iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Fast food how it was (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fast food how it was
eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast food was better back then. Big macs were very good. Kentucky fried chicken was finger licking good.

Anyone else remember what fast food was like back in the 80s or 70s? Hopefully we can get some older members to answer hehe

Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to love McDLT's. The hot on one side the cold on the other. I figured they stopped making them because everyone got all "enviromental". [Razz]
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belauan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1862

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Belauan   Email Belauan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only food, but it seems that everything were better then...
Posts: 58 | From: Palau | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melissa24
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 361

- posted      Profile for Melissa24   Email Melissa24   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I was a teen back in the 80s....I think I would of loved it.
Posts: 11 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massiveretaliation
Master Rewinder
Member # 950

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for massiveretaliation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread reminded me of Chi-Chi's, they were my favorite place to eat until the only one around closed down a long, long time ago. Fried ice cream, pizza, Tex Mex... [Frown]
Posts: 168 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Hain
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1552

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Sam Hain   Email Sam Hain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Older member here*

I've always felt that Big Macs were highly overrated. But I agree that KFC used to be much much better then what it is now. Hardees/Roy Rogers/Carl Jr.'s used to be better also.

Anyone have any idea what ever happened to the Skipper's restaraunts?

Posts: 56 | From: Bismarck, ND; hopefully Phoenix, ARIDzona come spring | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, man, as a kid I used to think the McDLT (McDelicious, Lettuce and Tomato I believe) was this amazing format. In a two-piece styrofoam tray, you got to build the burger from one side of the tray to another! Woah!

Now I know it was basically putting the top bun on the bottom bun.

But not much else has changed from what I can see. Whoppers, Big Macs, Quarter Pounders, they're still around.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have said it before too, that nothing is the same. I remember going to McDonalds, was something that was a real special deal. We never ate inside, we always got the food, and sat out in the car in the parking lot, and the smell of McDonalds french fries, made you crazy. I remember for my 9th birthday, my parents let me order a Big Mac, before that, I was only ever allowed a bite of my mom's. Tomorrow's my 35th b-day- and believe me-I'm not spending the day eating a Big Mac at McDonalds. I miss Chi-Chi's too, it was where I went on my first date with my husband. They have one not far from me still, but it got really dirty and gross. I miss diners- there were so many cheap places to eat a hamburger at when I was a kid, and we'd walk downtown and get a hamburger for .25 Does anyone remember Murphy Mart? There used to be a restaurant in the one we had in my town, and it was like diner food, we loved it. Of course it is gone now. I miss department stores too. We always shopped in our downtown, it had a G.C. Murphy's, and it had everything in it, and it was so cool. That's when they had elevators, in old buildings that needed a person to run them.
They have messed up the taste of everything. Big Red gum used to be my favorite gum, and now I can't stand it-it's like chewing a fireball-why do they think you have to improve something, that people loved and were buying already??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Isis!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Happy Birthday Isis,

Before there was Devo,
There was a guy that worked in McDonalds for
7 years that looked just like him.

I saw everything from 90-97
McDLT, styrofoam boxes, McLean, Arch Deluxe, I saw it all, when I first started working there the toys in the Happy Meal were Super Mario 3 for Nintendo.

OK, anyone with any questions feel free to ask.

We are DEVO and believe it or not we never in 7 years ate a mcdonalds hamburger.
I just liked burger king more, not for any gross reasons.

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the birthday message.

I was a burger queen, I mean ... I worked at Burger King...my 1st job ever. I actually really liked it, in high school, we used to goof around, and my friends would play jokes each other, like one stuck dishwashing detergent in my milkshake.

Maybe when we were younger our taste buds were too, and that's why everything tasted better? It is the law of nature and what gears us up for pureed veggies in our old age, maybe? Just a thought- since I am old now.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I remember I used to be taken to McD's on a Friday night, dear old mom bought me the happy meal, but it was in this plastic flying saucer, remember that? How come they stopped making McRib and McPizza? I also used to love the old A+W drive inns, the waitress came and put the tray on your window,and you were served these big glasses of Root Beer, I'm sure everything tasted better as well. Never got to experience the American side of fast food much, but someone please tell of the White Castles and other chains us Canadians didn't experience.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the posters on this thread has mentioned that fast-food was better-tasting back then.

So, what changed? The ingredients? Or maybe it was your own taste buds that has changed your impressions? Or the fact that fast-food companies were becoming more and more "corporate-owned" when the 80's rolled along? (Example: In the 80's, KFC was bought out by Pepsi.)

Word to Sam Hain: I agree with you; McDonald's is overrated. And I have always loved KFC before, but their chicken taste quite different now for some reason. Maybe they have experimented with their menu too much.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Everything is different, even the packaging-which I think really can effect the taste. They changed their cooking oil around, and all that. A Big Mac, the bun is always stale any more, and any kind of sandwich that has lettuce, the lettuce is brown and gross-I just had a McDonalds salad, and it was horrible. I can't even stand to walk in to a fast food place any more, cause the people are so nasty cooking your food, that you can't think about it-or you'll loose your appetite. I have become a really good cook, because we were tired of eating out- spending a ton of money-to eat crap. But, every once and awhile you long for the taste of things from your past, to connect you to that time period.

Did anyone else ever have Sloppy Joe Day in elementary school?? We always got to walk home for lunch every day at school, but on special occassions the PTA moms, would do sloppy joe day, and everyone stayed at school, and they were the best sloppy joes ever, and I would kill to have that recipe. That was a great school memory for me.

AdventuresInGooniesitting
Master Rewinder
Member # 1882

- posted      Profile for AdventuresInGooniesitting         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember being really freaked out, yet intrigued by Mac Tonight, a short-lived McDonald's character from 1987. He had a crescent-shaped moon head, wore Blues Brothers shades, and played the piano atop a city skyscraper while singing about McDonald's.

I miss the old-skool fast food packaging from places like McDonald's and Burger King. (this can been seen is several 80s movies)

I miss the days when Domino's still had a "30 minutes or less" policy for their deliveries. NOW, it usually takes us almost an hour to receive our food from that place...

Anyone remember those records McDonald's gave out in the 80s? If your record played the entire McDonald's Menu Song, you won a million bucks. I wonder if anyone ever actually won that...

Posts: 269 | From: Dawson's Garage, I owe $5 | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pizza was definitely a lot better back in the day. pizza hut and domino's. i never order from them anymore. kfc was also wayyy better back then too. they're menu has changed so much. mcdonalds had better toys before. and speaking of mcd's i remember the record they gave out that had that song where a guy sang really fast, and they wanted customers to learn it and sing it.

BIG MAC MCDLT..QUARTER POUNDER WITH CHEESE... lalalalallaa

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I remember the 30 minute or less thing at Dominos, and I think it caused alot of major traffic accidents that resulted in people dying in car wrecks because of that deal, I think it was a one good thing that they did stop.

I remember the Burger King outfit I wore, was the exact same outfit, the older brother wore in the 1st Back to the future, it was brown courdory-sp?

There are some fast food places I never liked-like Long John Silvers.

I remember Bonanza was like our favorite restaurant, because of the cool salad bar. I loved their texas toast. They stink now too.

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Scary Devo knowledge returns, I had that square record and memorized the whole thing.

Big mac, mc dlt, a quarter pounder with some cheese, filet of fish, a hamburger, cheeseburger, happy meal, mc nuggets, shakes, and tasty french fries, regular or large in size,or a salad chef, or chicken salad oriental, big big breakfast, egg mc muffins, hot hot cakes, hash browns, and for dessert hot apple pies or sundaes 3 varieties.

It goes on.

Scary

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha way to go devo [Wink]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEVO,
no comment...lol! Actually, you never know when mass amounts of useless information will come in handy. This is very true!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Guys, I try not to let my peoples down

We are DEVO

Jones4Rio
Rewinder
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jones4Rio   Email Jones4Rio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think KFC was better because the quality of the chicken was better. Nowadays, there is more fat on a piece of chicken then meat. It's absolutely revolting. If I have to eat at KFC it's chicken tenders all the way which is NOT really truly KFC, is it?

I remember Taco Bell back in the day. Before it fell out of favor and then back in (kinda). The restaurants always had one of those huge bells smack dab on the top. Also, I think it was the enchirito? The one that used to have three black olives on top. They brought it back but without those precious three black olives, it will never be the same! [Smile]

Posts: 48 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maccy D's always seemed great in the 80's but I think the reason it seemed like that to me was because it was a treat. Being a kid, my mum wouldn't let me live off take-away food so if we had it, it was like "wow", a once every 6 month occurance.
I'm a bit put off now after going there for breakfast just before driving to the docks to catch a ferry and all the staff were completely 'hanging'. All in a right state and not with it. I rather cook for myself.

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnglishRose
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 175

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EnglishRose   Email EnglishRose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always get really jealous when I see kids getting all excited in McDonalds. Our town didn't get a McDonalds until around the mid 90s. We had a Wimpy but the was knives and forks and more 'proper' meals anyway.

We did have KFC but all you got was chicken in varying quantaties - never any chicken burgers. But the chicken did taste much better than it does now.

On special occasions we would go up to London and go to Wendy's who were the only ones who did the kids meal in a box with a toy.

Posts: 23 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Samurai Sweetie   Author's Homepage   Email Samurai Sweetie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Food has always been disgusting, it was nasty then, and it's still nasty now. [Razz]

I don't care for it, I like to cook my own food, at least I know what ever is in it, I put there. [Razz]

Posts: 186 | From: Lookout Mountain Road | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home