iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Sequels that are better than the original

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sequels that are better than the original
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,
In case any of you didn't know, I love controversy, so with that I give ask you,
What movie has a sequel that is better than the original?

Here comes some fireworks.
I believe that The Empire Strikes Back is better than Star Wars, and Return of the Jedi.

I think that Evil Dead 2 is better than Evil Dead BUT not for horror value reasons.

I might go with even that Breakin 2 is better than Breakin, but I might rain on Isis' parade?

I don't want to give anymore so I leave it to you.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Young Guns two is better than the original. i kno I kno DEVO, it wasn't made in the 80's but dern close.hehe. Love Kiefer Sutherland and Lou diamond Phillips. Christian Slater was really sorta annoying in this film. although, that tends to happen from time to time.
Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn is better than Star Trek - The Motion Picture. ST4: The Voyage Home is better than ST3: The Search For Spock. ST6: The Undiscovered Country is better than ST5: The Final Frontier. ST7: Generations sucked, whilst ST8: First Contact rocked. APART from..... ST9: Insurrection is (IMHO) a better movie than ST10: Nemesis.

It's a lot easier to pick movies that sucked second time round (Gregory's Girl vs Gregory's Two Girls).

Anyone want to call the Beverly Hills Cop movies or the Indiana Jones trilogy? For me, too close to judge....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,
I am going to say that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is the best of that series, just because I don't think that there is a low point in the movie. Short Round in the movie helps a lot "I am very little you cheat very big.'

Going to have to go with Beverly Hills Cop because it just has something more to it than the other movies.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Jaws 2 was as good as if not better than Jaws.

Friday the 13th part 2- is my favorite Friday the 13th- I like Amy Steel

Halloween 2, is as good as the first Halloween- what were they thinking in part 3??

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still say Bankok Chick Boyz:2 is better than.....
he he!

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sladey
Rewinder
Member # 1804

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for sladey   Email sladey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the godfather part2 is better do you not think?!
Posts: 32 | From: wiltshire,england | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
U2bonoman
Rewinder
Member # 1786

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for U2bonoman   Email U2bonoman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sladey:
the godfather part2 is better do you not think?!

I am with you on this. I think Godfather II is better than the original, but not by much. Both are awesome!
Posts: 31 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retrohpink
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1832

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for retrohpink   Author's Homepage   Email retrohpink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday the 13th part 2 was better than the original but i hated halloween 2 and adored halloween :/

oh and i liked evil dead 2 better too.

Posts: 65 | From: lisbon, portugal | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love both Godfather 1&2 equally, it's 3 that I can't stand!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love both Godfather 1&2 equally, it's 3 that I can't stand!

ditto! [Smile]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
U2bonoman
Rewinder
Member # 1786

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for U2bonoman   Email U2bonoman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could back in time and say one thing to Francis Ford Coppala, it would be "DO NOT CAST YOUR DAUGHTER IN GODFATHER III!!!"
Posts: 31 | From: America | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
I might go with even that Breakin 2 is better than Breakin, but I might rain on Isis' parade?

Breakin' far outweighs Breakin' 2 I feel, especially in the music area. I have the original vinyl of Breakin' and the original CD of Breakin' 2 of which I only like 4 tracks but the first film I like all the tracks.

Of films where the sequal was better than the original, Short Circuit 2 is one of them.

And depending on your views of bad films, Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II is much better (worse) than Wizards of the Lost Kingdom [Big Grin]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love both Breakin movies, of course..I like Breakin 1 for the story line and I just now got the Record LP of the music, so any day it will be coming. I have been outbid on the cassette for Breakin 2, but 1 day- oh yes, it will be mine.
I love all the music, but the ICE T stuff.

I think Superman 2 is as good as the first. We just watched it this afternoon! What does anyone think of 3 and 4, it's been so long since I have seen them, and all I remember is they were dumb. But, maybe my son would like them, it is still better than anything new now.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,
Ok a few things,

1) Halloween 2 had cooler deaths than Halloween I thought the story was a little better too
2) Superman 2 was much better than superman because the movie never really had a down point and it kept moving
3) If you are going to go with the best of the series, Friday the 13th part 4 is the best of them all.
(One might make an argument for Nightmare on Elm Street part 3 to be the best in that series)
4)yeah, ok, Short Circuit 2 is better
5)Police Academy 2 better than 1? A gut call

We are DEVO

ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lethal Weapon 2. Joe Pesci...way more fun than number 1.
Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ERIC 31:
Lethal Weapon 2. Joe Pesci...way more fun than number 1.

The problem is that I dont think LW1 was meant to be funny. It just had funny moments. IMO the whole LW series is great, but each one for its own reasons.
Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,
An excellent point by Monsoon, not all sequels are meant to have the same movie value as some of their predecessors Friday the 13th's past 4 stopped trying to be frightening.
I don't think Evil Dead 2 was meant to be all that scary.
Even with some of the Star Treks, I don't think it is fair to compare Star Trek 2 with Nemesis, because they are 2 totally different casts.
On the other hand, Meatballs 1-4 are four totally different movies, but I feel that you can compare them because they are all so different.

We are DEVO

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home