iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Guy from 80s wakes up from coma this week!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guy from 80s wakes up from coma this week!
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An amazing story, here is a condensed run-down from the wire news story:

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Ark. (July 9) - The words began tumbling out - at first just a few nouns and eventually a torrent of phrases.

Terry Wallis, who had been in a coma since a 1984 car accident, regained consciousness last month to the surprise of doctors and the delight of his family, including his mother, who heard his first word in 19 years.

``He started out with 'Mom' and surprised her and then it was 'Pepsi' and then it was 'milk.' And now it's anything he wants to say,'' Stone County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center social director Alesha Badgley said Tuesday.

Terry Wallis, now 39, was riding with a friend in July 1984 when their car left the road and plunged into a creek. Wallis and his friend were found the next day underneath a bridge. The friend was dead and Wallis was comatose.

Wallis' daughter, Amber, was born shortly before the accident, and the coma dragged on for almost two decades. She is now 19 and her dad has said he wants to walk again, for her. He is a quadriplegic as a result of the crash.

The silence ended June 12 when Wallis uttered his first word. He was able to talk a little more a day later and has improved ever since.

Terry's father, Jerry Wallis, said his son talks almost nonstop now, but it seems as though time stopped for him after the wreck. Terry still believes Ronald Reagan is the president.

Terry has asked to speak to his grandmother, who died several years ago, and even recited her phone number - something everyone else in the family had forgotten.

``You see, he's still back in 1984,'' said Jerry Wallis.

``It's kind of peculiar. He wrecked on Friday the 13th and 19 years later he started talking on Friday the 13th,'' Jerry Wallis said.

Amazing! Not to make light of it, but imagine all the great movies from the 80s this guy has to catch up on! How cool that would be.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McFly:
Terry still believes Ronald Reagan is the president.
``You see, he's still back in 1984,'' said Jerry Wallis.

Wow, talking about being 'stuck in the eighties'...
One can only imagine what a shock it would be, when he sees Michael jackson again. [Big Grin]

Things sure have changed since 1984 and not always for the better.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the news article that McFly forwarded:
quote:

"It's kind of peculiar. He wrecked on Friday the 13th and 19 years later he started talking on Friday the 13th," Jerry Wallis said.

Amazing! Not to make light of it, but imagine all the great movies from the 80s this guy has to catch up on! How cool that would be.

The first few movies that guy needs to see are the remaining "Friday the 13th" movies that came out during the 80's!
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hilarious Michael Jackson comment! LOLOL!

He has about five Friday the 13ths to catch up on;

The entire Back to the Future series;

Just about every John Cusack movie;

Just about every John Hughes movie!

A lot of great stuff to bring a smile to this guy who is catching up on life and can no longer walk.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaggyBALLS
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He has never seen The Breakfast Club Either, or Pretty in Pink! how sad! He might have not even seen Sixteen Candles (the best 80's movie EVER) because it was only out for a month before he passed out! LOL

PS Sixteen Candles RULES!

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McFly:
Not to make light of it, but imagine all the great movies from the 80s this guy has to catch up on! How cool that would be.

Some of us are still discovering great 80s movies! this year I discovered: Rock & Rule, Strange Brew, They Still Call Me Bruce?, Gleaming the Cube, RAD, Electric Dreams, The Wizard, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, The Wraith, Tuff Turf, plus some more I can't remember (probably weren't that good) and one day I'll read through all the reviews in the SmartMenu...

80s movies, gotta love em [Big Grin]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Samurai Sweetie   Author's Homepage   Email Samurai Sweetie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is actually sad [Frown] , I would hate to wake up finding out that I've missed out on so much, to wake up and have your own son/daughter not know you, or you them, I'd wish to be put back in my coma. [Frown]

I was in a car accident just last year before my Birthday, I was in a mild coma for 2days, I woke up, scared, sad, etc., so many thoughts and feelings rushing through me all at once, I didn't know what to do or what happened, I just cried. [Frown]

I think had I woken up 20yrs later, I would've wished I'd died in that accident. [Frown]

Posts: 186 | From: Lookout Mountain Road | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIN1124
Rewind Curious
Member # 1674

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIN1124   Email ERIN1124   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about this story!!! When I first read it I felt so sorry for this kid because it's 2003 and he has alot to catch up to. But to look on the bright side, at least he woke up. It's a true miracle and I'm very happy for his family and for his mother for holding on this long and having faith that her son would wake up one day. I don't think I would have been as strong as her and held on for 19 years.
Posts: 7 | From: Philadelphia PA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home