and secondly getting the rights to put it with the DVD, and then working out if it's financially worth it for them to add them in (cost of transferring, authoring the DVD, and the biggest one is paying the copyright holder if the studio doesn't own the material.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I used to fancy Molly Ringwald
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1884

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Email I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Last Starfighter (region 1) - commentary track, the making of documentary,, trailer etc.
Near Dark (region 1) - 2 disc set, audio commentary, 47min recently made documentary, deleted scene, trailers, pictures etc.

I used to love the last starfighter, didnt even know it was out on dvd...where u get it from?

Posts: 67 | From: London,Uk | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it in a trade with someone but you can get it from http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=5465 for about 9 quid inc. postage (you'll need a multiregion DVD player to play it in the UK). DVD Pacific are a great site for ordering US DVDs.
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MONSOON complained:
quote:
I'll tell you what makes me really mad... When I buy a DVD and 6 months later they rerelease the DVD with a bunch of added features, deleted scenes, etc. Why release something like that and then go into your vaults to discover those "Missing/Deleted scenes". They were there when they went into the vault the 1st time why didn't they add those things then? [Mad]
There are a few reasons for that:

(1.) A particular movie title can have more than one (and in some cases, several) companies that release the home-video versions of it. The video rights have been changed from time to time. Also, a company might have the "rights" to the extra stuff, but not the film itself, and vice versa.

(2.) Some companies are more "cheapskate" than others. And then there are some companies that go the extra length and effort to obtain the extra features. (Good example: The Criterion Collection)

(3.) Many of these older titles (80's and before) were made only home-video VHS or Beta came around. Filmmakers had no reason to keep any more than they had to, because laserdisc was not yet "big", compared to the DVD format nowadays.

(4.) It is possible that any deleted footage, outtakes, bloopers, etc. were thrown in the trash, mainly because there were no other place to see them. The only people who saw those outtakes were the ones who worked on the film.

(5.) If you're trying to get interviews with the stars or the crew, then you got to bring them back together for any commentary. This is not always easy, because it means they would have to change their schedules and drop whatever else they were doing at the time. Also, some of the people who worked on a movie may have retired from show biz and are hard to locate; or have died; or simply are not interested in doing extra stuff.

But the most obvious answer...
(6.) Movie companies are greedy! They know people want to buy the DVD version of a title, but also wants the extra stuff. So, a second or third version of that same title has the extras the first edition did not have.

Hope this explains it somewhat!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that does explain alot. Doesnt mean I've got to like it though.
Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best place to buy DVD's in the UK, www.play.com

I look for 2 things when buying an older movie on dvd, a good quality image transfer and a 5.1 soundtrack. because most 80's movies can be bought really cheaply most for under a tenner anyway (visit play) if its any dearer id maybe expect some decent extras, but i cant argue if it delivers those 2 at a reasonable price. For extras and a dts soundtrack i may even break the bank a little, lol

i CANT stand, crappy mono and stereo transfers, and bad quality image transfers epecially in 4:3

Baz

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

If you have a multiregion DVD player then this site: http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk will be of immense use to you, it lists hundreds of comparisons between different region releases of DVDs, listing their extras, specifications etc. and most importantly if they've been cut or not (there are an annoying amount of cut DVDs in the UK, the BBFC really dislike headbutts and knife play)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home