iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 'The Movies Of The Eighties' (book, 1990)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'The Movies Of The Eighties' (book, 1990)
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any1 on here familiar with this (IMO) outstanding hardback??

Title: 'The Movies Of The Eighties'
Authors: Ron Base & David Haslam
Size: approx' A4
Released: 1990
Publisher: Macdonald & Co. (Publishers) Ltd, London
Cat: ISBN 0 356 19575 9

Felt I had better mention it since, 13 years on, it ranks as easily one of the 2 or 3 best text/picture books I have ever purchased, and is a must-buy for all true '80s movie fans.

Contains 8 chapters, all superbly written by two of Canada's foremost critics/experts, complemented with more crystal-clear photos than in just about any other book of this type I've came across.

Here's an overview of said chapters (quoted from the Contents);

ET Phones Home - An Introduction to the Movies of the Eighties:
Steven Spielberg wakes up early... Hollywood emerges from the shadow of Heaven's Gate

Action! Fantasy! Sequel! - The Legacy of Bond, Eastwood & Lucas:
Sean Connery answers a question... Squint hard, say little - how the action hero came to be... Star Wars, Indiana Jones & the creation of the comic book fantasy

The Power Of A Name - The Male Movie Stars:
Tom Cruise arrives in New York City... The romantic hunks - eighties kind of guys... The court jesters - comedy is easy; serious is hard

Working Girls - Taking Women Seriously in the Eighties:
Meryl Streep senses something is wrong... Beauty & brains - the survival of sensuality... Make them laugh, ladies - women & comedy

The Directors - Fighting to Keep it Personal:
Woody Allen has lunch... Playing the commercial game - why the young turks gave up... Oliver Stone & the return of the maverick

Money & Greed - The Business of Movies:
David Puttnam takes an important telephone call... How Disney did what Puttnam couldn't do... The Japanese come to town - money beyond imagination

Beyond Hollywood - The World & the Movies:
The wall comes tumbling down... The British endure Thatcher, the Australians survive success & Canada searches for identity... The French love dolphins & bears, the Germans, Italians & Spanish keep laughing

Epilogue - Backward into the future:
The wagons once again are circled

That's as far as I'll sell this book, but believe me that as good (or bad, I don't know.. [Big Grin] ) as it sounds, it's 10 times better in reality.

For all those who've never heard of it, my advice would be to hunt down a copy ASAP - trust me it'll be the best purchase you'll make all year [Cool] . For those who r lucky enuff to already own a copy, please let me know & share your thoughts/appreciation of this fantastic book! [Smile]

Cheers,
H.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this book off Alibris, and I agree that it's a swell piece of work.

I love all the photos from 80s movies, and the text that accompanies them.

Get this book if you can.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...the Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home