iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Scary Birthday Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scary Birthday Movies
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else seen Bloody Birthday? It is really creepy. Julie Brown is in it. I saw it on DVD,just now on Ebay- but didn't know if it was the same old one or not from the 80's?

Happy Birthday to Me..with Melissa Sue Anderson-has one of the creepiest scenes in a movie-where her and her mom are stuck on the draw bridge and the car falls in, and the mom can't get out cause the steering wheel has her trapped, and they keep sinking to the bottom.
Does anyone know if it is on DVD?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jones4Rio
Rewinder
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jones4Rio   Email Jones4Rio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isis9968:
Has anyone else seen Bloody Birthday? It is really creepy. Julie Brown is in it. I saw it on DVD,just now on Ebay- but didn't know if it was the same old one or not from the 80's?

Happy Birthday to Me..with Melissa Sue Anderson-has one of the creepiest scenes in a movie-where her and her mom are stuck on the draw bridge and the car falls in, and the mom can't get out cause the steering wheel has her trapped, and they keep sinking to the bottom.
Does anyone know if it is on DVD?

I have seen "Bloody Birthday". The only reason I remember is because the only reason I saw it in the first place was because the girl who sang "The Homecoming Queen Has Got A Gun" was it.

It wasn't very scary if I remember correctly. Kinda dopey actually.

Posts: 48 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man oh man did I hate going over bridges when I was a kid because of that scene in Happy Birthday to me.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching Bloody Birthday now & it's surprisingly not bad...I may consider a purchase. Shocked to see Julie Brown in this & she looked really good!! Cool find!! Love little gems like this.

Anybody else enjoy this one??

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody Birthday is a pretty good, fun entry in the killer children sub-genre. It has a good cast of recognizable folks like Jose Ferrer, Susan Strasberg, Michael Dudikoff, Joe Penny, Julie Brown, and Ellen Geer walking through to collect paychecks. The kids are especially good (one of them, Billy Jayne/Jacoby, memorably played the sex-obsessed brother a few years later in Just One of the Guys). This is probably director Ed Hunt's best film, certainly much better than his Canadian "Canuxploitation" stuff like Starship Invasions and The Brain, which is just laughable. It is no comparison, though, to 1976's Spanish "island of killer kids" masterpiece Who Can Kill a Child?, which relied on a creepy atmosphere of dread and suggestion rather than the blunt shock tatics of Birthday. Sadly, the Dark Sky DVD of Child is long out of print, but if you can find it, it is well worth checking out.

I understand that the Severin special edition of Birthday is good, with a lot of extras.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really liked bloody birthday as well, three horrible children as the main antagonists (well before the good son) and its still a good story, good suspense, i agree crash, jacoby did really good in his role
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of "evil kids" movies out there, stretching back to The Bad Seed and Village of the Damned up to the fairly recent It's Alive remake, The Good Son, and Orphan (the last of which I thought was quite good, by the way). Bloody Birthday works in its small way, I think, because it's not campy and doesn't wink at the audience: It plays exactly like any number of slasher films from the era, with a twist: killings with shovel, bow-and-arrow, revolver, jump rope, baseball bat--just substitute 10-year-olds for the usual mad dog killer. [Smile]

While we are talking about killer kids, it's not quite 80s, but check out 1975's "I Don't Want to Be Born" a/k/a "The Devil Within Her" for a way-over-the-top, completely bonkers, and hilarious killer kid (baby) film starring Joan Collins and Donald Pleasance. It cheers me up every time I watch it. It's on my short list of guilty pleasures, and I always recommend it to film fanatics who think that they have seen just about everything. You haven't really lived until you've seen this one.

[ 10. October 2012, 18:51: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more birthday-related terrors can be found in Madhouse (1981) and Sweet Sixteen (1983).

Pretty cool early 80's horror flicks. There's some seriously disturbing gore on display in Madhouse,
and a climax that resembles Happy Birthday To Me.

Both are available on dvd in the US.

My own birthday is usually pretty horrific too... Don't know if that counts though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Too funny! (You probably try to pin the tail on live donkeys or bob for eels or something. [Smile] )
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
You haven't really lived until you've seen this one.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"This one doesn't want to be born..."

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the omen as well, i forgot about that one. so who do you guys think was the worst kid out of all these monster child movies
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"This one doesn't want to be born..." [/QB]

That's a classic line, but wait till you hear Eileen Atkins as an Italian nun say the best line in the film (let's see if I can phonetically try to duplicate it): "Your behbee iz poe-zzay-zzed by dee day-ville." [Smile]

I realize that the The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby had been big hits, so killer kids were hot, and the Brit film industry had to get in on the action, but after you see this thing, you just can't imagine a single person alive looking at it on paper and saying, "This is great. Let's make it! We can get Joan Collins to play Mom!" This is the rare film where you can see a really competent horror director--Peter Sasdy--get so disheartened by how rotten he knew this thing was going to turn out that he just gives up early on and fills the film with random stuff--anything but the behbee--such as shots of Joan Collins and wonderful street scenes of London in the mid-70s.

[ 10. October 2012, 21:19: Message edited by: Crash ]

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchased Bloody Birthday years ago, after reading about it here on the Rewind. I thought it was ok. I bought it with 2 other movies recommended here that I couldn't even sit through ha.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
you ever think when watching the omen, that damian is a normal kid and everyone is mistaking him for the son of satan, and that horrible coincendences just happen around him. it kinda makes the movie a dark comedy from that perspective
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Kind of like Tucker & Dale vs. Evil... [Smile]

[ 15. October 2012, 07:44: Message edited by: Crash ]

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyedTucker & Dale! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home