iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Best Movie Endings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Movie Endings
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok folks. This thread is dedicated to your favorite movie endings. It could be an ending that was suprising, romantic, or just made you feel good.

My choice for the number 1 greatest ending in a movie goes to: "Eddie & The Cruisers." What an ending this movie had. I won't ruin it for people who haven't seen it, but the last few seconds will shock you.

My second pick for best ending goes to "At Close Range." This movie has a great end sequence between Christopher Walken and Sean Penn.

Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like too many movies to pick "the" favorite ending, but one of my favorites is the ending to Karate Kid.

He of course wins, but the bad guy basically apologizes and says "you're alright Daniel". That's pretty cool. They could have just had the bad guy walk away defeated, but they actually made up. That makes me feel good. [Smile]

Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy the ending to "Can't Buy Me Love" when Donald [Wink] (I mean Ronald) and Cindy ride off into the sunset on his LAWNMOWER! If you haven't seen this movie yet, I didn't mean to spoil it. By the way if you haven't seen it yet, where have you been! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Endings, hmmm....

There's No Way Out (cool); Fatal Attraction (infamous); and Risky Business (funny - when you think his dad is going to say....)

But favorite? probably When Harry Met Sally - predictable all the way through, heavy on the schmalz, but real cool - almost as sugary as Sleepless In Seattle.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonBoy
Rewind Curious
Member # 280

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JonBoy   Author's Homepage   Email JonBoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my Favourite endings from 80's movies is in Lucas!

the ending in that film made me punch my fists in the AIR just has he did!

GREAT!

Posts: 10 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought 4 cheap films at the weekend cos I wanted something to watch I hadn't seen before and tv is dire at the moment, they're not playing any good films on tv anymore and the flippin' tennis has taken over the evenings (no Simsons, no Malcolm in the Middle, blasted BBC), they were Meatballs, Recruits (Police Academy take-off where almost everyone in it is sex obsessed), Up The Military (another sex obsessed film but really dire) and Catholic Boys aka Heaven Help Us which stars a decent helping of famous 80s actors.

I'd seen Catholic Boys before but didn't know the name, it was really great to watch it again and the ending is brilliant.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massiveretaliation
Master Rewinder
Member # 950

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for massiveretaliation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleepaway Camp hahaha [Wink]
Posts: 168 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnglishRose
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 175

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EnglishRose   Email EnglishRose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I've been trying to get hold of a copy of Catholic Boys since forever. It's such a great film. I could even be tempted to write a review for it as I notice there isn't one!

However I have been totally unsuccessfull. I notice that you give it another name (aka Heaven help us) Is this the name of the film in the UK and the reason why I couldn't find it?

Alternatively could you just tell me where you got it from!

Thanks

Posts: 23 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it from a car boot sale for 50p [Big Grin] someone's listed a copy on eBay if you're still after it: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3334318629
Catholic Boys is the UK title, over in the US they call it Heaven Help Us. I'm suprised it's not on DVD yet as it's sooo 80s even though it depicts a 1960's America and a great film to boot.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RowMan
Rewinder
Member # 1312

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for RowMan   Author's Homepage   Email RowMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I was probably one of the few that was drawn into the 1990 (close to the 80s) Kevin Costner film REVENGE, I thought it had a very brave ending for an American film, but it's probably one of the reasons it didn't do too well at the box office. Nope... not telling you if you haven't seen it.

Still, great performances by Anthony Quinn, Madeline Stowe (hubba hubba), and Miguel Ferrer, along with the smokey/moody direction of Tony Scott. Worth taking a look.

Posts: 35 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic.

Yes, KKid, Lucas, Sleepaway Camp, not a great movie but yes a corker of an ending. Runaway Train along the same lines, not so much the ending but the final shot.

Field of Dreams, Dead Poets. More recently Breakdown (bad guy gets a big rig dropped on him).

But all time, I guess I'd go with KKid.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and what about the most infamous movie ending of all...:"I am your father" from the empire strikes back, I was like [Eek!] ...come again, say what?

and if you're talking downbeat then John Woo pretty much takes the biscuit with the killer...the eyes have it, or not, as the case may be.

but the best ebding of all has to be: "life moves by pretty fast...if you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it".

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep Away Camp was great, KK1 was heart warming and Empire Strikes back was awesome! You guys picked some great endings.

However, I am a Goonies freak so I always loved that ending. I can hear Cyndi Lauper singing "Goonies R Good Enough" right now.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddie Wilson
Rewind Guru
Member # 169

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Eddie Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another very good ending is in "Flight of the Navigator." Throughout the movie, you never know what is real and what might be a dream. I like the last few minutes when David crawls in the family boat and looks to the sky.
Posts: 711 | From: Fort Worth, Texas, USA | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80's-guy_Sweden
Rewind Curious
Member # 1622

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for 80's-guy_Sweden   Email 80's-guy_Sweden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think The Neverending Story has a great end! Bastian comes back to scare those boys.. Flying with Falcor, he makes them jump into a container. Not to mention the great music, that makes it even cooler, I love this movie!
Posts: 2 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

Short Circuit 2 had a great ending, that chase was excellent and then that Hero tune kicked in to add the icing to the cake.
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McFly:
Good topic.
Runaway Train along the same lines, not so much the ending but the final shot.

All you have to do is push the button Manny!!!
Runaway Trail was a great film. I believe it was up for best picture that year. Now correct me if I'm wrong.

Just found this:
Awards

Best Actor (Nominated), Academy Awards, 1985 - Jon Voight
Best Supporting Actor (Nominated), Academy Awards, 1985 - Eric Roberts
Best Film Editing (Nominated), Academy Awards, 1985 - Henry Richardson

Now why is this film not even listed on the site?

Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody remember Hero At Large w/ John Ritter?

An out-of-work actor who is mistaken for "Captain Avenger" decides to act out the role of the do-gooder in real life. "Three's Company" star John Ritter plays the part of the winsome hero.
"...This hero is a sandwich of interesting plausibility and pointed satire..."

"...Ritter has it all. He's adorable....[HERO AT LARGE is] successful when it concentrates on nothing weightier than [Ritter's] easygoing charm..."

This was a great move back in the day!! Now I was only 8 years old at the time and I'm sure several of you guys and gals were not evern around. If you get a change get this movie.

Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenkobra wrote about Runaway Train:

quote:
Now why is this film not even listed on the site?
Only because nobody knows enough to write a review or has taken the time. But it sounds like you know a great deal about this great movie - how about taking the time to write? Click Movie Writers under the Contact Us menu on the home page. At the bottom there's a link to the submission form. Get the IMDB page for the movie up in another browser window (cos there's some stuff there you'll need to reference) and go for it. It's really the only way to get your favorite movies on the site - other than waiting for someone else to come along and beat you to it! [Wink]
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Shrimpmeister..!Bet you thought i'd forgotten about you!No way dude.Anyway,heres a good ending for you....the credits rolling at the end of Last Exit To Brooklyn.Definitely the best bit,the movie was over....thank god.Worst film i've seen along with White Mischief.I spent 4 hours of my life watching these movies.Oh the waste..!
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Not seen L.E.2.B, so can't comment, but remember White Mischief well. The thing that I didn't get in that movie was how anyone, let alone Greta Scacchi, could find Charles Dance remotely attractive. Still, one of life's mysteries.

Outside of 80's, the worst ending I saw to a movie was when Pauly Shore and Stephen Baldwin survived in Biodome - actually I hated the start of the movie, and the middle, for exactly the same reason. I really did waste time there.

Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Working Girl has a awesome ending. If it's on TV I will watch it everytime. Sigourney Weaver was so evil and Tess puts her in her place. And then the Carly Simon song. Good ending!Smart Women Win.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
I think Working Girl has a awesome ending. If it's on TV I will watch it everytime. Sigourney Weaver was so evil and Tess puts her in her place. And then the Carly Simon song. Good ending!Smart Women Win.

Good ending if you a "Chick"!!!
Just kidding!!
Good movie!!!

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Just remembered another one - Clue.

If ya don't like the ending, just hang on, there's another coming! [Smile]

Material girl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 348

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Material girl   Email Material girl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shes having a baby, from the part where she goes into the hospital all the way to the ending credits when all these famous actors are thinking of a name for the baby.
Posts: 69 | From: Somewhere in Middle America | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home